Input Needed On Chokes To Use for Skeet (28ga)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    My new Franchi Instinct L O/U 28 ga came with IC,M, and F chokes. Which of the following options would be best for shooting skeet with this shotgun:
    Buy another IC and use both IC's in the gun
    Buy a C and use C in one barrel and IC in the other
    Buy 2 C's--one for each barrel
    Have one or two custom made skeet tubes for the gun.

Have never used a 28ga for skeet . As a matter of fact--never shot a 28ga. Thoughts from you skeet people would be appreciated !!!

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I'm a newb to skeet and trap(always just shot clays in a field with friends) and just purchased a couple carlson extended chokes(1 skeet and 1 IC) based on the recommendation of my co workers. Just picked up my CZ drake this week and hoping to get out with it soon.

I'll be interested to hear any replies from experienced shooters.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I use to shoot skeet quite a bit back in the late 80s early 90s. I'm no authority on the subject by any means.

Most of my early guns were 12g, skeet/skeet. When you're starting out, you need all the spread you can get. As I got better, and started dusting birds, the chokes didn't matter as much. Moving to 20g, for the weight reduction, had little effect on my scores, once I matched my swing to the lighter gun. I've never shot more than a round or two with a 28, but I did shoot quite a bit with a .410.

To me, and maybe this is only me, the weight of the gun, and the rhythm of the swing will matter more than the choke. If you are on it, you are on it. If you are close, you need all the spread you can get. Go big until you get comfortable with the gun. :twocents:

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I Only use IC for skeet, that is just a personal preference due to the fact I just do not care for the SKEET choke as it is too open for me. I am a guy who has shot full most of my clay target life. I also like IC because it allow a slightly longer shot if I choose to do so. The order from tightest to most open is: Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Improved Cyl, and Skeet......there are a few in between but not considered common.

Top Bottom