• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm looking for a skeet/trap gun, Over the years I've had over/unders, and semi's, I haven't found one that I love, My criterea is that I shoot well with it and can live with the recoil. All things said, Brands and cost are not the factors that get you a good shotgun. I'm looking at

https://www.rkguns.com/charles-daly-601-field-12-gauge-semi-automatic-28-shotgun-930-138.html

because it looks like a knockoff of this

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...-tra-wood-stock-nickel-finish-082442813424.do

I'm willing to give the Charles daley a try to see if it might give me a feel for the Beretta.

Anyone trying one of these out

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking for a skeet/trap gun, Over the years I've had over/unders, and semi's, I haven't found one that I love, My criterea is that I shoot well with it and can live with the recoil. All things said, Brands and cost are not the factors that get you a good shotgun. I'm looking at

https://www.rkguns.com/charles-daly-601-field-12-gauge-semi-automatic-28-shotgun-930-138.html

because it looks like a knockoff of this

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...-tra-wood-stock-nickel-finish-082442813424.do

I'm willing to give the Charles daley a try to see if it might give me a feel for the Beretta.

Anyone trying one of these out

FIFY

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The Meaning of FIFY
    FIFY means "Fixed It For You"
    How does FIFY apply here?

I wasn't being sarcastic, It's true, I've seen some great shooters with cheap guns and some terrible shooters with guns that cost more than my car.

I'm at a loss on this one.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    That's just my way of saying I think you do get what you pay for. That's just my personal opinion because I really like the Baretta and it costs more.
    And now I'm going to have to put one in the safe.

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Always shot best with my Browning Citori. Have you thought about being sure the gun fits properly? Some might some might not. Consider seeing Bob at the Indiana Gun Club for a fitting.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Do you want a Trap gun or a Skeet gun? Though you can use some guns for both of those sports as well as 5-stand and Sporting Clay's, certain configurations lend themselves better to certain disciplines.

For Skeet I used to shoot a shorter barrel 20 ga but it wouldn't work well for Trap. I shot a field semi-auto for Trap which was okay. I'm going to take up Trap again (didn't really care for Skeet) and will start with my field gun but I am hoping this time around I'll get some good guidance from experienced shooters as to what will be the best shotgun for me.

I'm also going to check out 5-stand and Sporting Clay's too. I think due to time restraints and finances Trap will probably be my main focus but we will see.

I had my mind set on buying a Browning Citori CX since it is billed as a "crossover" shotgun to do it all but I am going to wait and see what happens.

If I was looking at a shotgun for clay's I wouldn't skimp on the quality. You will shoot this more in one season than a lifetime of hunting. My 20 ga was a CZ and it started getting loose after just one season. I could tell it would have been a fine enough field gun or occasional informal clay's gun but it wouldn't last under frequent use. And that was an O/U which has less issues than a semi-auto will have.

Buy once, cry once. And if you don't like it, selling the higher quality shotgun is usually easier than a lower priced/quality piece.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm not afraid to spend the money, it's I've been burnt by past loves,

Had a nice Beretta o/u and had it fitted and never really scored with it like I wanted. Had a Rem CT105, Scored with it, loved the gun, it was unreliable,

I'm only going to buy one gun to do the trap/skeet/5 stand/ect. (I have hunting guns), I like an auto over an O/U, (blasphemy right?) I've found that I can't make a derision in 2 or three shooting sessions, I need to shoot a gun a whole season to get a feel for it, This isn't an borrow a gun and shoot 25 and say it's a good gun, I'ts a shoot it for 1 or 2 years then make my mind up.

I know me and I'll probably end up with both, and keep the one I like the best and do something with the other,

I just wanted to know if the Charles was a close enough copy to give me an idea of the other gun.

I live too close to Atturbury to not use the range. I've got too many friends that shoot over there. And everyone of them likes something different that what I want.

I've got to say shooting is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to have fun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not afraid to spend the money, it's I've been burnt by past loves,

Had a nice Beretta o/u and had it fitted and never really scored with it like I wanted. Had a Rem CT105, Scored with it, loved the gun, it was unreliable,

I'm only going to buy one gun to do the trap/skeet/5 stand/ect. (I have hunting guns), I like an auto over an O/U, (blasphemy right?) I've found that I can't make a derision in 2 or three shooting sessions, I need to shoot a gun a whole season to get a feel for it, This isn't an borrow a gun and shoot 25 and say it's a good gun, I'ts a shoot it for 1 or 2 years then make my mind up.

I know me and I'll probably end up with both, and keep the one I like the best and do something with the other,

I just wanted to know if the Charles was a close enough copy to give me an idea of the other gun.

I live too close to Atturbury to not use the range. I've got too many friends that shoot over there. And everyone of them likes something different that what I want.

I've got to say shooting is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to have fun.

I like this post!

I too will have one gun to shoot it all. I figure the more time behind that one gun will outweigh switching between two very different guns. Once we know where a guns hit, we should be able to adjust to the bird, right?

And I'm concerned about making a decision based on a round of Trap. It will be interesting to see what I end up with.

Who knows, I may just shoot the crap out of my field gun and not buy anything!

The auto vs O/U decision is also tough for me. I thought I wanted the O/U because all the cool kids have em and they are easier to clean but maybe I will prefer the auto in the end.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I don't think the person can adapt to a shotgun too much, I think the act of skeet/trap/clay, I think the moving bird shooting is more of a synergy than any other type of shooting.

So that's why I keep trying different guns to find the right combo, I can real bird and rabbit hunt with my 870 the rest of my life and do just fine but if I want 25's there has to be more of a connection.

I'm not going to put in the time to become a world leading trap shooter I just want to have fun when I'm there

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom