• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Hoping you can help me decide. I'm looking for a sort of general purpose 7.62x39 bolt action to mess around with. No dedicated purpose, just a fun, handy rifle (think scout rifle but without all the arguments of what constitutes a scout rifle). I'm pretty well set on the x39 round. Would likely throw on a low magnitude scope for mid-range shooting, but would like the option of iron sights if possible.

I'm stuck between the Ruger American Ranch, the CZ527, or the possibility of "building" a gun from a Howa 1500 barreled action.

I have a few minutes before my lunch break is over, so here are a few initial talking points.

Ruger- heard many good things, takes Mini-30 magazines, threaded barrel. Downsides are the stock feels cheap, and no iron sights (scope needed)

CZ- fired one, enjoyed it. Slightly more that what I'd want to spend in one go, although it does have irons and a nice stock out of the box.

Howa- would be interesting to have something a bit unique with my choice of stock. Threaded barrel. Downside is no irons (scope needed).

Have talked to a fellow InGoer, but wanted some additional input, and to see if there are any options I've overlooked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I think all 3 are good rifles.

1) Here are a few things I thought of. If you have a suppressor, the iron sights won't matter. If you don't have a can, I personally don't see the need for a threaded barrel. The x39 round doesn't need a muzzle brake. (again, that's my opinion)

2) If you want irons, the CZ is the only one to go with.

3) How picky are you about triggers? The Ruger and CZ are adjustable and the Howa (at least the one I looked at) had a 2 stage trigger.

4) Is weight an issue?

5) Customer support? I know Ruger is good, but I have no idea on the other 2.

If you are not going to put money in it after you buy it, pick what feature(s) mean the most to you and go with that one.

I don't think you can make a bad choice either way............but I do love the CZ.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Another vote for the CZ. I have several (not in your caliber), and they're all fine rifles. In terms of price, buy once, cry once. I'm sure the other options are fine too, I just have no experience with them.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    After thinking it over a bit at work (I was still mildly productive), I think I've weeded out the Ruger. Incredible value, but to get the things I want, it would likely end up being the most expensive choice, or at least on par with the Howa.

That leaves the Howa and the CZ. I'm not a huge trigger snob (Ask Aero...), But the CZ is quite nice. Haven't tried a Howa but I've heard pretty good things. Threaded barrel is a plus, as I'll likely get sucked into the suppressor world down the line. Point taken on the irons, they're not necessary, but in a perfect world I'd like to have them.

The CZ is almost too pretty to mess with, which I think is one of the things that's holding me back. I really don't have anything bad to say past that. Even if I don't go with the 527, a CZ bolt gun will be joining the stable at some point (Their Mannlicher stocked rifles are drop dead gorgeous)

The Howa gives me the opportunity to choose the stock and sight system (minus irons) that I'd prefer, as well as spread the purchase price out and give me "the thrill of the hunt" (or at least annoy the significant other in obsessively researching what I'm putting into it).

I guess I'm stuck between something that is almost what I want right, and gorgeous right out of the box; vs. something that will let me tailor it to some degree to what I want without any shred of guilt.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are you set on building on a Howa platform?
    Have you looked here, American Built Arms Company Home Page

I just looked, and they are out of the gun I was thinking about.
    I have an AB Arms rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor that was built on the Howa 1500 barreled action.

It is a very nice setup, although a little on the heavy side.
    It's a solid aluminum chassis.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you find one to inspect.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Are you set on building on a Howa platform?
    Have you looked here, American Built Arms Company Home Page

I just looked, and they are out of the gun I was thinking about.
    I have an AB Arms rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor that was built on the Howa 1500 barreled action.

It is a very nice setup, although a little on the heavy side.
    It's a solid aluminum chassis.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you find one to inspect.
    I'm not set on it yet, however I am looking for more of a general purpose bolt gun as opposed to a bench rest gun. The majority of what I'm seeing there falls into the second category.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The CZ is a fabulous rifle and well worth it. I've had a couple and the only things I would change would be to add a tangent rear sight like their rimfires and (dreaming) a left hand version.

If you don't mind a slightly shorter 12.75" LOP, several onsite vendors like Bud's, Classic Arms and Whittakers are blowing out the now discontinued Youth model for $450-$495.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    After thinking it over a bit at work (I was still mildly productive), I think I've weeded out the Ruger. Incredible value, but to get the things I want, it would likely end up being the most expensive choice, or at least on par with the Howa.

That leaves the Howa and the CZ. I'm not a huge trigger snob (Ask Aero...), But the CZ is quite nice. Haven't tried a Howa but I've heard pretty good things. Threaded barrel is a plus, as I'll likely get sucked into the suppressor world down the line. Point taken on the irons, they're not necessary, but in a perfect world I'd like to have them.

The CZ is almost too pretty to mess with, which I think is one of the things that's holding me back. I really don't have anything bad to say past that. Even if I don't go with the 527, a CZ bolt gun will be joining the stable at some point (Their Mannlicher stocked rifles are drop dead gorgeous)

The Howa gives me the opportunity to choose the stock and sight system (minus irons) that I'd prefer, as well as spread the purchase price out and give me "the thrill of the hunt" (or at least annoy the significant other in obsessively researching what I'm putting into it).

I guess I'm stuck between something that is almost what I want right, and gorgeous right out of the box; vs. something that will let me tailor it to some degree to what I want without any shred of guilt.

Yes, they are gorgeous and sweet to handle too. :D

The ones chambered in medium bore cartridges are starting to command a bit of a premium price though. I was lucky to find one in .243 that had been opened up to .243 AI for a very good price.

Top Bottom