• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I haven't looked into this subject for many years. I seem to remember some companies being less than reliable and others better, metal feeding lips vs plastic...
    I need a couple magazines with decent capacity (25 rds) and want to avoid the noob mistakes.
    What do I get?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just buy the factory Ruger mags. Thats all i use anymore and they have been 100% reliable.

Check Gun mag warehouse. Usually run some pretty good deals on the 25 rounders

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    90361_L.jpg

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Butler Creek with the plastic lips have been awful for me. I just bought a couple with steel lips very cheap but have not used them yet. I have had some issues with the ruger 25 round but never with the 10 rounders

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had the Butler creel steel lip "Hot Lips" before the ban and they ran great.

FWIW I need a factory 10 round mag for mine.
    One with the slotted screw, not Allen.
    The bottom will have the eagle and the SR on it.

For the old Fingergroove.
    I keep an eye peeled at gunshops. Some newer used guns will have the older mag (it was a spare for somebody).

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have a few of the BX25 mags, but honestly I don't use them very often. The exception being when shooting offhand while standing.

Because they are so long they make shooting while prone or off a bench more difficult than it needs to be. Just my 2 cents.

As to brand, I stick with Ruger OEM mags. Never tried anything else. That said, I do have one 10 Rd box mag that gives me trouble and is no longer in the regular rotation, at least for RR events.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have switched mostly to the factory mags. I still have a few of the old Ramline 50 rd mags that actually work. I really don't use anything larger than the 15 rd mags anymore.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I do have several of the Buttler Creek Steel Lips 25 rounders. They have been great for me. But sinve my 10/22 is not mostly a bench rifle, the factory 10 Rd mags are what I use the most.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Forgot to mention if you want something extremely high capacity i have had rea. good luck with the GSG 10/22 110 round drum mags, and they actually hold 120 rounds. Have 2 my daughter uses and have functioned pretty darn flawlessly as well, with the exception of a time or 2 here and there and i believe that to be a loading the mag issue over anything else.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The do (did?) make a BX-25 x2 which is two molded together upside-down.

Yeah, I got a PM offer to buy one of those and I'm going to take him up on it. I didn't know those existed. This will be mostly for Friday night steel type things so that will work very well.
    I agree with others, for more precision, sling, target use the smaller capacity ones are more attractive (if it is anything like my AR where the 30round mags are in the way for position shooting.)

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown
    Anyone know if there is any performance difference between the black vs clear BX25 mags? It seems the clear version is a more brittle plastic than than the black.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i have 1 factory 10 round clear plastic mag that i use in my precision rimfire, and its perfect (I hear people have problems with them in 10/22's)
    I have 2 factory bx25 mags that run great in my 10/22's
    I have 1 factory bx15 mag (that came with my precision rimfire) that runs perfect in my 10/22's but jams in the precision rimfire (im not the only person with that issue, most rprr shooters use 10 rd mags)
    I have 3 tandemkross "doublekross" mags (you take 2 10 round mags apart and put them in a shell that make 1 over/under mag that holds 20) and they work in my 10/22's, but get stuck in my precision rimfire?

but I got an email from cdnn sports that says they have a factory 10 round mags for 12.99 each, and a 3 pack for 39.99 (that's 13.33 each lol) and good prices on other 10/22 mags (but remember cdnn has a 10 dollar shipping charge)

https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=10/22

now in the past ive used eagle/condor mags..."in the past" being the key words in that sentence!...now that I shoot my rugers in competitions, all I use are factory mags...UNTIL I see the cost on the tacsol 10/22 mags that they are coming out with! (I assume they'll be expensive, and if they are, i'll keep using the factory mags!)

if im plinking, i'll use aftermarket mags (ive got a few for the 10/22 and my mark 1) but for competition aftermarket mags are a no-no! (unless they're mecgar, and they make ruger's metal magazines)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    i have 1 factory 10 round clear plastic mag that i use in my precision rimfire, and its perfect (I hear people have problems with them in 10/22's)
    I have 2 factory bx25 mags that run great in my 10/22's
    I have 1 factory bx15 mag (that came with my precision rimfire) that runs perfect in my 10/22's but jams in the precision rimfire (im not the only person with that issue, most rprr shooters use 10 rd mags)
    I have 3 tandemkross "doublekross" mags (you take 2 10 round mags apart and put them in a shell that make 1 over/under mag that holds 20) and they work in my 10/22's, but get stuck in my precision rimfire?

but I got an email from cdnn sports that says they have a factory 10 round mags for 12.99 each, and a 3 pack for 39.99 (that's 13.33 each lol) and good prices on other 10/22 mags (but remember cdnn has a 10 dollar shipping charge)

https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=10/22

now in the past ive used eagle/condor mags..."in the past" being the key words in that sentence!...now that I shoot my rugers in competitions, all I use are factory mags...UNTIL I see the cost on the tacsol 10/22 mags that they are coming out with! (I assume they'll be expensive, and if they are, i'll keep using the factory mags!)

if im plinking, i'll use aftermarket mags (ive got a few for the 10/22 and my mark 1) but for competition aftermarket mags are a no-no! (unless they're mecgar, and they make ruger's metal magazines)

Ive been getting the 3 packs of ruger 10 round mags on ebay for right around $33 per pack. Have bought 3 sets in the past 3 months or so. Stocked up on them for our annual NWI Ingo youth shoot we just had.

Heres a link to ebay on them. Free shipping. Theres other sellers in same price range as well.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182547313536

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, I got a PM offer to buy one of those and I'm going to take him up on it. I didn't know those existed. This will be mostly for Friday night steel type things so that will work very well.
    I agree with others, for more precision, sling, target use the smaller capacity ones are more attractive (if it is anything like my AR where the 30round mags are in the way for position shooting.)

I bought one and 50 rounds of 22lr really throw off the balance of the rifle IMO. I like the 25 round mags though, and would buy more.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Bought two Butler Creek mags before the 94 ban, have had them since, used in two Appleseeds and for general plinking.....saying that haven't bought new ones in years, so......

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does Ruger still make the factory 10rd clear ones? At one time, the cool trend was to dye these different colors with Rit dye.

Top Bottom