• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Picked up this 1891 Colt Lightning in 44-40 and noted some stamps on the stock, receiver and barrel that say "Western". Some internet work revealed that it was the property of Western Costume Company, founded in 1912 and probably the largest and longest lived Hollywood movie prop house in the business. They supplied and manufactured costumes and props for movies shot all over the world, ones like Cleopatra and The Ten Commandments. The internet only provided a Lightning being used in one movie, For a Few Dollars More, it's one of Lee Van Cleef's guns, seen briefly when he unrolls his arsenal on his horse. The Lightning is just under the long barreled revolver in the photo.

The movie was shot mostly in Spain, so I'm working on figuring out where the props might have come from. Both of my sons are in the film business and will help, but that info may be lost in time. Either way the rifle will need some repair so I'm going to get it apart and cleaned up. The stock is in bad shape so I won't test fire it until I get some work done, but the mechanics all seem to be working.

I will keep the forum posted as the project progresses.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Closing in on it. Carlo Simi, the costume and set designer for A Few Dollars More, worked extensively with Western Costume Company on all of Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Has to be the dirtiest gun I've ever worked on, as a plus though, the grime seems to have prevented corrosion of the metal. I wonder how long it's been since anybody had it open.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Has to be the dirtiest gun I've ever worked on, as a plus though, the grime seems to have prevented corrosion of the metal. I wonder how long it's been since anybody had it open.

Very cool find Leadeye. Does it appear to be mechanically sound and in firing condition so far (other than the cleaning process), or no?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This has to be the dirties gun I've ever worked on. The internals are caked with a hard dry black dirt held together by something like dried snot. The good thing is that as hard as it is to remove it's done a remarkable job of preserving the 128 year old metal underneath. I don't see any reason so far that this gun won'r be shooting once it's reassembled. I'll put this question of identifying the origin of the dirt to the milsurp guys on the board who have probably done a lot more extensive cleaning than I have.

dk598

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    So is this a functioning rifle? I thought almost all props were made to not fire by plugging up the barrel, removing firing pins, etc. Hope you have a functioning piece of history!

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    What a cool find! Sounds like your the first to actually clean it though. Keep us tuned in on how it runs once cleaned up.

ive had good luck with ballistol and it seems friendly on about everything. Not sure how well it would work on caked on dirt/grime however.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll have to look up 5-1 Blanks, sounds like black powder. The rifle is clean and back together except for the screws that had to be removed by drilling. The internal metal is in excellent condition, no corrosion at all. When those get in I'll take it out for a shooting session. The stock and pump grip were too far gone for use so they are in a box. Fortunately I had a complete set of decent wood from an 1890 vintage Lightning in the parts box.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fortunately I had a complete set of decent wood from an 1890 vintage Lightning in the parts box.

Only on a gun board would a guy have "lying around" parts for a 130 year vintage piece of equipment. :D

(Ok, some car guys might come close. And some farmers. But you get the idea.)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Only on a gun board would a guy have "lying around" parts for a 130 year vintage piece of equipment. :D

(Ok, some car guys might come close. And some farmers. But you get the idea.)

I am also a car guy and a tree farmer.;)

Top Bottom