• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I recently came across the .22 thread and someone had a picture of a Mossberg 46B. My dad has been wanting a tube fed-bolt action for quite a while, but with nothing new being produced (to my knowledge), I just put it off. I would love to purchase him one for Father's Day this year, but GB is the only place I have seen one. Prices are all over the place on there from $150-$400, along with condition being everywhere. I came across one that said it had shallow rifling, which was a bit concerning, but I would think it still shoots well. Can anyone shed some light on pricing or overall experience with these rifles? Is putting a modern scope on one difficult? Thanks!

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    That price range sounds maybe a bit high, but pretty accurate if the higher end is for rifles with Mossberg scopes. Without a scope I’d think $250-$275? would be the max. I have an excellent condition 46M(b) that was $200 a few years ago.

https://www.havlinsales.com/ Havlin Sales makes a scope mount for 46s that makes scoping one easy.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It may have been mine that you saw. I forget what I paid for it, but with a scope now, I have it insured for 350.00, so AlVine's price range is probably pretty close. They go for a little less than the Model 44 U.S. (magazine fed), which is actually what I was looking for when I ran across the 46B. Depending on condition, I would certainly think you could find one for under $300.

ETA, putting the scope on was no big deal. It was already drilled and tapped for mounting a scope, and it just required removing some "filler" screws in order to mount it. I'm not positive that they all come that way or if mine had been done at a later time.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have one that found me about 30 years ago.
    A friend told me about someone wanting to get rid of a .22lr bolt action, and they wanted $50.
    When I learned it was a Mossberg, I bought it sight unseen.

It came with a decent Redfield scope and a very nice leather sling.
    The iron sights had been removed, and long ago lost I guess.

I took the scope off and had the Mossberg peep-sights installed after a long trek to find them.

If you can find one for less than $250 minus the scope, I'd jump on it.
    Not sure if I would worry about the "shallow rifling".
    The rifling in the good ones doesn't look that deep.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    I grabbed mine from Indy Arms a few months back when I was living there for $90. Missing the rear peep sight (those are spendy if you can find them), but even with the ramp rear, still is quite accurate.
    c12dbf5a2ab74b2ca46021f0cca6ba0b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    That price range sounds maybe a bit high, but pretty accurate if the higher end is for rifles with Mossberg scopes. Without a scope I’d think $250-$275? would be the max. I have an excellent condition 46M(b) that was $200 a few years ago.

https://www.havlinsales.com/ Havlin Sales makes a scope mount for 46s that makes scoping one easy.

Thank you. I have checked out their site prior to your post, but must have skipped over that part. Sounds like $200 would be a safe price!

It may have been mine that you saw. I forget what I paid for it, but with a scope now, I have it insured for 350.00, so AlVine's price range is probably pretty close. They go for a little less than the Model 44 U.S. (magazine fed), which is actually what I was looking for when I ran across the 46B. Depending on condition, I would certainly think you could find one for under $300.

ETA, putting the scope on was no big deal. It was already drilled and tapped for mounting a scope, and it just required removing some "filler" screws in order to mount it. I'm not positive that they all come that way or if mine had been done at a later time.

I do believe it was yours. Awesome looking rifle. I appreciate the input and will continue to peruse GB. Thank you!

I have one that found me about 30 years ago.
    A friend told me about someone wanting to get rid of a .22lr bolt action, and they wanted $50.
    When I learned it was a Mossberg, I bought it sight unseen.

It came with a decent Redfield scope and a very nice leather sling.
    The iron sights had been removed, and long ago lost I guess.

I took the scope off and had the Mossberg peep-sights installed after a long trek to find them.

If you can find one for less than $250 minus the scope, I'd jump on it.
    Not sure if I would worry about the "shallow rifling".
    The rifling in the good ones doesn't look that deep.

That's exactly along the lines of what I was thinking on the rifling. Surely it will be mostly accurate. I wish I was alive 30 years ago to jump on those good deals. It sounds like you got quite the score. Thanks!

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I grabbed mine from Indy Arms a few months back when I was living there for $90. Missing the rear peep sight (those are spendy if you can find them), but even with the ramp rear, still is quite accurate.
    c12dbf5a2ab74b2ca46021f0cca6ba0b.jpg

Wow looks like you got a deal. I wish I could find one in a store somewhere. Might have to start calling around and testing my luck before I decide to go the GB route. With shipping and transfer its not always a great deal.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Wow looks like you got a deal. I wish I could find one in a store somewhere. Might have to start calling around and testing my luck before I decide to go the GB route. With shipping and transfer its not always a great deal.
    I had been looking at the newer Marlins, but absolutely could not find one in stock. Then happened to walk in to get some range time, and that was sitting right in front of me, and figured couldn't go too far wrong at the price.

Agreed with the shipping and transfer fees. I only have one current firearm that was bought online (Bulgarian Mak). Everything else I currently own was bought in store, and most were "on the list" but were technically impulse buys.

Top Bottom