• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I received these two side by side shotguns a year or so ago from a friend that didn't want them.

They are pretty beat up and they don't seem to lock closed properly (they seem to lock before the lever is centered on the receiver).

One is a Fox Model B in 16 gauge and the other is a Stevens 311A in 12 gauge. I don't know anything about side by side shotguns and was wondering if they are worth trying to fix up to get running again (or if they're even safe to shoot as is).

I'm not big on restoring them or anything, just getting them back to being able to shoot them safely... and possibly cut one down for a coach gun or even SBS just for the heck of it since I love giving the government money. I don't know how complicated cutting one of these down is, though, so I may not really want to deal with it. I don't hunt, so having a couple 28" barreled side by sides (or whatever length they are) really isn't my thing... plus they take up a ton of room in the safe.

thumbnail_IMG_0384-X2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0385-X2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0388-X2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0389-X2.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    What engraving is on the bottom of the Fox B? Is it a fox or a duck hunting scene ? Duck scene is older.
    I have a B with the Duck scene in 12G, it was my dads , so priceless to me.
    About 15 yrs ago I saw a B 16G (duck) at a gunshow and they wanted $500 for it, I've never priced mine.

The Stevens is basicly the same gun,just the cheaper version, both came in different configurations- Single trigger/ Double, plain stocks or checkered, different barrel lengths.
    If the B is the duck scene, please don't cut it down

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Guess I'm not following your comment about the actions lock-up? The Stevens appears to lock-up beyond center which is usually an indication of wear. The Fox appears to lock up before center, which would be desirable. What's going on with the barrel mark that almost looks like a split/bulge below the "PRO" in PROOF TESTED on the Fox ??

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Guess I'm not following your comment about the actions lock-up? The Stevens appears to lock-up beyond center which is usually an indication of wear. The Fox appears to lock up before center, which would be desirable. What's going on with the barrel mark that almost looks like a split/bulge below the "PRO" in PROOF TESTED on the Fox ??

You are correct about the lock-up on the Stevens. It locks up way beyond center. I haven't actually looked at them in a while. I just pulled them out of the back of the safe to get some photos so I could ask about them.

The lock up on the Fox is before center. Now that I'm messing with it, it does seem decent. That line under the PRO is part of the stamp. There is a matching one after the word CHAMBER that you really can't see in the photo.

I also just noticed that the rear trigger on the Stevens doesn't seem to do anything.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good hunting shotguns, I would clean them up and use them, rabbits, squirrels or birds.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I do believe that the Fox D/B may have some collectors value to it? I am no expert by any means though. I would not change anything about either, that is just me though. They were free so enjoy!!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I do believe that the Fox D/B may have some collectors value to it? I am no expert by any means though. I would not change anything about either, that is just me though. They were free so enjoy!!

I'm not going to mess with the Fox beyond cleaning it up and shooting it once I get some 16 gauge ammunition.

I'm not sure what to do with the Stevens. I don't know if replacing parts will fix the lock up or what it needs. I might tear it down as far as I can to see what's what.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The 12ga is going for 205 right now on gb. The fox on gb there are no 16's but a 20 is up to 372.

I have a wards 20ga and springfield 16ga both savage stevens 311s in reality. They were my great grandpas and both still run today 90 some years later.

Wouldnt mind completing the set with a 12 if the price was right.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just go get a stagecoach gun if you want...leave those field guns to someone who wants them. I have a Fox 12ga and like it.

Top Bottom