• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I didn't want to fill up the rimfire madness thread with tons of pictures in one post, so here is a brief overview of what's involved in upgrading from the flimsy factory polymer handguard on a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 rifle.

Tacticool22 came out with a handguard specific to the 15-22. Their adapter barrel nut has been out for years and while very popular, it does not allow a tight fit between many aftermarket AR handguards and the upper receiver and leaves an unsightly gap. They offer their handguard in various lengths of 10"/12.5"/15". I chose 10" to match the factory length handguard. Due to the POI shift I was encountering with the factory handguard when resting it at the end, I decided I didn't want to add length to the equation, further compounding the issue. However, after the install, the new handguard is very noticeably stiffer and I probably would be okay with a longer handguard.

https://www.tacticool22.com/

Here is what I purchased: handguard kit (includes barrel nut & hardware) and factory barrel nut tool

attachment.php

Picture of the upper disassembled. Note that the barrel slides out the back of the receiver.
    I already have non-marring jaws on my vise, so clamping the barrel was not a problem.

attachment.php

Upper has a metal bushing/sleeve installed where the barrel is inserted. I also took the liberty of finishing installing the two roll pins the rest of the way for Smith & Wesson while I had the barrel off (pic below only shows the one pin). They attach the barrel extension/feed ramp/ejector to the barrel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Comparison of the factory handguard and the Tacticool22 version. Both use the M-Lok design. The T22 version has a front QD swivel with anti-rotation at the 3:00/6:00/9:00 positions towards the muzzle end of the handguard, I personally prefer the other end, but I probably won't be using a sling on this rifle anyways as it's main use is benchrest using bags.

attachment.php

Comparison of nuts, of the barrel variety that is. Such a difference that it actually made me laugh a little when taking the pics. The larger barrel nut, the fact that the T22 handguard isn't "sammiched" in between the nut/receiver and that the T22 is aluminum instead of polymer all factor into the increased stiffness of the whole setup. Note: the factory barrel nut is steel, the T22 one is aluminum. That would bother me if it were an AR-15 in 5.56 where the torque values are higher, but not in this case.

attachment.php

attachment.php

New barrel nut on and torqued. The instructions say to call S&W for the torque spec, but then state it's around 20 ft/lbs. :dunno:

I lightly cleaned the edges around where my tool contacted the barrel nut with a small file before installing the handguard, to help aid in installation.

These are the vise jaw inserts I've used for a few years now, they work great by the way and held the barrel really well without damaging it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Vise-Jaws-Mu...ce+jaws&qid=1561874652&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1

attachment.php

New handguard installed, used blue Loctite on the 3 screws for peace of mind. I did struggle a little with the front screw that threads into a separate little nut that has a pin (kinda teardrop shaped), which ended up being resolved by tightening the other two screws first. Notice there is no gap between the handguard and receiver as promoted by Tacticool22 (I feel like there's a "mind the gap" joke for all you Chivers out there :):).

Rock solid feeling now, honestly it's pretty much as solid as my other AR's in 5.56. Looks good, feels good, life is good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I decided to repurpose the factory polymer M-Lok handguard and replaced the quad rail on my gen1 camo 15-22. It's pretty much gonna stay a red dot gun used for plinking and not groups anyways, so any shifts in POI shouldn't be too noticeable. Unless I run across a solid deal on a Volquartsen barrel, then things might change.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the write up. My daughter's pink tiger striped camo 15/22 is a lot of fun but is not very accurate. I'd like to do this mode but wonder if there's a way to modify the factory S&W quad rail to fit this new barrel nut. Open up the hand guard and re-tap the threads maybe? Any ideas?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thanks for the write up. My daughter's pink tiger striped camo 15/22 is a lot of fun but is not very accurate. I'd like to do this mode but wonder if there's a way to modify the factory S&W quad rail to fit this new barrel nut. Open up the hand guard and re-tap the threads maybe? Any ideas?
    They don't seem to sell the barrel nut for their handguard separate, but do have a conversion barrel nut that has standard AR upper receiver threads on the outside of it. As far as reusing the factory handguard in that fashion, that sounds like a lot of work and not sure if feasible.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the write up and pictures. Mine is mostly used with a red dot to beat up steel, but I have contemplated this for a while. My 15-22 is the quad rail variant.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I wish I could find a better price than $300 for the VQ barrel, I'd consider trying one if they were not so expensive.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Im waiting on my rail to arrive so I can get mine installed. Your post drove me over the edge.
    I'm glad to hear that. I kept reminding myself to take pictures during the work, just in case someone else was on the fence about doing the upgrade and wanted to see a step by step. It was much easier than I originally thought and the handguard fitment is very good. I'm chomping at the bit to find out if my groups improve. Range time is almost here, just a few more days.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Simon, what length handguard did you get?

I decided to go all out. I ordered the 15inch handguard. Should look really good with the suppressor and running the binary in it. If I like it, I may do the other one I have been letting the grandkids use but i am only gonna do the 12.5 if I do.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I decided to go all out. I ordered the 15inch handguard. Should look really good with the suppressor and running the binary in it. If I like it, I may do the other one I have been letting the grandkids use but i am only gonna do the 12.5 if I do.
    If you don't mind, can you post some pics when you get around to installing it?

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Well still nothing from Tacticool22. Placed an order last Sunday night still nothing saying it has been shipped. Called the company Wednesday to try and figuire out what happened. I was told " I sent your email inquiry to Shipping. They haven't responded yet?" I advised that no I had not heard anything. So they claim they tried to check. I was then told well maybe we are out of the barrel nut. It should maybe go out Monday. Hope that doesn't mess up any of your plans. All 3 rail sizes show in stock but they still haven't shipped one.

I was going to order for a second 15-22 but that won't be happening now. Not trying to bash a Veteran owned company but not very good business practice. Buyers Beware.

Well they finally contacted me. Promised that it will go out Monday, Apologized that the site says they are in stock when they are actually out of the barrel nuts. Not holding my breath but we will see.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Well still nothing from Tacticool22. Placed an order last Sunday night still nothing saying it has been shipped. Called the company Wednesday to try and figuire out what happened. I was told " I sent your email inquiry to Shipping. They haven't responded yet?" I advised that no I had not heard anything. So they claim they tried to check. I was then told well maybe we are out of the barrel nut. It should maybe go out Monday. Hope that doesn't mess up any of your plans. All 3 rail sizes show in stock but they still haven't shipped one.

I was going to order for a second 15-22 but that won't be happening now. Not trying to bash a Veteran owned company but not very good business practice. Buyers Beware.

Well they finally contacted me. Promised that it will go out Monday, Apologized that the site says they are in stock when they are actually out of the barrel nuts. Not holding my breath but we will see.
    Sorry to hear the frustrations. We're all human and make mistakes, some of us suck at customer service. However, the product is worth it. I posted some results from today's range trip. I attribute most of my accuracy improvement to the handguard.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-madness-infection-begins-35.html#post7967351

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    It is just annoying that it took 2 emails and a phone call for them to finally admit why they were not shipping and that their website was inaccurate. I am still excited about the product just upset with their customer service.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    It is just annoting that it took 2 emails and a phone call for them to finally admit why they were not shipping and that their website was inaccurate. I am still excited about the product just upset with their customer service.
    Completely understandable.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Well after 2 emails and a phone call the parts finally arrived Thursday. Got everything installed and ran it this morning. I like the rail, but can't decide if I want to do the other rifle I have. Here is a pic of the finished product.
    fBKdb3s.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Well after 2 emails and a phone call the parts finally arrived Thursday. Got everything installed and ran it this morning. I like the rail, but can't decide if I want to do the other rifle I have. Here is a pic of the finished product.
    fBKdb3s.jpg
    That looks really good. Glad you finally got it worked out. Also reminds me that I wanted to get some mlok covers.

Top Bottom