• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Anybody have one of these with experience? I'm considering buying a range/hunting rifle and think this would be a good alternative to the 556.
    I'd probably also be reloading the round, so comments on that would be helpful too.

I've taken note of one company that makes a lower cost model, Diamondback, that would be around $800. Don't really know much else about the platform.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, it's not a 5.56, so there is that.
    Seriously, the 6.5 Grendel is considered a hard-hitting alternative to the 5.56 and is very accurate.

I have one, but haven't really done anything with it yet.
    The only drawback I've seen so far is the price of ammo, but since you'll be reloading...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Well, it's not a 5.56, so there is that.
    Seriously, the 6.5 Grendel is considered a hard-hitting alternative to the 5.56 and is very accurate.

I have one, but haven't really done anything with it yet.
    The only drawback I've seen so far is the price of ammo, but since you'll be reloading...
    The availability of steel case Grendel ammo is a major selling point...

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The availability of steel case Grendel ammo is a major selling point...

Yup. I use wolf steel cased when plinking. Can usually get it at $5 per 20. I reload for it as well. Buying brass is expensive so i buy Hornady Black when i can find a deal and then reload the Hornady cases.
    As a matter of fact just ordered 200 rounds of the Hornady from Brownells for $185 shipped to my door using Code NCS

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I got lucky and got a complete bear creek for under 400. The lower was in spec, but furniture was cheap and the trigger was garbage. Now I have the upper on a built lower and regularly shoot 1" groups. The guarantee 1moa so if yours won't get there they send you a shipping label and replace it. Imo 6.5 is a low volume round that gets us than 100 rounds a year so I wasnt going to spend much on it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I use 6.5 grendel on coyotes and I have been very happy with it. I'm getting 1/2 moa with 123 grain sst and I've had only one coyote get up and run after I hit him, but he only ran 50 yards.

Brownells sells a satern barrel with bolt face for under $300.

I don't reload, but I save the brass. Not sure why...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I use 6.5 grendel on coyotes and I have been very happy with it. I'm getting 1/2 moa with 123 grain sst and I've had only one coyote get up and run after I hit him, but he only ran 50 yards.

Brownells sells a satern barrel with bolt face for under $300.

I don't reload, but I save the brass. Not sure why...

So you can sell it here in the classifieds?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I shot my Grendel this weekend. First time since last fall. It's a tack driver with Hornady 123 sst's, 1/2-3/4 moa if I do my part. And I just got an order of wolf in today. Will be deer hunting rig this year.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I built a 12.5” 6.5 Grendel as a do-it-all gun, and I love it. Sub MOA with 123SST, and has taken deer and lots of hogs.

I can honestly say I now have a favorite gun. I was very impressed with how the round did on lots of hogs. I did a write-up in the Outdoors section about the hunt, and almost everyone used 6.5 Grendel. We were all very impressed.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    It depends on what you are hunting. If you are hunting deer in Indiana, not only would it be more effective, but the 6.5 would also be legal.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I have been seriously considering building a 12.5" upper in 6.5g. I do have a complete Rock River national match lower though. What I have been searching (unsuccessfully) for is a 14.5" pinned and and welded 6.5g barrel. Short barrel, real stock, what's not to love? Not quite sure why I haven't seen one.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    What is with the short barrel grendel? 6.5gren is optimized at 24". Id think cutting that in half would severely hamper the round.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have been seriously considering building a 12.5" upper in 6.5g. I do have a complete Rock River national match lower though. What I have been searching (unsuccessfully) for is a 14.5" pinned and and welded 6.5g barrel. Short barrel, real stock, what's not to love? Not quite sure why I haven't seen one.

Ask and you shall recieve

Here

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    What is with the short barrel grendel? 6.5gren is optimized at 24". Id think cutting that in half would severely hamper the round.
    Hamper? Yes. Severely? No. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but a 12.5” Grendel will still expand at 350 yards, can have a MPBR of 235 yards, and is supersonic to 800ish? A great round from a little gun.

Also I greatly prefer to hunt suppressed (for my hearing mostly, and to still be able to hear the direction of the animal running after the shot) and a 24” barrel with a suppressor is crazy long.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Hamper? Yes. Severely? No. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but a 12.5” Grendel will still expand at 350 yards, can have a MPBR of 235 yards, and is supersonic to 800ish? A great round from a little gun.

Also I greatly prefer to hunt suppressed (for my hearing mostly, and to still be able to hear the direction of the animal running after the shot) and a 24” barrel with a suppressor is crazy long.

This thread may have cost me money. I read around and watched some 800yard shooting from a 12.5" grendel. I would be never thought...

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have a 20, 18, and 12 and love them all. Hornady AG used to be $0.70 per round and then they raised the price. Black can be had for $0.80 on sale so its not really that bad. If you really want to reload 6.5G I would look at getting the Grendel Books. Regardless they are a good read and provides history on the cartridge. I started loading this year but have yet been able to shoot them over a chronograph. The normal pressure signs aren't as important as velocity spikes in this round.

https://www.ar15buildbox.com/shop/65-Grendel-Reloading-HandBooks.htm

Someone mentioned the 6.5G for hunting and I am still unsure if a 12" would be legal on public ground? It meets all the requirements, but who knows what would happen if checked. On private it is good to go.

Top Bottom