Who all makes a factory 20" AR with an A2 carry handle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Every now and then I get the itch for an old school A2. For nothing else besides plinking and nostalgia. I'd looked around and all I was seeing was the bushmaster 90242 as a straight out of the box, looks kinda right rifle.

Who else makes one? I didnt see an A2 on colts website, but is there another one I'm missing?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If I were to buy a 20in barrel, I'd want to be as original as I could and go back in time.....

Like this....

xT7DzUM.png

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/bapid=606/ClientPage/brownells-retro

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Cruise the local gun shows. Original Bushmaster Windham A-2s may be the best bargain going right now. Bring cash, they go for around $600 to $750 . I bought a like new match Bushmaster with a CMP legal free float handguard, narrow front sight, upgraded rear sight, Hbar 1 in 9 twist barrel, 1909 sling, and a match trigger set-up for $625 out the door. It's nice.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It looks like Bushmaster and DPMS still catalog an A2 configuration, Armalite made one as well but will be more money but used ones are out there (these come with non-standard flash hiders though). Like BGDave said you can probably find a used one as everyone wants to upgrade to some sort of fantastical tactical model.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm definitely looking for an A2 like I had. Doesn't have to be exactly correct, but looking for pretty close.

I'm not sure if Rock Island is off my stink list. Always liked their equipment, but I never bought any of it myself. Not sure about that option after the Illinois fiasco.

I'll look into the Windham, I always forget about them. How do they stack up against the new bushmasters?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Rock river, they’re on the arfcom EE weekly, colts and you name it. Building one is fun as said already. Love me some A2 pew!

Attachments

• colda2.jpg
      colda2.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I thought about White Oak but those are a little salty for a plinker. I'd have a lot more in that then I would a bushmaster or whatever else. Don't get me wrong, it'd be worth every penny. I've got a WOA 18" upper that's amazingly accurate, and I've got the 16" version of the same upper as my home protection gun. In this case what I'm looking for is a look alike plinker and the stainless WOA barrel doesn't fit that bill even if they bead blast it.

If I were going to use this in a competition, I'd only go with WOA.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Easy-peasy putting it together yourself. Here ya go:

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt-7/
    -barrel $270
    https://www.fulton-armory.com/upperreceivera2usgi.aspx-upper $100
    https://www.fulton-armory.com/upperreceiverpartskitfa2upper.aspx-upper parts kit $70

$440 sans BCG/CH

You probably can do it cheaper if you shopped around on other forums(i.e. M4Carbine.net/Gunbroker) looking for an used A2 upper and barrel. I built mine for less and mine has a Mil. contractor barrel on it(Sabre Defence).

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    The Rock River National Match rifles are really tough to beat for the $$. I've got one in A4 configuration and it's a tack driver

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For accuracy and competitions the RRA and WOA rifles are always the ones I hear about from guys who I know can shoot. For what I'm looking for I keep seeing the bushmasters on gunbroker for under $775 after shipping and FFL so that's hard to beat for a plinker.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Not a clone, but I did want a 20" AR set up to be comfortable to me. Built an Anderson lower, (all my lowers are built as pistols) installed an A2 stock kit from UTG and a Geissele G2S fire control. Purchased a 20" flattop from PSA for $300, free shipping. Came with detachable A2 carry handle, F marked FSB, BCG&CH. Barrel is nitrided 4150V with 1:7 twist. A2 barrel profile with classic round handguards. Detachable carry handle does give me the option of mounting a scope if desired. Big gun, but not heavy. Longer sight radius is appreciated. Usually when I take ARs to the range, this one goes along, as it is just a lot of fun to shoot.

Top Bottom