• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Did not want to copy/paste the whole article but it is a great read: https://www.readyman.com/blogs/black-autumn/why-the-ar-15-sucks-for-preppers?

Funniest part: The star chamber and bolt face are perhaps the single biggest design flaw of the AR-15. That’s the eight-petaled flower at the front of the bolt. Flowers don’t belong in assault rifles. Some say the star chamber provides accuracy. It does not. Bolt-action sniper rifles don’t have star chambers. They have two or three lug bolts and they are the gold standard for accuracy.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Another random internet opinion...

1. Every weapons system undergoes modification & update. No exceptions.
    The longer it's in service, the more modifications/upgrades/updates it will get.

2. What you can't tell the 'Tacti-Cool' guys is the A1 & A2 sights give you more preferral vision, and a wider field of view.
    Your head down and tilted to assume firing position on sloped stocks limits your field of vision.

3. Case adheasion to the chamber is called 'Stiction' and it's directly related to the surface area of the case in relationship to the surface finish of the chamber.

stic·tion
    /ˈstikSHən/
    nounPHYSICS

• the friction which tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion.

• A barrel with a smooth/polished (or hard chromed) chamber will reliably release.
    Maybe this guy should have cleaned his chambers and/or not let the chambers corrode...

I find he is making excuses to promote his personal preference and/or sell rifles/parts for his buddies...

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I Agree!

9kDLs8o.gif

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Can someone please explain to me how a 28 year SF veteran has yet to figure out how to clean the chamber of the AR series of rifles? I had that figured out by the end of boot camp.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    :dunno: my ars suck. They don't give me enough practice missing, or i.r.a's. They shoot great, don't break, I think mine are defective.. also my m4 gave me idk how many flawless rounds in all conditions..idk I'm on the internet everyone is an expert.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    To each their own.

All I can say is I am a .30 cal guy. Never liked 5.56, and I have my own reasons but I don't try to convince others.

I will say I have heard more people over sell the capabilities of the m16/m4 platform than admit it's limitations.

The best thing it has going for it, IMO, is it is cheap to feed and there is a multitude of add-on's available to individualize them.

This has created a whole new market just individualizing something that there are ten's of million's of and allowing everyone to think they can out design the manufacturers by shuffling the component's together themselves.

Smart marketing...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I suppose you could say that, on one hand, the AR dates to the 1950s. How many inventions from then are still considered cutting edge tech?

Then again, it's had continuous development since then, really taking off since the AWB lapsed and GWOT/contracting got big.

And it's not necessarily the case that all the "failures" of the M4-- one particular variant of the AR15 platform-- apply to all ARs. Gripes about timing or reliability generally go away with longer barrels and gas systems.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I suppose you could say that, on one hand, the AR dates to the 1950s. How many inventions from then are still considered cutting edge tech?

Then again, it's had continuous development since then, really taking off since the AWB lapsed and GWOT/contracting got big.

And it's not necessarily the case that all the "failures" of the M4-- one particular variant of the AR15 platform-- apply to all ARs. Gripes about timing or reliability generally go away with longer barrels and gas systems.
    I don't think the AR is cutting edge tech anymore. That doesn't mean it isn't a good platform though.

Kind of like the B52. Better bombers have been produced, but the B52 is still dropping bombs for us.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    That 28-year SF veteran is one of the shadiest people in the industry. I'd count my fingers if I shook hands with him. His opinion ranks right up there with Voda's for me.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Is this for real? Or is this guy just trolling? I can't tell.

Also, the comment section of that article is hilarious.

Yea I'm kinda there too. It kinda reads like a list of why it's a horrible rifle but it also either lists how the issues have been addressed or the complaint is just silly with no solution proposed "the hammer only goes 90 degrees" So? what gun goes further. quite a few don't rotate at all (striker-fired). Meh, listing problems without solutions is just complaining.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    To each their own.

All I can say is I am a .30 cal guy. Never liked 5.56, and I have my own reasons but I don't try to convince others.

I will say I have heard more people over sell the capabilities of the m16/m4 platform than admit it's limitations.

The best thing it has going for it, IMO, is it is cheap to feed and there is a multitude of add-on's available to individualize them.

This has created a whole new market just individualizing something that there are ten's of million's of and allowing everyone to think they can out design the manufacturers by shuffling the component's together themselves.

Smart marketing...

I KNOW I'm gong to take a ton of crap about this...

I prefer a 7.62 NATO over a 5.56 NATO also.

The first 'Flat Top' AR I ever saw was in Israel and the IDF had sawed the carry handle off an AR10 and TIG welded a picatinny rail on top for optics.
    The IDF deployed them to great effect...

I was trained on both the M14/M21 and SR25, and I'll take the SR25 99 times out of 100.
    The M14/M21 is as sold as a tank, and dead blow hammer reliable, it just didn't 'Fit' me as well as the SR25 did.
    When you have to deploy with the full systems, the SR25 was a more compact & lighter weight option, but just by a little.
    (Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain)

*IF* you got a really good M21 it would reach about 200 meters further accurately, but an exceptional M21 was rare and most operations were well within the range of an off the shelf SR25 99.5% of the time they were dead even all else being equal.
    The off the shelf, standard SR25 was as consistent as the sun setting in the west, virtually no variation out of the box.
    It's not like field Marines got the specialized equipment the Navy Seals got... We got rebuilt Viet Nam era M14/M21 rifles.

If you discount the accurized FN or G3 variants, both in 7.62 NATO, you won't live long.
    I just don't have the trigger time on them I have on an M21 or SR25.
    I don't know what your preference is, but I wouldn't discount FN/G3 accurized if I were considering adding a 7.62 NATO to a 'Collection'.

Since I have AR15 clones, I go with an SR25 because it's familiar ergonomics and a lot of parts interchange reducing spare parts, tools & knowledge base required.

--------------

What some overlook is an 'AR-47', an AR that shoots 7.62x39 and accepts AK mags/drums.
    It's an underpowered .30 cal battle rifle cartridge, but it's still .30 Cal, and through an AR clones, it's more accurate.
    Not as accurate as a 5.56 or 7.62 NATO, but it's cheap, reasonably reliable, and so are the mags/accessories.
    Again, most small parts are interchangable with standard AR clones, so a reduction in spare parts needed.

I've owned a couple, and they are just stupid fun, cheap shooting!

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Yea I'm kinda there too. It kinda reads like a list of why it's a horrible rifle but it also either lists how the issues have been addressed or the complaint is just silly with no solution proposed "the hammer only goes 90 degrees" So? what gun goes further. quite a few don't rotate at all (striker-fired). Meh, listing problems without solutions is just complaining.

It's a 'Pseudo-Expert' that doesn't know the correct term, which is 'Lock Time'.

'ONLY' 90* swing of the hammer actually reduces lock time, the further the hammer has to move, the more TIME between trigger break & rifle firing...
    Conventional bolt rifles have a very shot lock time simply because they take the hammer out of the mix, a firing pin spring directly propels the firing pin into the primer resulting in faster ignition,

Quicker elapsed time between trigger break & ignition is LESS time you have to move the rifle off target.

The FURTHER the hammer has to travel, the LONGER the lock time and the more time the marksman has to move off target.

The hammer is mass in motion which can move the rifle, and the action of the trigger pull is force exerted on the rifle.
    If you hit the trigger stop BEFORE ignition, the trigger pull can move the rifle.

There is a reason I keep over travel in my long range triggers, so a dead stop on the trigger doesn't pull the shot off target.
    It's the same as jerking the trigger in effect.
    I'm aware this is diametrically opposed to 'Conventional Dogma' of having the stop directly being the trigger break point, but I'm not 'Conventional'.
    I want the trigger MOVING when ignition/muzzle exit happens so I don't pull the shot when I hit the stop...

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    That 28-year SF veteran is one of the shadiest people in the industry. I'd count my fingers if I shook hands with him. His opinion ranks right up there with Voda's for me.

DevilDog has it right - Jeff Kirkham, the guy behind Readyman, is also the “brains” behind the RATS Tourniquet and is under some serious fire for his extremely questionable and underhanded marketing of the RATS TQ:

https://primaryandsecondary.com/trust-but-verify-and-follow-the-money/

TL;DR synopsis:

Jeff cherrypicked information from various studies to “back” his RATS TQ as being superior to CATs and SOFFTies and has bought domain names, including ones that a researching buyer might access, to misrepresent North American Rescue (the maker of the CAT TQ) to funnel into his own profits, without providing real, safe patient care and effective hemorrhage control.

This battle is heating up quite nicely between medics and those without TCCC knowledge, including other companies that are in bed with Kirkham, including Black Rifle Coffee Company (Evan Hafer is President of BRCC and Vice President of Readyman) and Article-15 Clothing (president is Mat Best, who we all know love the videos, and whom Evan Hafer is very good friends with Best.)

For all the dirt, Combat Medic WTF Moments on FB has all the up-to-date information and the comments really drive it home:

https://www.facebook.com/CMWTFM/

Last edited:

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    DevilDog has it right - Jeff Kirkham, the guy behind Readyman, is also the “brains” behind the RATS Tourniquet and is u see some serious fire for his extremely questionable and underhanded marketing of the RATS TQ:

https://primaryandsecondary.com/trust-but-verify-and-follow-the-money/

TL;DR synopsis:

Jeff cherrypicked information from various studies to “back” his RATS TQ as being superior to CATs and SOFFTies and has bought domain names, including ones that a researching buyer might access, to misrepresent North American Rescue (the maker of the CAT TQ) to funnel into his own profits, without providing real, safe patient care and effective hemorrhage control.

This battle is heating up quite nicely between medics and those without TCCC knowledge, including other companies that are in bed with Kirkham, including Black Rifle Coffee Company (Evan Hafer is President of BRCC and Vice President of Readyman) and Article-15 Clothing (president is Mat Best, who we all know love the videos, and whom Evan Hafer is very good friends with Best.)

He's been dishonestly marketing since day one, when he trademarked "TCCC" then put "TCCC-Approved" on his rubber bands. Knowing full-well the average person was not educated on the difference between TCCC and CoTCCC.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    this feels like one of the articles that is just meant to get clicks and discussions. every weapon has it + and -. Some turd is always gonna try to do the you're so dumb if you use it speech. A minie ball will kill you just as well as a 5.56 in the right hands.

Top Bottom