• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Is there a good, inexpensive bolt action rifle that would be a good second gun to take to the range? I have an Anschutz 1700 FWT that I love, but was thinking about getting a second rifle to take to the range when my stepson is around so we could shoot together. He lives out of state and doesn't visit often, but when he's here I thought having a second rifle would be a lot more fun then sharing the Anschutz. My preference is to grab an inexpensive .22lr plinker, but I want something that has pretty good accuracy as well. I would love to grab a Ruger Precision Rimfire for this task, but I'm not sure that's the right way to go. I even thought I might grab a .17HMR instead of another .22lr, but the 22 makes it easy to shoot for hours without thinking about the cost of the ammo. I have a little Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope that I'll likely put on the rifle for shooting 25 or 50 yards. I don't even know where to start looking for a decent rifle for my needs so I thought I'd crowdsource INGO for some advice... ;)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you thinking of something as accurate as the Annie? Or something that is accurate enough to be fun?

From least to most expensive, I’ve had good accuracy results from a Savage MkII, Ruger American and CZ 457. While I love my T-bolt, it heats up quickly and strings shots too quickly for range work.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've heard great things about CZ and bad things about Savage, though I hear the Savage issues are in the past. I'd love something that's inexpensive and lights out accurate, but I realize that might not be an easy combination to find. Since I love CZ handguns, I thought about picking up a CZ, though there are so many versions it makes my head spin!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    if i may, i own a ruger precision rimfire, and if you're looking for 25 and 50 yard shooting, the rprr is overkill, i'd look at a ruger american or a savage mkII

the price of the rprr is 415-430 (street price), its heavy, and what most are saying is that accuracy can and should be better, i'm in a facebook group that a lot of guys have changed the barrels (green mountain seems to be the main choice) and are getting the groups that the rifle should be shooting. and quite a few say they get better groups with their cz's than the rprr!

that said, I love my rprr, and as soon as I can get a good day to get to the range, I plan on a shooting comparison between it, and my savage mkII btv (thumbhole stock with a heavy barrel), everytime ive tried to go lately, either somethings come up, or its rained!, in fact I think ive been to the range 2 times this year (other than matches) and one time was to dial in the sight on my bowling pin/steel challenge 22 rifle.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    if i may, i own a ruger precision rimfire, and if you're looking for 25 and 50 yard shooting, the rprr is overkill, i'd look at a ruger american or a savage mkII

the price of the rprr is 415-430 (street price), its heavy, and what most are saying is that accuracy can and should be better, i'm in a facebook group that a lot of guys have changed the barrels (green mountain seems to be the main choice) and are getting the groups that the rifle should be shooting. and quite a few say they get better groups with their cz's than the rprr!

that said, I love my rprr, and as soon as I can get a good day to get to the range, I plan on a shooting comparison between it, and my savage mkII btv (thumbhole stock with a heavy barrel), everytime ive tried to go lately, either somethings come up, or its rained!, in fact I think ive been to the range 2 times this year (other than matches) and one time was to dial in the sight on my bowling pin/steel challenge 22 rifle.

Thanks for your thoughts. That matches my buddy T-DOGG, who bought an RPR used with a green mountain barrel and he's managed some really nice groups at 50 yards (as small as a quarter inch, which is about what I've managed with my Anschutz). Interested to hear your results between your Savage and your RPR.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a Ruger American rimfire that shoots sub dime size groups at 50-65 yds all day long.
    Could I get better out of it? I'm sure I can but I bought the gun to euthanize little fuzzies and it's great at that.
    It's a very pleasurable rimfire.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Savages are good if you get a good one. Changing a barrel is expensive if you need a gunsmith to do it. Triggers are good.

CZ cost more up front. Changing a barrel is an easy do it your self project. They are a switch barrel gun 455/457 not the 452. Triggers on 455 need a cheap kit 457 are adjustable.

RPR suffers from stock flex, bedding problems and feeding trouble. There is a lot of good information on snipers hide in the rimfire section and rimfire central has a lot of info also.

Do your research before you buy a headache it will be time well spent. They are all good rifles some are better than others.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Good info, thank you both! I may have the opportunity to shoot a Ruger American soon, so that may help me to decide.

The American's trigger is about 15 minutes and a ball point pen away from being one of the best around. I have the American target and it's a tack driver.

UzolF9t.jpg

Top Bottom