Is there a non-metal free-floating AR-15 handguard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Title says it all. Reason: cold hands while hunting. OD green would be nice too. Don't need/want rails. Can't pay $100-$300 for carbon fiber.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I haven't heard of one, but that means exactly nothing.
    It would be my guess that you'll find they don't exist.
    I have a feeling that your standard plastics would have a hard time with the stresses involved by a singlepoint attachment.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    A lot actually. PRI, smoke composites are expensive, multiple other carbon options that come up randomly for much cheaper though on eBay and Facebook groups. You can always spray some plastidip on an aluminum one. Taccom sells carbon tube handguards that are affordable.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    https://www.precisionreflex.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4812

"[FONT=&amp]Our handguards are all free floating, meaning they aren't in contact with the barrel. This means accuracy isn't compromised and accessories can be mounted on the handguard without a negative effect on performance. To find out more about our handguards, place an order or speak with a member of our team, call us at (419) 629-2603."

EDIT: I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH PRI.[/FONT]

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If the only problem is cold hands on the metal handguard and the rifle isn't going to get fired enough to really get hot, I'd wrap the hand guard in a couple layers of cling wrap and then put some cloth tape over the top. When hunting season is over, Id' cut it off.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you don't want to pay carbon pricing, then no, there is nothing cost effective, non-metallic and in your price range. Get some rail covers (what they are made for) and move on with life.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Can't believe no one mentioned Hogue. I have same issue with the freezing cold aluminum. Hogue sells a kit with float tube, pistol grip, and stock. Believe they have a camo called gillie,or black, baby poop, zombie green....etc. You can also get one with a rail for a bipod/ light. Nice and comfy soft and doesn't get cold. The gas tube angle is not standard. Buy their prebent tube so you don't waste time trying to not kink your original.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I lucked out and scored several of the carbon fiber ones when whoever it was (Rhino?) was going out of business, for like $80 each, IIRC. Put one on all of my hunting ARs (.458 and and a couple 6.8s). Before that, though, id go with a lightweight quad rail with rail covers.
    e0c9265bbce4c5b5f6bc34e0e9cf534f.jpg
    33553d70d56bb457402dea6c6382b3ff.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom