• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    View attachment 77067

she was born in 1954, it's a h&r receiver h&r barrel(also 1954), springfield bolt, op rod, and trigger (the trigger is from ww2) and a cmp stock, that's going to be stripped and refinished back to a stock color

the metal finish is near perfect I really don't think its been refinished, theres no washout on the stamping, I need to research it more, but im happy with it, and I think I got it a great price (one thousand out the door)

ive always wanted a garand, a shooter not a collector, and I think this ones a shooter for sure!

my only complaint is why in the hell would some idiot put that light blond baby vomit color finish on the stock!

ps anybody know what finish I need to put on the stock after I strip her down?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Congrats on the Garand. You have a lot of history there. With regard to color of the stock? Garand stocks were usually walnut and as such a dark walnut color. All the Garands I ever owned have been at least.

Conductor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2019
    ANDREWS
    Wood Cleaning Article - Civilian Marksmanship Program

This is what the CMP has for guidance. Military stocks had an open grain and obviously no shellac. I have one Garand that is a rebuild and has a very blonde birch stock, and another rebuild in a birch stock that is dark and highly figured. The CMP stocks can turn out very nice with the appropriate finish on them.

Since it is in CMP wood, was it a CMP rifle?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That is a birch stock, not walnut. The stock was made that way, not refinished.

If every stock was "correct" a lot of us would be disappointed. The contract specified "straight grain walnut" so all the birds eyes and character to current stocks would have been refused.

They did keep some of the really pretty curly stocks for presentation pieces and display but almost all were plain straight.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    View attachment 77067

she was born in 1954, it's a h&r receiver h&r barrel(also 1954), springfield bolt, op rod, and trigger (the trigger is from ww2) and a cmp stock, that's going to be stripped and refinished back to a stock color

the metal finish is near perfect I really don't think its been refinished, theres no washout on the stamping, I need to research it more, but im happy with it, and I think I got it a great price (one thousand out the door)

ive always wanted a garand, a shooter not a collector, and I think this ones a shooter for sure!

my only complaint is why in the hell would some idiot put that light blond baby vomit color finish on the stock!

ps anybody know what finish I need to put on the stock after I strip her down?

Most military rifles including the M1 Garand used either Pure TEAK OIL (NOT THE TEAK OIL FINISH SOLD TODAY) or Boiled Linseed oil. The BLO is actually a misnomer as the BLO actually contains " metallic dryers" to cure the oil. (Raw linseed oil takes weeks to months to cure, when dryers are added it takes a day or so).

My personal preference is Teak oil - it can be obtained at most Wood working stores like Rockler and Woodcraft, but be sure it states pure Teak oil, it is more expensive than the Teak oil finishes.

Teak oil is slightly clearer than BLO and is more moisture resistant. The BLO darkens more than the Teak. During the major wars many countries started using Teak oil on their military gun stocks but went to BLO when the supplies of Teak oil diminished.

Some experts state the Garands were finished with BLO in the beginning but switched to Teak oil around the Korean war. I did use BLO on several rifle stocks for many years ~ started using Teak oil about 20~30 years ago. Really not a whole lot of difference, but I like the clarity of the Teak oil and the supposedly greater moisture resistance.

I have 2 Garands, one I purchased from the CMP North store and one older one I picked up at a Gun show in Lafayette. I also have an M1 Carbine. I have not had to refinish any of them yet.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Wood Cleaning Article - Civilian Marksmanship Program

This is what the CMP has for guidance. Military stocks had an open grain and obviously no shellac. I have one Garand that is a rebuild and has a very blonde birch stock, and another rebuild in a birch stock that is dark and highly figured. The CMP stocks can turn out very nice with the appropriate finish on them.

Since it is in CMP wood, was it a CMP rifle?

I don't know, I know the stock is from the cmp its got c.m.p. in a circle on the heel of the stock, anybody know if the cmp can confirm if it one of theirs? can I call or email them with the sn?

The stock was made that way, not refinished.

im about 99.9% positive its been refinished, if you look at the picture you can see its a gloss finish, plus its very uneven(globs of finish in spots, and almost none a half inch away), I really doubt it would have passed inspection.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Congrats on the Garand. That should be a great shooter. I really enjoy taking mine to the range and plan to do so again on June 8th, 75 anniversary of D-Day.

Current CMP Garand stocks are all walnut from Boyds. They come with a flat oil finish. I used Tru-Oil on mine afterwards.

Have fun!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    FYSA June 6 is the actual anniversary, June 8 is the day most folks will go shoot to commemorate it due to work. I will take some time on June 6 to shoot my WWII weapons...one carried by my dad.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    raw linseed oil is what I used. Organic section at grocery, they call it flaxseed oil. after stripping stock, first coat got 50/50 RLO/mineral spirits, then a few days later, coat of just RLO. after a day or two I would wipe dry and put them in the sunlight all day. repeat RLO-wipe-sun until I got the depth and color I wanted.

***be careful with any rags with raw linseed oil on them as a potential fire hazard***

Conductor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2019
    ANDREWS
    You could email the CMP, but I believe there is a fee for checking serial numbers. The newer CMP stocks have the CMP over the DOS inside of a box on the left side, where cartouches are traditionally located. Never heard of one in a circle on the heel, unless it's an older one.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    I’ve probably bought about three dozen rifles from the CMP over the years, and spent a glorious weekend going through crates of M1’s in Anniston, but never saw a stock stamped c.m.p. on the heel. Can you post a pic?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Congratulations on the Garand! Whenever you take it to the rings the first time, have someone take a picture of you when you fire the eighth round. There's nothing like that ping!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You could email the CMP, but I believe there is a fee for checking serial numbers. The newer CMP stocks have the CMP over the DOS inside of a box on the left side, where cartouches are traditionally located. Never heard of one in a circle on the heel, unless it's an older one.

sorry in my haste I posted the wrong term, its stamped in the bottom of the pistol grip, its a circle with c.m.p. in it, a friend said its an older stock (he's way more knowledgeable about the cmp than I am)

I found a website USRifleCAL30M1.com and I entered my serial number, and it didn't come up, but one 2 numbers away did, and it did go thru the cmp, so that coupled with my cmp marked stock, id assume its a cmp gun

but i'll post a pic later View attachment 77222
    View attachment 77223
    View attachment 77224
    So the owner of the shop I bought it at confirmed it’s a cmp gun, he said it came in in a cmp pox

Last edited:
    Top Bottom