• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zz47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Connersville
    I bought a 788 bolt action 30 30 years ago. It was used and I put it away and really just forgot about it. Anyone have any opinions about this firearm? Good, Bad or indifferent!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    One of Remington's most accurate mistakes. I think a bunch of guys were drinking at the Remy factory one week after Mardi Gras and made a Plain good shooting rifle. Everyone I've delt with is reasonably accurate and almost impossible to find magazines for, Guard yours well. According to popular belief the rear locking bolts cannot be accurate but they are. If you want a decent hunting gun then you have a fine one.
    They sold a bunch in this area in 223 to the prison system with Iron sights. Go figure, A prison break that you get to run a while before they drop you.

There is a small group of collectors and they will tell you that they are blessed by angels. The rest of us shoot them for what they are worth. If you burn the barrel out I don't know if it would be worth re barreling.

I don't know what your wanting out of this post but if you want the shoot the thing then do it. If you want to preserve it for the ages then do that also. The stock finish was a cheap finish so don't put too many high powered chemicals on it and of course the blue was a bit thin so keep a reasonable sheen of oil on it.

zz47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Connersville
    No I was just asking for opinions. It’s not going anywhere and I won’t wear the barrel out. I got lucky and found a set of scope mounts for it.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I've had one in .223 for years. Bought it at the Bullet Hole in Southport after a smash and grab. The stock was nicked up some so it sold right at $100. The thing will shoot 52 grain Speer HPs and IMR 3031 into an inch at 100 yards with boring regularity. If I recall correctly it had the fastest lock time of any Remington rifle.

It's had the barrel shortened to about 18 inches due to corrosive 5.56 (Singapore if I recall.) Still shoots MOA.

Note to self; it needs to be exercised. Been too long.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I bought one over 15 yrs ago. It is a 243. It's rough looking on the outside. The guy that had it kept it in his truck. He didn't need it anymore so I bought it for $225. It is a great rifle. Very accurate. And yes, guard the magazine with your life. That's my only complaint about the gun. The mag release button depresses easily and if you are not careful, you will lose it. Once while hunting, my mag dropped out. Luckily I was able to retract my steps and find it. Since then, I have kept an eye out for another one but no luck. I now just carry the mag in my pocket until I get to my hunting spot. I was told by a couple of people that at the time, the 788 was more accurate than the 700. Since the 788 was cheaper and shot better, sales on the 700 went down. That's why they quit making them. Again, that is hearsay, so take it how you want. Regardless, I love mine and won't get rid of it!!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had second version, in 7mm 08.
    Could get rid of that thing fast enough.

Only reasons to get a 788...................dirt cheap.
    Or you want a bolt rig in .30-30 or .44 mag.

Too many fall for the nosalgia of them.
    Better IMHO to get a 700 ADL or Sportsman 78 if wanting an older lesser cost rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 788 shot decent (usually) and was cheaper than the 700.
    But 700's back then had a good reputation and mine were dandy.
    Most of that "better" talk was just folks trying to rationalize why they bought the ugly thing.

Know guys with some good shooting 788's.
    Now plenty of guys with good shooting 700's.
    Turds could be had in either I suppose.
    But one being a better shooter................I think that more the luck of finding the ammo the rifle liked.
    Most folks proly shooting factory, and maybe tried two types LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .30-30 and .44 mag in 788 would be the more collectible ones IIRC.
    If ya have one, and it's not pristine...........sounds like a great rifle to pop a deer with.
    Private land of course, since .30-30 not legal under PCR spec.

LOL, be neat to hunt public land and see somebody toting a 788 in .44 mag.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had 2 of these. 1 in 22/250 that was on point and dropped more than a few critters and the other was I believe a .24. It to was on point. Never an issue with either of them. They were sold off when I retired to help fund all new appliances for the spouse.

Top Bottom