• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    So, I'm leaving for Arizona next week. I just built a 300 pistol that I want to take with due to some of the locales we are traveling through or stopping in, even with avoiding the worst. The only item I don't have that can't be begged or borrowed at this point (aka I forgot to order it with the rest of the build- always something) is a forward assist (plus I'm vacation broke!).

My question is, can you safely run an AR without a FA? I don't see any reason why not, but it's worth asking.

Pic of the "mock-up" from before I started building today.
    6ae92fd6f357c1fbde1c1a164b70ff7f.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    So, I'm leaving for Arizona next week. I just built a 300 pistol that I want to take with due to some of the locales we are traveling through or stopping in, even with avoiding the worst. The only item I don't have that can't be begged or borrowed at this point (aka I forgot to order it with the rest of the build- always something) is a forward assist (plus I'm vacation broke!).

My question is, can you safely run an AR without a FA? I don't see any reason why not, but it's worth asking.

Pic of the "mock-up" from before I started building today.
    6ae92fd6f357c1fbde1c1a164b70ff7f.jpg

Yes, you can shoot without assist. You get very little blow through it, just as any time shooting wear safety glasses.:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Why not just order one and have it shipped expedited? Its only Wednesday, chances are you could have one at you door by Monday

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Why not just order one and have it shipped expedited? Its only Wednesday, chances are you could have one at you door by Monday
    We leave early next week right after I sleep off a 36 hour shift. Unless I got it tomorrow (no way I'm paying that shipping fee) my two 36 hr pre-vacation shifts are seriously cramping my ability to do anything after tomorrow.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    We leave early next week right after I sleep off a 36 hour shift. Unless I got it tomorrow (no way I'm paying that shipping fee) my two 36 hr pre-vacation shifts are seriously cramping my ability to do anything after tomorrow.

Do you have gander outdoors around there? Or any other local sources?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Any gasses escaping will encounter the open ejection port first, and then the hole where the fowrard assist should be.
    As stated up thread, wear eye protection and carry on.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Not to be rude, but this AR is for really bad situations or if SHTF while you’re traveling in AZ?

Will you you have an opportunity to sight it in? Test fire it at least?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

If you could order one and have it before leaving it only takes maybe a minute to install, especially if you have proper roll pin punch.
    Like others have said though, you'll be fine without it.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Not to be rude, but this AR is for really bad situations or if SHTF while you’re traveling in AZ?

Will you you have an opportunity to sight it in? Test fire it at least?
    Working on that. Local club hasn't processed my membership yet. It's not my only gun either, and I have more than one plan. But why mess with it before we leave if it won't work?

I've built a number of ARs, but usually not on such a clock when I miss a part.

If it doesn't work out where I know it's reliable I'll just bring it in the semi-likely event that I get range time on vacation. And then pack my known good (hand)guns. Current rifle supply is probably too big/long for the space I'm allotted for gun stuff lol

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Do you have gander outdoors around there? Or any other local sources?

One shop left that hasn't been crushed by a windstorm-tossed tree, and one more by work. I've checked. No chains that would actually carry AR parts.

Again, it isn't the end of the world. But this thing is just so nice, feels so good, and is so tiny. I'm trying.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    You shouldn't have any problems but wear glasses and maybe cover it with some black tape. I've seen smoke roll out of the empty FA before.

I have a couple spares if you're around Lafayette tomorrow. FWIW...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Just to be nosey, what do you do that has you working 36 hour shifts? My first guess would either be fire or medic.

Feel free not to answer if you don't want to, I'm just genuinely curious.

Freelance hamster trainer. It's a demanding gig but the money is well worth it.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Freelance hamster trainer. It's a demanding gig but the money is well worth it.
    Gerbil! I'm a Gerbil Trainer, you fool!

Fire/Medic, hence the username (though it is pretty subtle since most don't know what Irons are)

And now I'm having trouble getting the bolt to seat, so this, again, may well be moot. Sigh.

Top Bottom