• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a friend who was severly injured at work a few months ago. I ran into him today and he said something about wanting to build a 243 in AR-10. I'm going to get him a barrel but I don't know what twist rate to get. Any advice?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've always liked 1 in 10 twist in the 243. It worked well with everything from 75 gr varmint bullets to 100 gr. deer bullets in both of the ones I had, they were bolt actions if that makes any difference. If all I shot was 100 gr on up I'd probably go with 1 in 9 or 8, conversely if all I shot was light varmint bullets I'd go with 1in 12.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Some of the better deer bullets are 100 gr and up. But with the new loads, like the 95 gr Hornady SST, the 1:10 would be ok. If it's just going to be a deer rifle,1:9 would be my suggestion. I think that would be good for everything except the real light varmint loads.

I asked this question a while back and got some good info.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...43-win-barrel-twist-rates-bullet-weights.html

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had a 1-9 and shot 80-100grn with it. Waaaaay too much for varmint work. Could stick your arm through the hole it left in Coyote. Just the ticket for hogs. They dropped bang flop dead.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Saw this in someone's sign line. Sounded like it would fit here.

"Salient rules: Heavier the boolit, less twist is needed; more pointed a boolit, less twist is needed; longer the boolit, more twist is needed; the windier the condition, more twist is needed; longer the range, more twist is needed; more of a boattail, more twist is needed; more hollow the point, less twist is needed."

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I you want to shoot the long, heavy match bullets in .243 you'll need an 8 twist.

If the heaviest you'll go is 100gr and even then it's a blunt deer bullet, 10 twist will be OK.

Some (rarely) varmint bullets will come apart with an 8 twist if pushed really really hard. I'd get the 8 twist just for versatility, IMO.

Top Bottom