• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought an AK. They've never really appealed to me but an opportunity came along and I decided to give it a shot. I literally know next to nothing about these other than they shoot the 7.62x39 round and have gotten more expensive over the past few decades. I guess I'm looking for a bit of feedback on how I did, what I should know about this particular rifle and what I should consider adding (red dot & mount being top of the list). Can I swap parts? Do I need to pay attention to US made vs foreign parts?

I'd appreciate any info or feedback. I purchased a couple 20 round Pmags and one steel reinforced 30 round Pmag for it already. It's probably got one mag through it and I paid $550 for it.

c4enCcph.jpg

1ci2weCh.jpg

2dGENDFh.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was never gonna neither. Then I shot lovemywood's AK. :n00b:

I think it'd be good to have one in the safe to stay in tune with how to run and maintain it. Maybe take a class or two with it. It'd be good to pick one off the ground and be proficient with it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    At $550 for a DDI AK you did great. They are one of the very few American makers I trust. Since it is domestic, no worries on swapping parts. For an rds, consider an RS Regulate mount for the side rail. Pmags are decent, I prefer the humble steel surplus mags though. The Croatian mags can have fitting issues.

BTW, sgammo has Golden Tiger ammo very cheap right now. Again, that is a heck of a buy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think everyone should own and be able to safely and efficiently operate an AK. The are not my preference, but years ago I snagged a WASR from another INGO member specifically so I could become familiar. I trained with it long enough (including one of the last times I completed Louis Awerbuck's carbine class) to be able to use it from arms' length to 100 yards without any modifications other than a Burnsed loop around the base of the stock so I could use my single point sling. I had a lot of trouble seeing the iron sights then (maybe ten years ago) and I doubt if I could see the rear at all now, but I can hit okay using the front sight and shooting it essentially like a shotgun. Actually using mine for anything practical would be a last, last resort.

I think modifications and add-ons are only necessary if you're going to use it for a lot of recreational shooting or intend to keep it handy for emergencies. In those cases, I think better sights (like an aperture rear) would be the first thing to change (unless your vision allows you to use the standard sights effectively). Then I'd add a way to attach a sling of your choice. After that, a small red dot and a white light and maybe a left-side charging handle.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I shot 500 through mine before doing anything. Then I went with a zhukov stock and one of the magpul forends with an ultimak rail. LOVE it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Like stated above your good on your US parts count the receiver, trunnion, barrel, and FCG are the 6 parts alone (necessary count for a threaded barrel ak) you can go wild on parts swapping)...

Consider Kalinka optics for your red dots ..... They have a great collection and ak specific optics like the Kobra ,PK-01, PK-AS... They are some tough optics!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    There's an appleseed guy around here someplace with a Mohawk you need to talk to.
    MohawkSlim volunteers with Revere's Riders now and he no longer sports the Mohawk hairdo, but he certainly knows his way around an AK. Shoot him a PM. He might be available to spend some range time with you acquainting you with AK [STRIKE]nuisances[/STRIKE] nuances.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would say you did very well purchasing the gun for that price!

Five years ago or so I had an acquaintance that had a Norinco AK that appeared to have never been fired. He needed money so I bought it fairly cheap then did a lot of work on it. First I changed all the parts necessary to make it 922r compliant. (You don't have that problem unless you change certain US made part to foreign ones, there are numerous lists on the net listing the "critical" items). Then I changed the furniture to a Walnut stock set from Ironwood. I purchased a POSP Russian scope and mount (not for accuracy ~ just old eyes).

I saved all the original parts as these are somewhat collectable. The only mods I did was a threaded hole on the side of the receiver for the scope mount.

IMHO the AK is probably the most rugged, reliable semi-auto rifle ever made. Accuracy is nothing to brag about (2~3 MOA), but sufficient for the original purpose - minute of man at 300 yard. I have a 5 or 6 AR's (various calibers) and an LR .308 along with Garands, M1 carbine,
    SVD-40, and numerous other WW2 rifles. In a SHTF situation the AK would be in the top 5 or so go to firearms!

Ammo is quite cheap, readily available and is a ball to shoot. Does throw the brass about half as far as the bullet, and at random directions, but I mostly shoot steel cased ammo so no big issue.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You already know more than me about the platform. I've shot other peoples several times. My only take home was that every one of them required wearing gloves to prevent scraping, cutting, and generally beating up my hands during weapons manipulations.
    Tagged for AK 101 information.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have one of the old Maadi AKM rifles from the 80s. It rarely sees the light of day. Nothing wrong with them but they just aren't my thing.

Good luck with your's Philo, it looks a lot more up to date.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have one of the old Maadi AKM rifles from the 80s. It rarely sees the light of day. Nothing wrong with them but they just aren't my thing.

Good luck with your's Philo, it looks a lot more up to date.

I've got a Maadi MISR. Only thing I did to it was add a rear Tech Sight and that made a big difference in (my) accuracy.
    6gEz8xC.jpg

And while not an AK, I got in on the VZ2008 craze a few years ago and got this from J&G (I think) for cheap. Of course I proceeded to order some Israeli furniture (that beaver barf stuff heats up quick!) and duded it all up.

Before:
    3LymIxY.jpg

After:
    bnFcqxO.jpg

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Hey Doggy, any suggestions on removing the screw that holds on the VZ's folding stock ? Have the same replacement as yours but have been putting it off because i know its a pain to get out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hey Doggy, any suggestions on removing the screw that holds on the VZ's folding stock ? Have the same replacement as yours but have been putting it off because i know its a pain to get out.

I clamped the gun down to a sturdy surface, then used a blow torch (they use something akin to red loctite to hold it in there), then a large flat-head screw driver with flat sides on the shaft. Used a wrench on the flats of the screw driver to get more leverage. I just hit it with the blow torch until I started seeing the loctite or whatever start to bubble out a little.

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    I have a WASR 10 that I love, first rifle I purchased a couple years ago that started the addiction. I have some tactical parts for it but I ended up with the original look, wood stock and leather sling. It is a little short for someone like me with long arms but I make do. Plenty accurate and fun to shoot.

Top Bottom