• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    Picked up a Ranger 101.16 a few weeks ago it shoots 22 S,L,&LR. I've read several articles on it, but the actual history of these rifles is pretty much speculation and very little fact. This is what IS known, it's variation of the model 87 made by Savage/Stevens sometime between 1940-41 as a hopeful M1 trainer, but when the military showed no interest the rifles were marked as Stevens 87M, Springfield A6 and Ranger 101.16 then sold on the civilian market. It also states that there were only 300 or so made. But research also said that the Ranger 101.16 was also produced post WW2 for Sears. Interestingly "Sears" doesn't appear anywhere on my rifle, the only markings on it are Ranger 101.16 (in front of the rear sight), on the barrel under the hand guard there are two patent numbers and "22 Short, Long, or Long Rifle. Long Rifle Automatic Only".
    Ranger 101.16.jpg

But when I search for Sears 101.16 the search brings up the rifle pictured below, there are also several you tube videos describing it as a Sears Ranger 101.16. Images of my rifle only appear in conjunction with references to the Stevens 87M. Does anyone have any more information on these rifles to further confuse me with?

ranger 2.jpg

Thanks, RH

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've got a Springfield 87A same as the savage A6. Can you push the bolt handle in to fire single shot? Does the bolt stay back until you release the trigger?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I bought an 87A a few years ago. I recently inherited another one that needs (needed) a few parts on the feed assembly, I just ordered them this morning from Numrich.

I have an older Numrich catalog, in the back is a store to manufacturer cross reference. It says - a 101.16 crosses to a Savage 6, 87

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    I bought an 87A a few years ago. I recently inherited another one that needs (needed) a few parts on the feed assembly, I just ordered them this morning from Numrich.

I have an older Numrich catalog, in the back is a store to manufacturer cross reference. It says - a 101.16 crosses to a Savage 6, 87

The manufacturer cross reference you mentioned is on the Numrich website also. FYI, another good source of Savage/Stevens parts is All Availble Savage Gun Repair Parts-Bob's Gun Shop,Stevens Gun Repair Parts- Springfield Gun Repair Parts.  Stevens Factory Gun Parts, Savage Factory Gun Repair Parts, Springfield Factory Gun Repair Parts, Stevens 22 Rigfle Parts, Stevens Double Sho . They don't have everything, but they do have a lot of the vintage parts.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I believe that one in the bottom picture is known as a (GILL) model.
    I came across a forum post dedicated to all of these model variations, if I find it I'll try to let you know where it is.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    They are both the same barreled actions with different stock configurations. I like the trainers because of the longer sight radius.

I have a half dozen or so with different trade names on them like Gambel, Ranger, Savage, Wards and so on.

I have one with a scope that will clip the heads off white clover at 50 feet all day long.

By pushing the charging handle in it makes the shortest throw bolt action on the market.

My Gambel has all the internals chromed from the factory. I haven't figured that one out yet.

Good luck with your rifle, it is a fine example.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Oh, and some are marked ".22 LR only" but change out the spring clip in the feeder throat and it will do S, L, and LR just like the rest.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I had some issues with my 87a and firing. Even after cleaning it would fire maybe once or twice out of 10 rounds. I ended up buying a new firing pin as mine looks like it may of broken off a bit. Haven't installed yet due to the weather.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    I had some issues with my 87a and firing. Even after cleaning it would fire maybe once or twice out of 10 rounds. I ended up buying a new firing pin as mine looks like it may of broken off a bit. Haven't installed yet due to the weather.

I hope the firing pin solves the issue. Mine would misload about 99% of the time when I first got it, so I replaced the lifter spring and guide spring. It's not flawless and still misloads about 3 or 4% of the time, but is a huge improvement and I can live with that for now.

Top Bottom