• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Many people I talk to are worried about the representation of firearms from the CMP. They are afraid what they "might" get.

To help others in there decisions on whether to pop or not, let's just show some of what we received from which description.

This is my IHC Service Grade. I did not receive confirmation until weeks after the lot was "closed" so I was sweating bullets. What would I get, what will it look like, will I even get one and so forth. The only request on submission of my order was "I would take one with new furniture". I was not disappointed, this is what $1080 got me.

This is a 1954 IHC "postage stamp" service grade. It has a "new" gas tube (with front sight) and op rod but the rest of the action/internals seem original right down to the 8/54 LMR barrel. The MW is 2 and the TE is 1.5, it is a honey.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll have two CMP guns for people to come shoot at the Revere's Riders Military Surplus rifle shoot. Both were hand picked while I was at the CMP North store in Ohio & are in excellent condition. You don't need to mail order these guns. You can go to either of the two stores and pick one out yourself.

Details for the RR shoot are being finalized now.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    To date, I have purchased 10 M1s, 1 M1 Carbine and 1 US Model of 1917 from the CMP. Only 2 of these purchases were mail order(...luck of the draw), 1 hand pick from the North Store at Camp Perry and the balance hand picked at the CMP South Store in Anniston, Alabama. I've never been disappointed.

Here is the best hand pick: A 6 digit serial numbered, Service Grade Winchester M1D that started its life as a regular M1 in August of 1941. It was later converted to M1D configuration.

9rh5ZDU.jpg

7maxeg7.jpg

9c93K1N.jpg

You can see the rest of the pictures from that visit to the CMP North Store here: https://imgur.com/gallery/oNZpm

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Small world Joker, I have an Oct 41 Springfield, not from CMP, but my father got it for $55 dollars from a Detroit Pawn Shop in the late 50's early 60"s.
    Mine now!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Many people I talk to are worried about the representation of firearms from the CMP. They are afraid what they "might" get.

To help others in there decisions on whether to pop or not, let's just show some of what we received from which description.

This is my IHC Service Grade. I did not receive confirmation until weeks after the lot was "closed" so I was sweating bullets. What would I get, what will it look like, will I even get one and so forth. The only request on submission of my order was "I would take one with new furniture". I was not disappointed, this is what $1080 got me.

This is a 1954 IHC "postage stamp" service grade. It has a "new" gas tube (with front sight) and op rod but the rest of the action/internals seem original right down to the 8/54 LMR barrel. The MW is 2 and the TE is 1.5, it is a honey.

A few years ago, son and I drove to the North store to pick out a couple of Garands. We ended up selecting 2 that were a CMP special grade ~ these were "special" in that the barrels were original but gaged as new! As I recall the price was just slightly under a grand.

I spent several minutes selecting one from a rack of about 10 rifles. In reality the only difference I could determine was the quality and appearance of the furniture.. We ended up paying for the rifles but had them shipped to us as the cost of the Ohio sales tax far exceeded the shipping cost.

Of course we had to browse the entire store and did purchase some slings and a few other things. As every rifle we inspected was in fact so very close in quality we decided we would just order any others we wanted in the future and have them shipped.

From what we saw, the appearance and quality of all the firearms (and other items) were if anything, understated when described on the website and I certainly would not be afraid to order without inspecting.. I have ordered several thousand of Garand rounds and enblock clips from the CMP since and have been happy with everything.

One warning for those new to Garands, the cartridges are not loaded like the current commercial ones. The Garands cartridges are downloaded slightly - during the second world war there were 30-06 loaded for machine guns that were "hotter" and similar to today's off the shelf rounds.
    Using the hotter rounds may cause damage to the M1's Op rod (a fairly expensive part). If you want to shoot the hot rounds you need to install a metered gas relief "plug / cap" on the piston cover and adjust it so the Op rod is not subject to excessive pressure.

I do have a second M1 I purchased at a gun show, price was good although it isn't of the quality of the CMP guns it functions perfectly.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have one of each now; I ordered a correct grade about 12 years ago before they started sending corrects to auction. It's an H&R of Korean war vintage. Shortly after that I order a Special, it's a springfield with a pre war SN. I picked up an IHC service grade a few months back and they just charged my CC for the Winchester Special in .308. I'd been holding out for a Winnie in 30-06 but decided it may be best to get one while I can. Perhaps if a Winnie in 30-06 becomes available I'll buy "just one more"!:laugh:

No pics at this time but even the service grade was in excellent condition although it did come with a new stock unfortunately.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I don't know if this truly counts as a CMP find or not, it is from quite a few years ago. This was back when they had stripped receivers and individual parts available and you could just cobble something together yourself.

6oL8Nxt.jpg

RRkD2qu.jpg

af3vNHh.jpg

509NzVF.jpg

p1wBzvM.jpg

Ni30KTH.jpg

TdJH0XQ.jpg

RPSPWZj.jpg

urwMiUl.jpg

JZXtGMY.jpg

YGy1qAy.jpg

pge4uPo.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Rob, how long did it take you to find parts?

That is a great looking M1 and i like the character of the wood. You can't hardly find a cartouche on furniture except for the "P". Good job.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Rob, how long did it take you to find parts?

That is a great looking M1 and i like the character of the wood. You can't hardly find a cartouche on furniture except for the "P". Good job.

Thanks! It didn't take very long at all. At that time you could order individual parts on the CMP web site, they actually had them broke down by manufacturer, part drawing number, etc. Better yet, there was no surcharge for rare items, you could simply ask for an uncut Winchester op-rod and you would get it for the same price as any other op rod!

I forget the guy's name, but the wood came from a guy that had a barn full of stocks that was legendary among Garand collectors back then. The barrel came from, and was installed by, Tony Giacobbe, even original barrels with mint bores were easy to come by back then.

Another photo to show the small ordnance wheel on the stock:
    vK5Utum.jpg

The strange part, in retrospect, of the whole story is that the only reason I went to the trouble of building up a rifle from a stripped receiver is that I wanted a WWII Springfield. I tried 3 times to get one from the CMP and kept getting something I didn't want. I got a post-war Springfield that was completely correct and basically in new condition, a H&R with mixed parts, and a Winchester that was re-barreled in the 60's. I sold all of them and finally just got a receiver because that was the only way to make sure you got what you wanted! I didn't even care if it was a rebuilt WWII Springfield, I just wanted a WWII SA and ended up stumbling into building it as a completely correct rifle simply because it was easy to do. On the other hand, it sure would be nice to be able to get those other rifles back now.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The barn full of stocks sounds like Fred's
    He had a ton of M14 stocks, probably M1's also. He used to advertise in the shotgun news.
    I think someone on the M14 forum bought him out.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Related topic from NRAAM.

Stopped by the Criterion booth. They had a Garand and an M1D barrel. They are now supplying the CMP with M1D barrels with the scope mount boss.

My mind just raced imagining the the possibilities.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The barn full of stocks sounds like Fred's
    He had a ton of M14 stocks, probably M1's also. He used to advertise in the shotgun news.
    I think someone on the M14 forum bought him out.

I knew it wasn't Fred's because I bought an M14 stock from him once and I would have remembered also getting the Garand stock from him. However, your post got me to start googling it, and I found an article about it that jogged the memory. I got the stock from Rick Borecky, he was/is Rick the Librarian on the Culver Shooting Page and had it listed there. He wasn't the guy that had the barn though, it was more like he knew a guy, that knew a guy. I'm not even certain anymore my Garand stock came from the barn after reading this article. It could be my memory just mixed details from different stories together because it also mentions Jim Yokum of DuPage Trading and I know also bought a 1903 stock from him once, memory does things like that. This was during the period after Scott Duff wrote his first book, but before he wrote the updated and expanded second. His first book was a skinny little thing that you never see anymore.

The story of the barn wood is quite interesting, the guy had over 10,000 surplus stocks in his barn in Wisconsin, and a lot of them were real rarities!
    http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/generalstorage/pdfpublications/Sp09 Barn Wood v2.pdf

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I knew it wasn't Fred's because I bought an M14 stock from him once and I would have remembered also getting the Garand stock from him. However, your post got me to start googling it, and I found an article about it that jogged the memory. I got the stock from Rick Borecky, he was/is Rick the Librarian on the Culver Shooting Page and had it listed there. He wasn't the guy that had the barn though, it was more like he knew a guy, that knew a guy. I'm not even certain anymore my Garand stock came from the barn after reading this article. It could be my memory just mixed details from different stories together because it also mentions Jim Yokum of DuPage Trading and I know also bought a 1903 stock from him once, memory does things like that. This was during the period after Scott Duff wrote his first book, but before he wrote the updated and expanded second. His first book was a skinny little thing that you never see anymore.

The story of the barn wood is quite interesting, the guy had over 10,000 surplus stocks in his barn in Wisconsin, and a lot of them were real rarities!
    http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/generalstorage/pdfpublications/Sp09 Barn Wood v2.pdf

That is a great article. Thanks!

Read down to the part about fakes. This is why I avoid "highly collectible" stuff and go only for shooters. I'm not that well versed on a particular weapon to know all the fine details like mismatched inspection stamps indicating a fake.

I've spotted some at Indy1500 shows and knew the sellers were trying to get more $ for their phonies. I avoid that trap. If it could be hastily assembled in time of war from period correct parts, put into a soldiers hands & doesn't demand a premium for being "rare" or "correct" then I'm after it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    All that I know is that I got a LOT of rifle from the CMP back this past summer for $650. I stickied my order with a request for old original wood is possible. I got a 2/2 Oct 44 SA that was about 70% original with a 50s era replacement stock. And it shoots like an absolute dream.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I picked out a WWII era Service Grade Springfield from the North Store several years ago. It had an issue with ejecting the enbloc clip after only 4 or 5 rounds. Despite 2 trips to the Anniston armory, they could never get it to work properly. I think I was on a first name basis with the lead armorer down there and he kept insisting it was a timing issue. I later found out they were only testing it with special 4 round (might have even been 2 round) enbloc clips, so it would work for them. I finally sent this video to him:

[video=youtube;r7RDA8Iviv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7RDA8Iviv4&list=UU_ScHq99r9LjEMROyGqZf7g& index=22[/video]

Anyhow, after sending him the video, and the rifle for the third time, they replaced the gun with one of their Special Grades, which was a Korean War era H&R (with new stock and National Match barrel (about a $300 upgrade at the time, so I was more than happy). Haven't had any problems with it.

lsK2CeB.jpg

K0vzLnT.jpg

m8x3DI4.jpg

xI90HYa.jpg

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    That is a great article. Thanks!

Read down to the part about fakes. This is why I avoid "highly collectible" stuff and go only for shooters. I'm not that well versed on a particular weapon to know all the fine details like mismatched inspection stamps indicating a fake.

I've spotted some at Indy1500 shows and knew the sellers were trying to get more $ for their phonies. I avoid that trap. If it could be hastily assembled in time of war from period correct parts, put into a soldiers hands & doesn't demand a premium for being "rare" or "correct" then I'm after it.

I am right there with you on not being willing to part with any serious money for anything. I know enough to spot most fakes, and I also know enough to know that there are also fakes I wouldn't spot.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Thanks! It didn't take very long at all. At that time you could order individual parts on the CMP web site, they actually had them broke down by manufacturer, part drawing number, etc. Better yet, there was no surcharge for rare items, you could simply ask for an uncut Winchester op-rod and you would get it for the same price as any other op rod!

I forget the guy's name, but the wood came from a guy that had a barn full of stocks that was legendary among Garand collectors back then. The barrel came from, and was installed by, Tony Giacobbe, even original barrels with mint bores were easy to come by back then.

Another photo to show the small ordnance wheel on the stock:
    vK5Utum.jpg

The strange part, in retrospect, of the whole story is that the only reason I went to the trouble of building up a rifle from a stripped receiver is that I wanted a WWII Springfield. I tried 3 times to get one from the CMP and kept getting something I didn't want. I got a post-war Springfield that was completely correct and basically in new condition, a H&R with mixed parts, and a Winchester that was re-barreled in the 60's. I sold all of them and finally just got a receiver because that was the only way to make sure you got what you wanted! I didn't even care if it was a rebuilt WWII Springfield, I just wanted a WWII SA and ended up stumbling into building it as a completely correct rifle simply because it was easy to do. On the other hand, it sure would be nice to be able to get those other rifles back now.

I am in lust with your thumb smasher for sure. As far as the ones who got away, I would want to be on your left playing cards, I could get rich off of your discards... lol.

Top Bottom