NWI Wife (and I) looking for trap lesson(s)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    We're in NWI Dyer area - wife has wanted a shotgun for the longest time to shot those spiny clay things (trap) . She recently acquired a new never fired 20 ga pump........ which may or may not be fine for her
    I am well aware of how these things multiply. I have had only one experience with a shotgun and that was YEARS ago like 25+ with friends semi auto 12 ga shooting @ clays hand thrown over a pond.

So we either just tough it / figure it out @ Willow Slough the hard way or I reach out and see what's going on in the region. Maybe the 20 ga stays next the the bed and breeds a 12 ga semi or under over or more.
    that's somewhat expected - what we don't want is to fire a few boxes and hate it because we didn't know or learn what we needed to be successful.

NWI INGO'ers let me know what you think - no hurry she doesn't have any shells yet :) but does have a case of clays........... and wel,l I don't have a shot gun yet either but I'm sure that will change soon enough.

by the way if she can handle a 12 ga ........ that the route we'll go if not ..... I'll stick with 20 as well - we're kinda competitive that way neither of us want an unfair advantage, again if if it gets that far

thanks for reading , thanks in advance for the suggestions

Dan T @ the BKG

Matthews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Dyer
    Instead of the gauge, worry more about how it fits. LOP (Length of Pull) can make a huge difference in the comfort of felt recoil. Another thing to look for also is weight. It may seem that a 20 gauge has less recoil, but if its a very light model it can kick quite a bit more than a heavier 12 gauge. Just my two cents and I wish you two the best of luck.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Home - XLINE SPORTSMANS CLUB

I used to be a member at Exline club. They shoot practice rounds of trap on Tuesday nights. Lots of decent folks around who can give you a lesson. Jack is the guy usually running the show down there. Let him know you are new and someone will be by your side and guide you as needed. Don't need to be a member to shoot trap.

Its a lot of fun. Nothing wrong with a 20ga. My wife and I both settled on the 20ga. Guns and ammo are smaller and lighter. Buy cases of shells in bulk. Keep it simple.

Reminds me I have several large cases of clays that need busting...….Another place you may want to try is out in Wheatfield. Not sure if they shoot trap. I know they do sporting clays. Might give them a call. Its on my hit list to take the wife and shoot some sporting clays in the woods. Also Palos gun club in Monee shoots clays.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Nothing wrong with a 20 ga. for trap. I really enjoy shooting clays with my .410 break barrel. I like the challenge.

I've taught new shooters with a 20 ga. I think you'll be perfectly happy with that. Nothing says you can't a 12 down the line. Or two. Or three...

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So if you don't mind the hour drive I would highly recommend Deer Creek Hunt Club in MI. It is the next exit after New Buffalo just it is just over the border and after you guys can go to dinner at Journeyman Distillery both are in Thee Oaks MI and the club is open to the public. You can do all kinds of clays there. I like to rent the golf cart and do the sporting clays course of which they have 3 different ones each harder then the next. The red is the easiest to start with. Under new ownership last year and they have done a great job so far. I got an email a little bit ago about them offering lessons too but have not checked into it. Anyhow its a good time and from Dyer I would say about an hour maybe 70mins tops.
    https://deercreekhuntclub.com/clays

They also rent shotguns if you do not have your own

Top Bottom