• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So, I converted my DPMS to 6.5 creedmoor. So far, I'm not impressed. I'm getting 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards. I know it's not me since I'm getting 1/2-3/4 inch groups out of my grendel. Also, the 308 barrel wasn't that impressive either.

Here's what I have...
    DPMS SASS with Criterion 18 inch barrel.
    Geissele high speed national match trigger

I've tried multiple bullet brands and weights, but nothing is better. Any suggestions?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    My Bergara Premier Long Range rifle shoots around .25 MOA with Hornady 140 grain ELD Match factory ammo. Barrel twist is 1:8 (26").

What ammo are you using? What's your barrel twist? Criterion makes good barrels for sure, but it's possible that something subtle on yours is not ideal for precision (e.g. crown, chamber, etc.).

dQC6hHD.jpg

shykA9N.jpg

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've tried 140 grain ELD match along with other brands and weights. 1-8 twist on my barrel as well.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Have you checked your scope mounts? I know I've fought accuracy issues due to equipment (or my brain) failures.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Slight update. If things continue to go the way it's going - Criterion will be my first choice on all builds.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I recently bought my first custom rifle made by GA Precision in 6.5cm. I followed the barrel break in procedure very closely and I'm glad I did. During the break in period of firing one shot, and then cleaning I'd try to make some minor adjustments to my scope (vortex razor g2) and so while I was going along with the break in process I was starting to get some kinds of groups on paper as I was going along. Honestly, I was starting to freak out because until I got to around 60 rounds through the gun the groups were complete crap and I was starting to get that sinking feeling in my gut that I had just wasted a lot of money. I ended up around 65 rounds or more before I was wondering if I was shooting a one hole group or if I was missing after the first shot. All I'm saying is if you haven't done a barrel break in, you may want to consider it. It's a hassle, and it sucks, but it can get results and if you don't do it you'll never know. Also, You may have just not shot enough rounds through it yet for it to have come into its sweet spot. Every round through my rifle has been Hornady 140gr ELD factory loads with no exception. Different factory ammo will leave a different trail of crud behind it in your barrel. I hope that helps, and I hope your rifle starts to shoot better for you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I recently bought my first custom rifle made by GA Precision in 6.5cm. I followed the barrel break in procedure very closely and I'm glad I did. During the break in period of firing one shot, and then cleaning I'd try to make some minor adjustments to my scope (vortex razor g2) and so while I was going along with the break in process I was starting to get some kinds of groups on paper as I was going along. Honestly, I was starting to freak out because until I got to around 60 rounds through the gun the groups were complete crap and I was starting to get that sinking feeling in my gut that I had just wasted a lot of money. I ended up around 65 rounds or more before I was wondering if I was shooting a one hole group or if I was missing after the first shot. All I'm saying is if you haven't done a barrel break in, you may want to consider it. It's a hassle, and it sucks, but it can get results and if you don't do it you'll never know. Also, You may have just not shot enough rounds through it yet for it to have come into its sweet spot. Every round through my rifle has been Hornady 140gr ELD factory loads with no exception. Different factory ammo will leave a different trail of crud behind it in your barrel. I hope that helps, and I hope your rifle starts to shoot better for you.

There are several differing opinions on barrel break in. In a former life I had the opportunity to break in four brand new HS Precision rifles. At the time HS was making some of the best rifles available. With two of them I followed a barrel break in procedure and experienced results similar to what you describe. With the other two I just shot them and watched them come together much quicker.

In my opinion, a barrel from any of the custom makers (Bartlein, Obermeyer, Schneider, Lilja, Krieger, etc.) should not need any type of break in. They should be lapped to the point where the are no imperfections remaining which will be improved by shooting/cleaning/shooting/cleaning. Factory barrels are a different animal and while I still don't follow a break in procedure, I expect very little out of a factory barrel until it's had a few hundred rounds through it.

All barrels will have imperfections in the bore. When you shoot these imperfections will begin to fill in with copper from the bullet jacket. These imperfections can only "hold" so much copper so once you've filled them in you end up with a very smooth, burnished bore which is capable of it's best consistency. The shoot one, clean, shoot one, clean, shoot two clean, etc. process just delays the imperfections filling up. Again, this is my opinion, the bullets spent during these break in periods are wasted and don't so anything but add wear to the barrel while providing little to no benefit to the shooter.

Not bashing anyone and I'm sure there are differing opinions and experiences but I stopped cleaning my rifle barrels years ago until they tell me they need it. When I do clean them I immediately put 10 rounds through the barrel to get things burnished back where I need them to be.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I debate on the value of a barrel break in most times as well. It's a pain, but it's also a one time deal. I figure if the experts at GA Precision tell me I should do it what's the worst case scenario that comes from that.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I did not break in my Satern 6.5 Grendel barrel and got 1/2 inch groups immediately. When I emailed Criterion about my accuracy issues, they didn't mention the need to break in the barrel. Both barrels are hand lapped.

Top Bottom