I'm not sure why, other than just because.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was at a LGS on Monday searching for a Model 12 in 12 gauge for my father-in-law. They said we have a 16 gauge but no 12. So just for giggles, I asked to see the 16. He went in the back and after a while he brought it up. The finish was rough and had some kind of poly-choke on it. It also had a non-vented rib. I worked the action and it seemed good. The wood looked decent. S/N matched on the barrel and receiver too. So I handed it back and said I'll think about it.

I got home and searched the S/N. 1937 was it's birthday. I have no need for it. I wasn't even looking at buying a shotgun, especially a 16 gauge. I'll probably shoot it a little and it will live in the safe. But I couldn't let it slip by. It came home with me today.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I think that's one reason I like it. I'd love to know what it's been through in it's 82 years too. I checked the bolt hole in the stock to see if there was anything there. It was empty.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Without exception, my favorite guns are the ones that look well used. Looks great!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Found the patent drawing of the poly choke.

US2656637-drawings-page-1.png

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    That's a Winchester. I have a model 12 and it's a sweet shooting shotgun. Once you shoot one of those, modern shotguns seem seriously lacking in character.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The furniture is surprisingly in good shape which makes me wonder if it has been replaced at some point. At least the butt stock. I could see the forend being original.

They quit making the model 12's in the early 60's. I think. Some say they were the best pump action ever made. I can't say that because I haven't shot it yet. My father-in-law had a bunch of model 12's and he loved shooting them. Sadly he lost them all in a house fire last October.

This one might end up with him. I was looking for a 12 gauge for him when I found this one. If he likes it, I'll let him have it.

Conductor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2019
    ANDREWS
    My Model 12 trench gun is probably my favorite of everything that I own. These shotguns just look right, not to mention, slam fire capability....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a model 12 in 12 g, I have thought about getting a 16 and a 20. They can be pretty salty any more in good shape. I have a 12 and 16 in the Mod 97. The 16 g was my Dad's.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Hi. My name is Mongo, and I am a model 12 junkie.

There is not a thing wrong with the 16. As people get older they find it will do everything the 12 will but "more comfortably".

Your FIL is a blessed man to have so thoughtful a SIL.

I know of no squirrel, rabbit or bird alive today that can tell the story, "they would have had me if it wasn't for the fact they had a 16ga..."

Top Bottom