Not a handgun, Not a Long gun....but it is an AR....Kinda....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Got bit by the Glock mag AR9 bug. So I started some Google Fu to investigate build vs buy. Decided against building and ended buying a PSA AR9.

I bought the lower and upper separately from PSA as they did not have the combo I wanted in a complete firearm.

I got the slim Mlok railed 10.5" upper with the billet lower.

I then purchased the upgrades that I wanted. Most of which were external additions and a little bling.

As best as I can tell, most of these are just outsourced AR9 parts. It does appears that some parts are PSA, but most are not. The lower is New Frontier Armory without the last round option (for the Glock lowers anyway). The bolt is Kaw Valley Precision. The Buffer tube and brace are SB tactical......ect. The fire control group, safety, mag release and possibly the rail (which I think might also be Kaw Valley Precision) seem like they are PSA parts. So it's a piece meal assembly, not all original.

With that said, it looks like to me they choose some decent parts. And for the most part, I was pretty happy with the internals. I did make 1 change pretty quick. The lower came with a carbine buffer tube, a carbine spring, but the standard length carbine buffer at the heavier 5.3oz 9mm weight. This allows the bolt to travel farther than it should in a 9mm setup. So I installed a New Frontier polymer buffer spacer to limit travel.

After installing my Daniel Defense iron sights, off to the range I go to sight the AR9 in. Being new to the AR9, I was not quite sure what to expect. Definitely quieter than all my AR15's. Recoil was not that much different though.

I got through 90% of my sighting in, which the gun ran flawlessly, when I had a breakdown. The ejector in the New Frontier non-bolt hold open lower is held in with just 2 set screws that press it in place. So basically it's a friction fit. Apparently no one thought to use any Loctite and the set screws came loose. This allowed the ejector to come out of the groove it sets in and it jammed down into the magazine. This jammed the bold part way back and left the gun inoperable. Once I got it home, I had to pry out the magazine, which destroyed the plastic locking tab on the mag itself. It turns out the mag was dead before that anyway though because when the ejector jammed into it, it destroyed the feed lips.

I called PSA and they sent me a new ejector ($4 part on NFA's website). No compensation for the mag. Thankfully it was a KCI mag I installed a Wolf spring in.....Mag was only $10. I bought another mag and saved the Wolf spring to swap out again, the spring was OK.

I decided I was going to make sure this ejector never comes out again. So on the new ejector I drilled "dimples" lined up for the set screws to engage so they had some positive retention other than just pressure. Also, when I reinstalled the ejector, I clean everything really well with rubbing alcohol and smothered it all in blue Loctite. It's not coming out unless I really want it to.

During this, I noticed how much carbon was in the receiver. I have seen people complain about the AR15, but after only 130 rounds, the upper and lower were really filthy. I also noticed that my brass had a fair amount of carbon on the outside as well. Since the AR9 only uses spring pressure and bolt / buffer weight to delay opening, I was concerned the bolt may have been opening earlier than it should. However, none of my brass were bulged, so it was not to terrible, just not to my liking.

So while making ejector repairs I ordered a Tubb's 308 flat wire buffer spring and a PSA 8.0oz extended 9mm buffer. This seems to have helped greatly. Now the brass look pretty comparable to my other locked breech pistols in regards to carbon fouling on the exterior and it still is heaving the brass 15 feet or so with ejection.

I was very happy with the results during my 2nd range session. It could have been just a good day for me, but it seems to me that the heavier recoil spring and buffer may have tightened up my groups a bit. I know many say the heavier spring and buffer are supposed to reduce recoil. I think it does, but to me the recoil reduction was minor.

Since I know :postpics: I have some below.

This is my sight in target from today after repairs and changes. This is with iron sights at 25 yards with a full 33 round magazine.

qmdk8bj.jpg

Are hear are the pics of my final creation minus my VTAC sling.

s40BwKh.jpg

zOCixkW.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Nice. The LRBHO is a feature built into New Frontier uppers.

I have two New Frontier setups (one marked as Joe Bob Outfitters). No problems with the first one but on the second upper the screws holding the LRBHO cover plate backed out on the first range trip and during the second range trip the set screw holding the side charging handle detent screw and spring launched along with the detent and spring.

I really like the N.F. upper and lower but it seems they are hit or miss on fastener tightness. All the fasteners are blue loctited now.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    NFA offers both bolt hold open and non hold open lowers on their website right now. I just purchased several "spare parts" from their website for my non hold open lower. It seems PSA is no longer offering the branded lowers with hold open as I have seen several others commenting on this in other forums.

Yes, i checked my lower and all the screw-pins (for mag release and bolt catch) were loose and needed tightened. I wish I would have thought to check them at first. At least the lower and upper were unharmed and it was a fairly inexpensive lesson.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    AR9 bug, not AR9 BUG. I was getting ready to ask "what is your primary EDC" :laugh:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm curious why people choose the Glock mag setup over the Colt pattern design.
    I understand about magazine compatibilty and all that, but when I went looking at AR9's I found many more reviews outlining issues with feeding regarding the Glock pattern lowers.
    Maybe this was only when using a mag block. I'm not sure.

I did not see the same complaints about the Colt pattern offerings, and since I don't own a Glock, I went with the dedicated 9mm Colt pattern lower.
    I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, but nary an issue, feeding, firing, or ejecting.
    The Colt pattern lower also has the LRBHO feature.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    There is zero benefit to glock mags. Subguns run faster, feed smoother, and load easier (straight insert vs angled) using colt mags. They are also cheaper by nearly half for high capacity mags. Subguns can beat up your mags pretty good colt style steel mags take it well. Glock mag subguns do fine tho

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I already had a lot of Glock mags. I have had zero feeding issues with both a 8.3" Ballistic advantage barreled pistol and a 14" pinned and welded MBX barreled PCC.

I don't have any experience with other systems so I can't compare them.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I already had a lot of Glock mags. I have had zero feeding issues with both a 8.3" Ballistic advantage barreled pistol and a 14" pinned and welded MBX barreled PCC.

I don't have any experience with other systems so I can't compare them.

I've played with both and ive found dedicated subgun mags to be a hair better in basically every category. Especially with binary triggers. Another major benefit to colt mag ar's is the easy last round bolt hold open and mag release. I've seen some extremely nice glock mag ar's, but I wouldn't say they have any advantage. You can buy 2 32rd smg mags for 36 dollars, that is roughly the price of a single 30rd glock mag, and most people don't have 30rd glock mags so you'll end up buying them, 17 is just not enough lol.

I like anything that gets people into a pcc, just trying to answer the what's the difference question. A well tuned glock mag rifle will operate just fine, just generally more expensive and can be problematic when you go fast. Poorly tuned colt based will also be problematic, but simpler to fix.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I understand about magazine compatibilty and all that, but when I went looking at AR9's I found many more reviews outlining issues with feeding regarding the Glock pattern lowers.

I did not see the same complaints about the Colt pattern offerings, and since I don't own a Glock, I went with the dedicated 9mm Colt pattern lower.
    I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, but nary an issue, feeding, firing, or ejecting.

For me it was based on practicality. I already own 5 Glocks and have a mountain of mags of all sizes for them. I didn't need to buy any mags ahead of time....just had to replace the broken one.

Never had any feeding issues with this PSA build. Cheapo Glock copies or OEM Glock, 33rd stick or 10rd G26 mags, it seems to feed it all. Never had any failures to feed. The ONLY failures I had was once the ejector came out. Otherwise, it did and seems to be now running perfectly.

And I have not been using any high end ammo to get it running. I am just using up some Freedom Munitions reloads. They are not hot or super light loads. Maybe just a tiny bit hotter than Winchester White Box, but still pretty tame.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    How tall are you?? :laugh:

I used to be 6' 1.5" in my early 20's. But when I got measured at the doctor's office this year, I am now just plain old 6'. I guess that is what old age can do....getting old kinda stinks in some ways.

But knowing how to trip up them whipper snappers sure is fun!

Worddoer hollars behind him... Can someone bring me my prune juice!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I used to be 6' 1.5" in my early 20's. But when I got measured at the doctor's office this year, I am now just plain old 6'. I guess that is what old age can do....getting old kinda stinks in some ways.

But knowing how to trip up them whipper snappers sure is fun!

Worddoer hollars behind him... Can someone bring me my prune juice!

Carrying an M107 should be left to the young folks, BIG young folks.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen

If I were to go back and do it again, I would not have built on the Glock mag pattern. I built mine with mostly QC10 parts and have being having issues with it feeding. QC10 is sending me a new bolt so we'll see if that solves the problem, but I suspect I wouldn't have the same issue with Colt mags based on the angle of feed.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I find it interesting that so many are talking about feeding issues with their Glock pattern lowers.

Has New Frontier Armory found the secret recipe? Because mine feeds flawlessly from good and even crappy mags.

Could it be that PSA found a good combination of different manufactures parts that work better together than one manufacture by themselves?

I just noticed while cleaning after my last range session that the barrel on mine has a small feed ramp. My barrel looks very similar to this.....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-28-thread-1-in-10-twist-chrome-moly-melonite

So it's possible PSA might have selected some quality reliable parts and just assembled an AR9 that seems to work fairly decently. At least in this latest iteration, I guess prior to Gen 4 there were quite a few issues.

It would be a similar process to those who assemble their own high end AR.

So far, I am pleased. I used a rubber mallet and banged pretty good on that ejector while I was cleaning to make sure it didn't work loose again. Not even a hint of it budging this time. :D

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    So it's possible PSA might have selected some quality reliable parts and just assembled an AR9 that seems to work fairly decently. At least in this latest iteration, I guess prior to Gen 4 there were quite a few issues.

I bought a 16" PSA Glock version 3 years ago. Well over 1000 rds of various fmj and hollow points through it. Never a problem. Sold it and bought an 8" version 5 months ago. 700-800 rds so far with no problems.

Top Bottom