• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Any sharps owners out there? Been getting the itch for a Quigley. Been after one for years but feels like I may be getting closer to pulling the trigger... Any opinions or experiences?

Gypsy31

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Newburgh
    My father has 3. 2 are Sharp’s, a 32 and 34 inch barrel, and the other is a Pedersoli reproduction with a 30 inch barrel. All are 45-70s. The 34 inch Sharp’s he ordered from Shiloh and had a 3 year wait back in the mid 90s. It’s pretty much the Quigley rifle without the patch box in the stock.

As far shooting them, he always had a smile on his face when he took them out to the range and they were usually a conversation starter due to the billowing smoke and huge sounds the gongs would make when he smacked them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have the pedersoli Quigley model. I've only put 100-200 rounds through it, but it is a peice of art. I've yet to get the hand of shooting no sling, so accuracy isn't great, but that's not the guns fault.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The Pedersoli is very nice and popular is cowboy shooting circles for side matches. Stay away from IAB. There's a reason they say IAB stands for Its Always Broken.
    The Shiloh Sharps made in Montana is one of the most sought after. The folks that have them say its a buy once - cry once purchase.
    There is also a C. Sharps in Montana and they also make excellent rifles.
    They actually hold a Quigley Match out west every year and the closest target is 350 yards and that has to be shot free hand. There is an article about it in The Black Powder Cartridge News, winter 2018 issue.
    SASS clubs that have the room also have long range side matches. Many of them prefer .45-90 to .45-110 for the long range shots. I recommend checking out the forums on sassnet.com and do a search for sharps. There is a lot to read.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have an Italian repop rifle (not carbine) in .54 caliber with an added Lawrence pellet primer lockplate. The originals were in .52 or .56, the the Italians just split the difference.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    The Pedersoli is very nice and popular is cowboy shooting circles for side matches. Stay away from IAB. There's a reason they say IAB stands for Its Always Broken.
    The Shiloh Sharps made in Montana is one of the most sought after. The folks that have them say its a buy once - cry once purchase.
    There is also a C. Sharps in Montana and they also make excellent rifles.
    They actually hold a Quigley Match out west every year and the closest target is 350 yards and that has to be shot free hand. There is an article about it in The Black Powder Cartridge News, winter 2018 issue.
    SASS clubs that have the room also have long range side matches. Many of them prefer .45-90 to .45-110 for the long range shots. I recommend checking out the forums on sassnet.com and do a search for sharps. There is a lot to read.

I have a friend who just returned from shooting the Quigley match. He said it was educational to say the least. It was his first time at this shoot and I think he did very respectable. He finished 163 out of 549 shooters and finishd 6th for first time shooters.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I own a nice Shiloh in .45-70. It's plain, no fancy stuff and still quite the beauty. Shoots better than I can. Before I bought the Shiloh, I had a Pedersoli. Not even in the same league.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I own a nice Shiloh in .45-70. It's plain, no fancy stuff and still quite the beauty. Shoots better than I can. Before I bought the Shiloh, I had a Pedersoli. Not even in the same league.

I own a left handed Axtell Sharps I have never shot, I shoot Browning BPCR's., with Montana Vintage Sights.
    My brother has a few Shiloh's, Absolutely beautiful rifles, and yes not in the same league.

Top Bottom