Larue MBT - 1) ok for home defense gun? 2) straight vs curved?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm considering upgrading my trigger group, but have never used any triggers beyond stock milspec ones. My gun currently has the PSA EPT. It seems okay, but like I said, I have nothing nicer to compare it to. As for my questions:

1) What are peoples' thoughts on the MBT for a home defense (primarily) gun? I would use the heavier spring, but again I don't have a point of reference for how heavy that feels vs my current trigger. My concerns are that it may be too light of a pull, and I've also seen people say that 2 stage triggers are better for precision work than defense.

2) If I do order one, thoughts on straight vs curved type? I've never used a straight trigger. I do see people say it makes the pull feel lighter, which actually worries me a little bit as I don't want the pull super light for a defense gun. But people seem to like them. I know it's probably personal preference, but I was curious what people thought.

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    It's a reliable trigger so it's g2g for a self defense weapon in my opinion. Trigger weight doesn't matter if you train trigger discipline. Straight v curved is a personal decision. I like straight triggers. They don't feel lighter, but they keep my finger placed right.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    MBT triggers are 100% GTG. Straight triggers are for the most part gamer gun sleight of hand. A standard curved trigger will suffice for 99.99%

trclark1525

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2019
    Goshen
    I absolutely love my MBT. I have both a Geissele SSA and the MBT and I would take the MBT over the Geissele any day. My only complaint with the MBT is that the reset felt very weak with the 4.5lb spring. It was a nice tactile reset, but I felt like I almost needed to take my finger off the trigger for the reset to happen. Installing the 6lb trigger made it much better. The rifle I installed the MBT in is used for shots out to 300 yards on average, but I also do some running and gunning and I can still get good splits with it. While two stage triggers aren’t necessarily designed to shoot fast, you also have to keep in mind that the breaks and resets on these triggers are much shorter than your typical milspec trigger. I purchased the curved trigger because I thought the flat face trigger was kind of ugly, but I know flat face triggers have their own perks as well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I absolutely love my MBT. I have both a Geissele SSA and the MBT and I would take the MBT over the Geissele any day. My only complaint with the MBT is that the reset felt very weak with the 4.5lb spring. It was a nice tactile reset, but I felt like I almost needed to take my finger off the trigger for the reset to happen. Installing the 6lb trigger made it much better. The rifle I installed the MBT in is used for shots out to 300 yards on average, but I also do some running and gunning and I can still get good splits with it. While two stage triggers aren’t necessarily designed to shoot fast, you also have to keep in mind that the breaks and resets on these triggers are much shorter than your typical milspec trigger. I purchased the curved trigger because I thought the flat face trigger was kind of ugly, but I know flat face triggers have their own perks as well.

The upside to the weak reset it that it makes double-fires and other inadvertent followups far less likely.

I have a Geissele SD3G in my rifle and it has a very strong reset designed to speed follow-ups. If you get careless on your follow-through, you will double tap it with ease. It's like an echo trigger almost if you ride it right.

Needless to say, I'm rather emphatic in my trigger pulls when I'm shooting matches with it.

Top Bottom