Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Browning Auto 5 12 ga

A lady friend of the wife has a FN BELGIUN BROWNING Auto-5, Grade 1, 12GA SEMI AUTOMATIC SHOTGUN, 1948 MFG DATE, SCTOLL ENGRAVED, 30" BBL, 2 3/4", CHOKED full, RIB, MEDIUM DARK FIGURED WALNUT, PISTOL GRIP, FINGER GROOVE FOREND, with Packmure Recoil Pad sold at Mages Sport Store, Chicago, Ill. Nov 1, 1948. It has been used over the years but is a good 85-90. Front bead is gone but center ivory bead is there. She asked me what price to charge when she sold. I told her I don't do shotguns but A5's cost so she might get $2500-$2600 from it. Is there anyone in the Indy area that could give her a better idea what it is worth. It is in Plainfield. She is in need of the money but wants to make sure it is priced right.
    Battle of Belleau Wood, The Battle of Iwo Jima, Battle of Chosin Reservor,Tet Offensive!

Master

User Info Menu

I certainly could be wrong, but 2500-2600 seems to be a bit high. I looked on Gun Broker and there was on with a buy it now price right at 2k. I'd speculate 2k is about right depending on wear. You might give the guys up at Indiana Gun Club a call and see what they say. They should have a good idea of the value

Expert

User Info Menu

I buy them all the time from my LGS for <$600 in better condition than you describe.

Sweet 16's can go for $1200 or more.

In the last 2 years I have bought 6 of them for less than $500 each...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

I agree with Mongo, A5's aren't exactly rare there's tons of them out there, top dollar 100% from Bluebook is only 700-800 for a standard A5.

User Info Menu

Be a good one to make into a Rhodie .
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

M67

User Info Menu

30" Full is kinda unique

Having a recoil pad detracts from the value cause it would have had a buttplate. If it's had a recoil pad on it chances are the stock has been chopped which takes away from the value as well, usually a big hit.

How's the forearm? Is it split? Bolt handle resting on the receiver or is there a gap?

Regardless, even mint in box, $2k is suuuuuuuper optimistic. In that condition it's not worth anything close to that. Even the limited editions or super rare ones are touchy at that price

User Info Menu

I remember them being around $700.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo59 View Post
    I buy them all the time from my LGS for <$600 in better condition than you describe.

Sweet 16's can go for $1200 or more.

In the last 2 years I have bought 6 of them for less than $500 each...
    Wow that kinda surprised me. I figured the value woulda been higher than that

User Info Menu

My father collect's A5's. You can get 2000 for a light 12 in perfect near unfired condition. In what you describe 750 would be absolute top dollar.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Marksman

User Info Menu

This gun is a grade 1 with engraving not a standard. The ones I found in 12ga ran $2200-$2500 that's why I asked. A friend in Ohio that collects Auto-5's said that junk ones are $1500-1800 if shotable.
    Battle of Belleau Wood, The Battle of Iwo Jima, Battle of Chosin Reservor,Tet Offensive!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast