• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    So, I'm wanting to feed my M1 a steady diet of 150 gr. soft point. I figure it's a good all around, round. However I dont have the time to dedicate to setting up, and load workup for custom loads. Looking for guidance on a gas plug. I dont just want to buy the first one that pops up on a Google search.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Conductor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2019
    ANDREWS
    If you need to replace the GI plug, the Schuster plug is a popular one among M1 shooters. A website called garandgear also sells one with many reviews. They have charts and graphs showcasing pressures with different ammo with and without the plug.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    From what I have read on the CMP Forums, most of the veteran M1 gunners, feel that the device isn't necessary as long as the op rod, and gas cylinder are in spec and that you choose your ammo very carefully if you aren't reloading. There were several commments that indicated that the Garandgear Plug hasn't been around long enough to see the long-term affects. I have used both the Schuster Plug and the Garandgear plug on my M1. I currently have the Schuster Plug installed now. It doesn't take much time or effort to adjust it correctly, my thinking for using it is that I have a weapon that is 75 years old, and just perhaps by adjusting the gas escape flow, it may be a little less wear and tear on the rifle. I don't know if that is true or not, but I use it. I reload my own ammo and stay with the perimeters for M1 loads. Here is a link to an interesting article regarding the Schuster Plug. welcome-to-schuster-mfg-inc At the CMP Forums, you might do a search on the adjustable gas plug and you will have a wealth of information. CMP Forums Good Luck.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    The one that's in it will be fine. You're not going to hurt it by shooting 150gr factory loads.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another good supplier is Ammogarand.com. Awesome guy. Had to call him for clarification and I swear we talked shop for at least 30 minutes. Just an old collector with a lifetime of stuff hes selling.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Another thumbs up for the Schuster plug, but they’re both good. The plug from GarandGear is hollow, which increases the internal volume of the gas system, which lowers the pressure. It works well with 150gr bullets. GarandGear tested various 150gr loads, you could compare them with your load to see if their plug would work for you. M1 Garand Ammunition and the Ported Gas Plug For someone that sticks to one load the GrandGear plug would be great.

The Schuster plug vents gas to the outside, how much gas depends on the screw selected. It comes with four screws that allow differing amounts of gas to escape. Some experimentation is needed to find which one works for you, but that’s easy and then you can lock the screw down and forget about it. The Schuster is better than the GarandGear plug for someone who likes to use different loads, a larger range of bullet weights and velocities can be used with the Schuster. Builders of .308 or ‘Tanker’ Garands would need to use the Schuster plug. To adjust it you start with the plug open as much as possible, then close it a little with each shot until the rifle is functioning normally.

Top Bottom