• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'll be heading to Florida in a couple of days for a short period. There's a pawn shop just south of where I'm staying. Last time I was there, they had a few rifles that I was interested in and I'm sure they will have some this time around, too.
    I'd like to bring one of them back home, but I've never done an out of state purchase before. So I have a couple of questions here:

1- Do I need any special paperwork prior to heading in there, or is it going to be just like any purchase I'd make here in Indy?
    2- FL's new laws state that there MUST be a 3 day waiting period for firearms purchases. However, CCW license holders and hunting license holders are exempt from this. I have both, but of course they are Indiana based. What's the chances that this will exempt me? I'll only be in state for 3 days, so my chances of getting that BG check to pass before I leave are slim to none.

Any help or directions for help are greatly appreciated!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I bought a shotgun in TN 7 yrs ago. Paid a fee and did their background check walked out after passing. Bought a marlin 60 in Georgia about the same time. Did a background check and walked out the same day.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    OK, so it sounds like paperwork wise, all I need is my ID and payment.
    But what about those extended BG checks? Does anyone have experience/knowledge on that?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "Background checks" are NICS - i.e. done by the federales and it doesn't matter where you are.

"Waiting periods" don't have any actions attached to them except waiting, I believe. (Yeah, they're dumb like that.)

You might want to call the pawn shop with these questions, or if you don't want to tip your hand to them, call another pawn/LGS store.

PS - say "hi" to Florida Man for me. . . . . or, better yet, don't.

Stolen from Printcraft's post:
    tv3oU66.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I would call ahead of time and ask.. Some counties have waiting periods unless you have a Florida Concealed Carry.. But you may ask them if an Indiana Concealed carry would work.

Because even if legally you may be able to buy the item, the Shop owner may still work with rules he wants that makes him feel good

Last edited:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll give the shop a call and see what they say. I don't mind "showing my hand." If I can't get something while I'm there, then it is what it is. I'll let you guys know what I find out and what happens if I end up going down and attempting to buy something.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I just returned from Florida and was told by the shop owner that he couldn't sell a firearm to me because I was out of state.
    I didn’t push it because they didn't have anything I wanted anyway.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just returned from Florida and was told by the owner that he wouldn't sell a firearm to me because I was out of state.
    I didn’t push it because that didn't have anything I wanted anyway.

Fixed it for him.

Unless there was some miscommunication about transporting a handgun...

Injess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Columbus
    If they had anything you really wanted I'm sure they could ship it to a local FFL here in Indiana if they won't sell it to you because you're out of state. I've always found it to be silly that the NICS is a federal system yet you can't buy a firearm out of state.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Hm, shipping it to the shop I frequent isn't a terrible idea. I'll give them a call in the morning and see if they would be able to help with that.

I'll add that I called the shop in FL and they confirmed that I'd have to wait 3 working days before they can transfer. Sucks, because I'll be coming home one day shy of that. Maybe transferring to my local dealer is a possibility. Depends on shipping. Not really interested in paying a good chunk of shipping for what I'm after. It would have to be really special in order for me to do that.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-firearm-nonlicensee-who-resident-another-state

May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensee to a nonlicensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensee whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the licensee in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]

Just confirm that it is fine with both FL & IN law on the long gun and you should be good to go as long as the pawn shop is up to speed and willing.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Pawn shops here are ludicrous on their prices and most guns shops are too. They act as if you have to pay their week's rent with every purchase. Anyway, probably not gonna happen for you.

I asked my FFL friend the following:

Indiana resident with a indiana license walks into a florida gun shop- wants to buy a long gun and you say?

his response:

show me proof of residency, government issued documents such as something from property appraiser , car registration etc, utility bills will not work except for tax documents

I asked another FFL friend the same question and his response:

'No clue"

LOL - so he wont do it. Unless you have residency here that you can prove then wont work.

And the first FFL says
    "all firearms have a 3 wait now without the CWP"

I was at Rural King where a lady had a registration and they were shouting at rural king employees but whatever they had would not work. My thoughts are dont shop for overpriced guns as a pawn shop. Bring your guns with you. Shipping makes no sense becuase it will cost you about 50 bucks plus tax. There is nothing here that you cannot get in Indiana(except good weather year round, beaches, meth, opioids, guns pointed at you for trespassing on public roads, insanely high insurance rates, broken promises and bad service, a gf with a felony, poor firearm safety and knownledge and all the other Fl stuff)

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    he is out of luck unless he can PROVE residency

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-firearm-nonlicensee-who-resident-another-state

May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensee to a nonlicensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensee whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the licensee in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]

Just confirm that it is fine with both FL & IN law on the long gun and you should be good to go as long as the pawn shop is up to speed and willing.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Funny, Ocala is where I'm headed. The shop is just south of Wildwood.
    Just called my local shop. He said a transfer to them is all good. $25 for the transfer plus whatever the other shop wants to charge on shipping. Figure I'll at least window shop while I'm there. As I said earlier, if the shipping is too much or they don't want to play ball, no worries. I'm down that way at least once a year and usually longer than three days. It can wait. Though, it is utterly stupid....

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Nordic pawn shop?
    Funny, Ocala is where I'm headed. The shop is just south of Wildwood.
    Just called my local shop. He said a transfer to them is all good. $25 for the transfer plus whatever the other shop wants to charge on shipping. Figure I'll at least window shop while I'm there. As I said earlier, if the shipping is too much or they don't want to play ball, no worries. I'm down that way at least once a year and usually longer than three days. It can wait. Though, it is utterly stupid....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I carry copies of my FFL's license in the glove compartment of my truck, just in case.

USDS has theirs in downloadable form right on their website. I think that's a great idea. If I'm having something transferred there (online purchase), I can send a copy of their FFL right to the seller instead of having to bug them to do it. It would work just as well FTF if one were to download and print it off too.

Top Bottom