• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    So I inherited an old Winchester lever gun in "38 cal" about 4 years ago. After some research the modern black powder cartridge is 38-40. I believe it's an 1873 but there are no markings to confirm.

The serial number starts with 290, so I believe it's an 1880-1890 manufacture date. Octagonal barrel, with "king's improvement patented March 29, 1866 October 16 1860."

The gun was my great aunt's father's. It sat in a wooden gun case, in FL, for about 40 years as best I cant tell. There is no rust on the rifle, but that's because he had painted it with thick black paint. I had to get the rifle re-blued and I re-finished the wood. As best I can tell all parts (except one tang screw the idiot lost) are original. Rifle looks amazing for being 100+ years old. The re-blueing job does have some patina to it now, but all of it is still there.

Any ideas of value? I'm not trying to sell it or anything, but I'm not sentimentally attached to it. Just trying to asses value and if I need to take better steps to preserve the gun other than keeping in my safe with a Dehumidifier.

I'm afraid to shoot the gun, but I do have a box of shells. Afraid to destroy the value, or blow myself up. The shells are black powder cowboy loads. I will likely never use the rifle. Not a cowboy shooter and I have other more practical lever guns.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Winchester 1873s are the gun that won the west, and like Indiucky said, condition is everything. I would give the bore a good cleaning to see what you have to work with, but these no reason you can't shoot the rifle. With a 290 serial number it was made in 1889. The 38-40 is an accurate cartridge found in Colt revolvers and Lightning rifles of the same era as you Winchester. I shoot it frequently using cast bullets.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Good advice above. Some folks in cowboy action shooting shoot originals. Your gun is made for black powder, not smokeless. I use APP black powder substitute for my reloads when shooting my original Colt 1877. Depending on condition it could be worth $1,000 to $2,000 or more.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Got some pics last night. Never been accused of being a gun photographer.
    hEyhMGx.jpg
    5LdEdSX.jpg

Top Bottom