• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Bought a 03-A3 a while back and after a little research, don't think the bolt is origional.
    Want to check the headspace, but have a few questions.

1: Are 30-06 headspace gauges a rifle specific thing, or can they be used on any 30-06 rifle?
    2: What is a good set to buy... this may be a 1 time use thing, so I don't need an expensive set.

Thanks,

Johnny C

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Dollars to doughnuts someone on INGO has what you need and will let you use it. Especially these "only need it one time" kind of tools. I wish I had what you need but I do not.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Headspace is usually set with go/no go gauges. These do NOT measure headspace! Instead, they are just limit indicators. If the bolt closes on the go guage but not on the no-go guage, then you know your headspace is within the established limits.

But you won't know where within that tolerance it actually is.

If you just want to make sure the rifle is safe, a go/no go set is all you need.
    I don't have any, so I'm sorry I can't help you.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Are you near ft Wayne? I can help you out.....or for a 1 time use pay a gunsmith....but if you do get a set remember to pull the extractor off the bolt.....also do check the firing pin hole in the bolt, those go overaized....

I have some experience with 03a3 rifles, and I have seen a lot of them with missmached bolts and I have not seen a head apace proplem.....the bigger problem I have seen is a badly eroded throat or muzzle or both

Give us more info on tour 03a3.....I love these old rifles

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you reload, there are two things you can do.
    1. Insert a fired case in a case checking Gage. If it is within the limits of the Gage, headspace is in limits.
    2. If headspace is excessive, when resizing do not set the shoulder back more than .004. or just neck size. You will be obviously making ammo specific for that rifle.

Excessive headspace is not to be feared. Plenty of military boltguns suffer from it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Closing on a no-go doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe to shoot. Just more chance of rupturing a case. Closing on a field gauge means it's unsafe.

Top Bottom