• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    ...specifically the one from compass lake engineering. Anyone have one or know anyone who has installed it? Trying to decide between this on the one rock river offers.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've had mine for ~20 years. I bought a complete heavy barreled Service Rifle upper from CLE. It has been stellar.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have one. i like it. I have not seen the Rock River version so can't comment on how they compare. If you want to come see it sometime, be my guest. I'm in Castleton.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My experience is limited to RRA's FF tube but I imagine that's a tough decision trying to decide which is "better".

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Cool. For those of you that have it, what modifications were required to the gas tube? I’ve looked at their website but it’s not terribly clear.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    I have one. i like it. I have not seen the Rock River version so can't comment on how they compare. If you want to come see it sometime, be my guest. I'm in Castleton.

Are you running the standard a2/a4 handguards, and did you have to modify the gas tube?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Are you talking about an A2 float tube? Or a MATCH rifle float tube?

Either way, go with Frank's version.

Frank and Theresa can FIX a problem if you have it; Compass Lake MAKES 1/2 the stuff that the other AR smiths use...like, uh.. White Oak. Frank, unlike most others, also can and will do custom machine stuff for your rifle if you want it.

RRA, as much as they are loved, is still globo-corporate.

By buying from Frank, you probably also support a grand-daughter's riding lessons, or some such thing. Literally.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh.

And SCREW rebending your gas tube.

Have him send you one ready-made. You have shooting to do...there's no time to be di*^ing with your pliers.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My CLE kit came complete with free float tube, pre-bent gas tube & trimmed to fit A2 style hand guards (non-heat shielded due to the free float tube). Everything went together smoothly. They even emailed after getting the kit asking if everything was OK.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Agreed...just get the CLE gas tube made for their free float handguard.

Give them a call if you have any questions. They are good people.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    My CLE kit came complete with free float tube, pre-bent gas tube & trimmed to fit A2 style hand guards (non-heat shielded due to the free float tube). Everything went together smoothly. They even emailed after getting the kit asking if everything was OK.

Where was the gas tube bent and have you had any issues with reliability?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    CLE gas tube and free float tube...

Z1fvx6e.jpg

5VdRFes.jpg

The bend is simply forward of a mil spec. No reason for any reliability issues.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    CLE gas tube and free float tube...

Z1fvx6e.jpg

5VdRFes.jpg

The bend is simply forward of a mil spec. No reason for any reliability issues.

Thanks for the pics!!! That answers a lot. Did it change the balance of the rifle drastically or would it still be manageable shooting off hand?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Did it change the balance of the rifle drastically or would it still be manageable shooting off hand?

The barrel and free float tube were originally on a carry handle upper set up for service rifle competition before optics were allowed. The barrel is only slightly smaller in diameter than the float tube (inside the float tube) and lead weights were added under the handguards and in the buttstock bringing the total weight up to ~13.5 lbs. Service rifle is shot from standing, sitting and prone positions and the rifle was quite manageable offhand with proper technique.

All of that was my way of saying the minimal weight of the tube will add a small amount to the front but should be fine. If your rifle has aluminum heat shields under the handguards they will not be used with the conversion.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Much appreciated. My setup will be just a standard govt profile barrel so it doesn’t sound like balance will be changed too much.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yeah, A2s with float tubes can be shot pretty okay on your feet. If you are bithered, add some weight in the back...but if you're good enough fir it to matter a lot, then you're probably not gonna want a Government profile.

;)

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Yeah, A2s with float tubes can be shot pretty okay on your feet. If you are bithered, add some weight in the back...but if you're good enough fir it to matter a lot, then you're probably not gonna want a Government profile.

;)

Yeah. My goal isn’t to build a competition rifle per se. I just want to see how much I can wring out of a stock A4 without modifying the main components. A sleeper if you will.

Top Bottom