• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Aside from being in the military, have any of you taken/found any great long range civilian/ LEO classes around here? I mean in the midwest, not just Indiana. There are some schools/teachers I found and follow on Instagram and I get a good feeling about them via their pages, but they're all way out West and pages can be deceiving.

OR have you taken any mong range classes out West that were so good you went back for more?

Pre-thanks!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Can’t help you with long range, but Thunder Ranch’s Mid-range rifle course improved my ability out to 700 immensely. It’s pricey, but worth every penny.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I took a practical rifle course, which was mid range (600 yards is as far as we got) from the NRA Outdoor program. I think the program is unfortunately defunct now, but the range we attended during the class offers different courses and instruction throughout the year. Not a short trips. It's in WV near the Dulles airport.
    Peacemaker National Training Center. I would highly recommend. Prior to the class the farthest I'd ever hit was about 125 yds. After the class I was confident taking shots 300-400 yds. Best shot of the weekend was a 6 inch target @ 600 yds.
    FYI I also took 2 deer this year @ 150 yds, something I would not have been confident in before the class.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I saw the Benchrest Club of St. Louis has a 2 day class June 1&2, cost is $100. Details are at their website. That's all I know, I haven't taken the class or shot there.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Attend a long range match at camp Atterbury. You will learn everything you need to know for the cost of the match and ammo from other shooters. Long range matches are shot at known distance, 800, 900, and 1,000 yards.

You can spend a lot of money later on formal classes. No need for fancy calculations. Just learn your come-ups.

Indiana State Rifle And Pistol Association
    Central Indiana Highpower Rifle Shooters

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Attend a long range match at camp Atterbury. You will learn everything you need to know for the cost of the match and ammo from other shooters. Long range matches are shot at known distance, 800, 900, and 1,000 yards.

You can spend a lot of money later on formal classes. No need for fancy calculations. Just learn your come-ups.

What Slough said. OP, I'm happy to help out with any question you might have about CIHPRS and shooting at Atterbury. We host matches at midrange (300, 500, and 600 yards) and long range (800, 900, 1000 yards) twice a month.
    Prone (sling supported) and F-class (bipod or rest) are both welcome. We've got a pile of high masters in each class that are all happy to help get you sorted out.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    This type thing is probably elsewhere too but my own thoughts and worries and wonders are partly why I asked...

If you experiened middle and long range shooters could check the "Three reasons why you shouldn't dial in scope come-ups" article on Field & Stream from a few years ago, I'd appreciate it.

I have the SWFA fixed 10x42 scope on a Savage 10 FCP-SR in .308, for better or for worse.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Convince (pay) Phylodog to come give you a private lesson? That worked great for me. I took a dandy buck at 304 yards the following season.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been to more than one 1,000 yard match where a 14 year old kid blew out the center of the target by laying down with daddy's rifle and following his instruction.

Not to belabor the point, but it really is not complicated. if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, plenty of places will take it.

Get to a NRA mid range or long range match and start squeezing the trigger. It will work out.

dk598

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus, IN

I attended a sniper school for LE at Camp Atterbury in 1999. We shot back to the 800 yard line, plus got to shoot 50 cal. sniper rifles that were going to seal snipers. Very cool experience. I don't remember what organization put it on though...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I attended a sniper school for LE at Camp Atterbury in 1999. We shot back to the 800 yard line, plus got to shoot 50 cal. sniper rifles that were going to seal snipers. Very cool experience. I don't remember what organization put it on though...

Sounds like the ILEA Observer/Sniper School. Was it run by Bob Givan and Randy Davis?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Atterbury is a great place to get started shooting longer ranges.

If you'd like to check your fundamentals then come shoot with RR. What works at 25 works at 400. RR sometimes gets to the 500 yard berm. Depends on how well the class is going.

I'd love to go shoot with the CIHPRS crew! Everything I've heard has been great & you'll get a chance to go much farther out than the RR class.

Top Bottom