• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    At range today. Running famfire for someone who wanted to have some exposure to the AK platform before a .gov class.

When clearing the weapon, ALWAYS look in the breech AND look back to the bolt face. Sometimes the .30RS will stick to the bolt. Happened today before we were about to check targets.

I caught it but I was stupid and nearly negligent for not going over this sufficiently in the lecture.

Thank you for reading this.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    NONSENSE! Its not like a long gun can just "go off" on its own. You would have been just fine down range.

:):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At range today. Running famfire for someone who wanted to have some exposure to the AK platform before a .gov class.

When clearing the weapon, ALWAYS look in the breech AND look back to the bolt face. Sometimes the .30RS will stick to the bolt. Happened today before we were about to check targets.

I caught it but I was stupid and nearly negligent for not going over this sufficiently in the lecture.

Thank you for reading this.

I had no idea that could happen. How obvious is it when it happens?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, I had to google .30RS. Never heard 7.62x39 referred to as .30RS before. Interestingly enough, one of the google results lead to another INGO thread started by Kirk. :):

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Okay, I had to google .30RS. Never heard 7.62x39 referred to as .30RS before. Interestingly enough, one of the google results lead to another INGO thread started by Kirk. :):
    Does that make it a self fulfilling prophecy?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Sounds like someone short stroked the system that actually can happen with a lot of platforms but weapons like the ak that have a ejector farther back are all more capable of this condition. Always best to strip the mag a quickly cycle the action a few times, and visual checks are a must!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sounds like someone short stroked the system that actually can happen with a lot of platforms but weapons like the ak that have a ejector farther back are all more capable of this condition. Always best to strip the mag a quickly cycle the action a few times, and visual checks are a must!

He took the mag out and ran the bolt 2 or 3 times, but held the weapon at 0 with the buttstock at belt level, muzzle up and tongue out (aka, "the gun shop clear") instead of having gravity help and holding at 90.

We worked on that.:D

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

That was a new one on me too, but then, Kirk is often the source of things I had never heard of before.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Sounds like (and seemingly confirmed) bad form to me, IMO an extractor that holds a round to the bolt face isn’t a round “stuck” to the bolt. All this seems to reinforce is that chamber checks (press check, visual check, etc) are a good idea. Also not short stroking the action when clearing is a great idea

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    OP, can you please post a photo showing this issue? I've yet to look into any of my AKs and be unable to identify if it was empty.

A photo? Well, maybe, if I can find one. It's the weapon grabbing the round out of the chamber and not turning loose. There is lots of travel in the AK bolt, and pulled all the way back I have experienced people who miss this.

Rare, I agree, but it happens. Enough to warn others of.

People will look forward but not back and miss a live round, especially if that feld grau steel case ammo.

AdamP123

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2017
    West-Central
    A photo? Well, maybe, if I can find one. It's the weapon grabbing the round out of the chamber and not turning loose. There is lots of travel in the AK bolt, and pulled all the way back I have experienced people who miss this.

Rare, I agree, but it happens. Enough to warn others of.

People will look forward but not back and miss a live round, especially if that feld grau steel case ammo.

OK. I am clearly missing something. You only need to pull back the bolt/carrier about 1.5-2" (if that) to see if a round is being pulled out by the bolt/extractor and you certainly do not need to "look back". Does one actually need to visualize the bullet seated in the case to realize that it could potentially be a live round? Of course, the round will not be ejected until the round smacks the ejector, but you do not have to pull the bolt/carrier that far back to see if there is a round potentially chambered. What am I missing?

Not that difficult...

original-cc43b7f8d4331a483a0d8afd9a9bca1a.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    OK. I am clearly missing something. You only need to pull back the bolt/carrier about 1.5-2" (if that) to see if a round is being pulled out by the bolt/extractor and you certainly do not need to "look back". Does one actually need to visualize the bullet seated in the case to realize that it could potentially be a live round? Of course, the round will not be ejected until the round smacks the ejector, but you do not have to pull the bolt/carrier that far back to see if there is a round potentially chambered. What am I missing?

You are not press checking. In clearing the weapon the charging handle is racked sharply, all the way back, several times.

Sometimes the cartridge can stick to the bolt face especially if one does not use gravity to one's advantage. As one holds the charging handle to the rear the round is not in the breech but is stuck to the bolt which is now at the back of the receiver.

You DO need to look back to ensure nothing is stuck to the bolt face.

AdamP123

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2017
    West-Central
    You are not press checking. In clearing the weapon the charging handle is racked sharply, all the way back, several times.

Sometimes the cartridge can stick to the bolt face especially if one does not use gravity to one's advantage. As one holds the charging handle to the rear the round is not in the breech but is stuck to the bolt which is now at the back of the receiver.

You DO need to look back to ensure nothing is stuck to the bolt face.

In other news, guns have the ability to go "bang".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In other news, guns have the ability to go "bang".

Indeed, sometimes without fingers on triggers.

Thus if one is clearing a firearm before one goes downrange to check target, let's say any firearm at random, oh, let's say an AK-47, one should look at the breech and LOOK BACK at the bolt face to ensure that there are no cartridges present.

Top Bottom