Greenfield

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Haven't tried the deflector but when I shot service rifle competition 20 years ago I clipped a couple of coils off of the ejector plunger spring and it threw the brass into a nice little pile at 2 o'clock and 5' out.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    It has always been my understanding that the angle of ejection of spent brass on the AR15 is determined by the volume of gas in the DI system vs the weight and rate of the recoil spring and their interaction.

As far as the distance of ejection, I think gmcttr has your answer for that one.

Keep in mind that if you purposely create week ejection to not pelt others with brass, then you could introduce potential malfunctions into your rifle later on.

With that said, if this is a range only rifle, then that is not really a big issue. However, if this rifle is a muli-purpose rifle and also serves in a self defense role, I would be more hesitant to remove a strong ejection cycle just for range benefit.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Hmm,
    Never considered it always thought of brass flying around just part of being around firearms?
    Does anyone remember the deflector for left handed fires on the A1 ?

BTW
    A M249 will rain brass on you from like 20 ft away!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am of the opinion that brass should land in the next county. However, back when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earf, I remember homemade deflectors, being fabricated from different plastics, being a thing.

IIRC they were sold in the back of American Rifleman in the 70s and 80s when I was a kid.

Coolest one I remember was white plastic (maybe styrofoam, IIRC) for a .22 M1919.

No experience with them, have always used a tarp to collect brass, then dump tarp contents into 5 gallon bucket from Lowe's or Rural King.

What? Get out of town. No one remembers the A1, grandpa.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I am of the opinion that brass should land in the next county. However, back when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earf, I remember homemade deflectors, being fabricated from different plastics, being a thing.

IIRC they were sold in the back of American Rifleman in the 70s and 80s when I was a kid.

Coolest one I remember was white plastic (maybe styrofoam, IIRC) for a .22 M1919.

No experience with them, have always used a tarp to collect brass, then dump tarp contents into 5 gallon bucket from Lowe's or Rural King.

What? Get out of town. No one remembers the A1, grandpa.

You'd like the ejection of the Boberg XR9/Bond Bullpup pistol. shooting in front of the rifle line, chucks it over the rifle line roof into the parking lot behind it.

As to the OP's question, I just use brass catchers when that's a concern.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Keep in mind that if you purposely create week ejection to not pelt others with brass, then you could introduce potential malfunctions into your rifle later on.

With that said, if this is a range only rifle, then that is not really a big issue. However, if this rifle is a muli-purpose rifle and also serves in a self defense role, I would be more hesitant to remove a strong ejection cycle just for range benefit.

I completely agree with this.

...As to the OP's question, I just use brass catchers when that's a concern.

I have one and it works OK but I usually forget to take it.

As has been stated, getting hit with brass is normal and it usually doesn't distract me...unless it goes down my shirt collar.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I completely agree with this.

I have one and it works OK but I usually forget to take it.

As has been stated, getting hit with brass is normal and it usually doesn't distract me...unless it goes down my shirt collar.

Or pinched in between the sling and your wrist. I caught a piece that wedged against my wrist during a timed run at an Appleseed. I powered through it and ignored the burn. For that effort, today I have a nice Rifleman patch as well as a pea sized scar on my wrist. :):

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hmm,

I do!!! Fort Dix, New Jersey - mid February. Since I'm a lefty, it was decided I had to have one. Of course, it was freezing cold, and my face was numb. It took a few seconds to realize that hot brass had wedged between my helmet strap and my face. I never used one again.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    The deflector brake might be nice for 300 Blk brass as the mouth of the case hits the shell deflector and tends to dent the casing. Not a huge deal but this would prevent that.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I put one on one of my ARs (I honestly don't remember if it was my .458 or one of my 6.8s) and it did stop the case mouths from getting dinged, I remember. I don't recall anything about where the spent brass flew with it, though.

The one on my 5.56 match rifle is the "standard" style sheetmetal one that goes under a rail mount, with a felt bad at the back of it.

Mike

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom