• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadowlurker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2018
    the shadows
    When I torque the barrel nut, I torque it, loosen and re-torque 2 more times. A co-worker says to use some special grease on the threads, any truth to this? I have never had a problem, but consider myself a shade tree gunsmith. Always open to learning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always oil the threads and the register points. Gives you a true torque reading and 2 times will do it just fine but if you are more comfy with 3 then carry on.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I follow the same procedure using high temp grease. My AR-15 gunsmith manual calls for anti-seize.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I follow the same procedure using high temp grease. My AR-15 gunsmith manual calls for anti-seize.
    Antiseize is whats in the specialty ones they sell for this. You can also just use high temp grease. I have MOST always done it 3 times but like CM said 2 will get you to the promise land. I highly doubt some of these manufacturers season the threads. Also the torque speq range on an AR is so broad that once you've built afew you arent ever going ti under or over torque one unless you're an idiot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Antiseize is whats in the specialty ones they sell for this. You can also just use high temp grease. I have MOST always done it 3 times but like CM said 2 will get you to the promise land. I highly doubt some of these manufacturers season the threads. Also the torque speq range on an AR is so broad that once you've built afew you arent ever going ti under or over torque one unless you're an idiot.

Bingo. If you have pulled torque on enough items you get a feel for it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    When assembling 2 dissimilar metals, lubrication is needed,to keep the metals from "gaulding" . This allows the parts to mate together be reducing the coefficient of drag.
    then by removing the nut and reinstalling it,you are certine the parts have mated or seated to each other,because when you tourqe the nut, you are stretching the threads. By stretching the threads,once before final assembly, the nut will not come loose in operation.
    This assembly method has been used by machinery builders for years.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I just keep a small tube of Permatex Anti-Seize around..and use a Q-Tip to apply a small amount on the threads where they start, thread the barrel nut on-n-off a couple of times to get the Permatex spread evenly, and then turn it tight to torque specs twice (2x)...and have never had an issue later.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just moved a few barrels around lately. I've been greasing and seasoning in recent years, but the two that for sure weren't when assembled required heat to remove.

Top Bottom