• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheriff Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    Anderson/Pendleton
    I am somewhat new to Turkey Card shooting and was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the old Marlin 55 Goose guns? I have been looking around to buy one, is it worth the time to find one? Thanks

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I am somewhat new to Turkey Card shooting and was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the old Marlin 55 Goose guns? I have been looking around to buy one, is it worth the time to find one? Thanks
    Personally I prefer hunting Turkey with 338 lapua magnum lol..just kidding

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Every gun, even the same make from the same manufacturer, have different patterning qualities at different distances with different loads.

At best you can influence the outcome by patterning the gun to find shot density.

Will a gun with a longer barrel always give a predictable shot density? No.

The shotgun I have won the most with is a standard length 30in modified choke Winnie model 12 if you can believe it. Why? Because it patterns in an hourglass shape. You just have to know where to aim to put the sweet spot on target.

If you want to get a Marlin then get one. Will it give you a tremendous advantage? No. A person who is familiar with their gun will always have an advantage over one who just shoulders and fires...

Sheriff Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    Anderson/Pendleton
    Thanks Mongo I know and agree completely with what you said, myself having 40 years exerience with racing and building racing engines I fully understand the phyics. I have two 28 inch guns now that I have been working with testing (buying) chokes to do the best I can. I have done pretty good the past couple months winning my share at the shoots, but as like with many old racers you cannot never stop digging and looking for an advantage.

I have often wondered about the Marlin, and at the last shoot a guy showed up with one and won 3 rounds. It could have been beginners luck I can't say. I know that I have spent a lot of time testing (which I enjoy) lately to not look into something that might be of benefit.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Do you shoot stock guns or "sky is the limit" ones?

I have seen people consistently hit the board with the wad on some of those build guns.

There is a guy in Tell City that makes barrels and he knows his stuff.

Down south in places like Celestine and Jasper they take their shoot'n irons serious.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I win a contest or two with a plain-jane Mossberg 500 with a .690 turkey choke. The key is to pattern the gun to see where the densest part of the shot is. Beyond that, it's all luck.

Top Bottom