• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Im wanting to get a 6.5 Grendel upper but must admit know very little about them. Just going to punch paper at range and take a few coyotes with it. My question is what do i need to know about type I and type II bolt carriers?

lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Thanks Rookie! Been on this sight a long time but hardly ever post. A lot of knowledgeable posters if a question a rises.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Thanks Rookie! Been on this sight a long time but hardly ever post. A lot of knowledgeable posters if a question a rises.

I can't claim to be knowledgeable, but I read a lot of good reviews on the barrel I gave a link to. I've been impressed. Less than 1/2 moa and not a hiccup.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Same here. Very interested. But 'type 1' vs. 'type 2'. :dunno: Due to headspace difference?

Please help this potential 6.5G noob.

The original Grendel was designed as the type 2! It was designed to work with a Grendel bolt designed for the application and has a deeper cut for the bolt face that allows for stronger extractors. The design was released by Alexander Arms (as I recall). The type 1 was a design that followed that was issued by Les Baer Customs. It was designed to work with a 7.62 X 39 bolt. So the main difference is in the Head space.

Either type will work ok (though the type 2 does have a better extractor). Problems occur when the Type 1 barrel is assembled with a Grendel bolt (may not even close on the cartridge) or when a Type 2 barrel is used with a 7.62 Bolt allowing excess head space and ejection problems.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, the confusing thing is that the CORRECT bolt depth (0.136) somehow came to be called "type 2" when it came first. Confused? I was. I just went with it.

Les Baer's 264 LBC is essentially the same round, but instead of the compound throat used by AA on the Grendel, it has a straight taper, from what I understand-- AND it is set up for the .125 bolt depth.

As long as you get a SAAMI chamber and a "type 2" bolt, you're GTG.

The JP bolt is probably the cream of the Grendel bolt crop, although AA ones have proven reliable. (better heat treat than mil spec-- stronger part).

I've been toying with the idea of building a precision Grendel upper using a Precision Firearms barrel cut on a Criterion or Bartlein blank and a JP bolt.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, the confusing thing is that the CORRECT bolt depth (0.136) somehow came to be called "type 2" when it came first. Confused? I was. I just went with it.

Les Baer's 264 LBC is essentially the same round, but instead of the compound throat used by AA on the Grendel, it has a straight taper, from what I understand-- AND it is set up for the .125 bolt depth.

As long as you get a SAAMI chamber and a "type 2" bolt, you're GTG.

The JP bolt is probably the cream of the Grendel bolt crop, although AA ones have proven reliable. (better heat treat than mil spec-- stronger part).

I've been toying with the idea of building a precision Grendel upper using a Precision Firearms barrel cut on a Criterion or Bartlein blank and a JP bolt.

Check out the Satern barrel through Brownells. It comes with a correctly head spaced bolt. I easily get 1/2 MOA with factory loads.

Top Bottom