I bought my first AK-47, after wanting one for 34 years!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It was 1985 and I had just graduated from college and gotten my first "real" full-time job with a boss other than my father. I was looking through the classified ads in the newspaper and saw an AK-47 for sale. I was stunned, didn't even know people could own such a thing since I had grown up in a house without guns. I thought how awesome that would be, but the guy had already sold it and the whole thing was soon forgotten.

A few years later I shared a cubicle with a guy who had an FFL, a typical 10% dealer of the time period. I mentioned the AK-47, and for whatever reason he talked me into getting an SKS instead. I suppose he thought he was giving good advice to someone that had never owned a gun. It's not unusual for people to think a "newbie" should get something cheaper and simpler.

As the years passed, I ended up with several AR-15's, and even a Galil. I guess an AK just wasn't different enough from what I already had and it just never happened.

A couple of weeks ago I came across an auction listing that had a picture of what I instantly recognized as an AK from the pre-'94 import ban era. I researched it and found that the Hungarian made rifles have a solid reputation, many people say they are the highest quality build ever imported. I clearly don't have enough experience with AK's to know whether that is true or not, but it is certainly a nice rifle!

I ended up getting "auction fever" and spending more than I wanted to. My winning bid was $750, so $802 out the door with tax. However, it appears to be brand new, never fired! Also, in my defense, considering how long I waited for this it is perhaps somewhat understandable that I got excited.

I have to figure out what I am going to do next. I intended to purchase enough 922r compliant parts to allow me to replace the thumbhole stock with the classic AK buttstock and pistol grip. However, now that I have it in hand and can feel how remarkably good the trigger is for a military rifle, and how comfortable the stock is, I'm no longer sure what I want to do. Short term, I need to have a spending hiatus anyway, so I have time to think it over.

llnDomU.jpg

sC25xzH.jpg

X8G1Ae8.jpg

vCqDiJx.jpg

ELFPray.jpg

uXK0jl2.jpg

E1nc21g.jpg

JXIQKc4.jpg

Cv3j0mW.jpg

p2ZlhuH.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    SA-85M at that price really isn't too bad these days. They are among the better made variants and highly desired. Congrats on starting your AK-addiction.

Oh, and technically it is an AKM. :D :D :D :D

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    SA-85M at that price really isn't too bad these days. They are among the better made variants and highly desired. Congrats on starting your AK-addiction.

Oh, and technically it is an AKM. :D :D :D :D

LOL, yeah, I guess that's right. Now I just have to go get a clip for it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember the 80s, crates of Maadi AKMs, good rifle for the money. I spent way too much time trying to make com-bloc green tracer for these when they first came out, figured it would be a must have item to with the guns.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember the 80s, crates of Maadi AKMs, good rifle for the money. I spent way too much time trying to make com-bloc green tracer for these when they first came out, figured it would be a must have item to with the guns.
    That's the only AK I have - Maadi MISR. Clay straightened my front sight for me, and vitamink installed my adjustable Red Star trigger at an INGO AK build party a few years ago (it had horrible trigger slap before that). I added a rear Tech Sight peep sight, which made a huge difference in accuracy. Good solid rifle though.

jBOvbSK.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Nice find.

As I noted with the thumb hole stock on my MAK-90 there's probably a decent profile living there just waiting for a chop saw and power planer (and perhaps a glass or two of bourbon).

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Nice find.

As I noted with the thumb hole stock on my MAK-90 there's probably a decent profile living there just waiting for a chop saw and power planer (and perhaps a glass or two of bourbon).

I have honestly thought about trying to convert it to something more like a Dragunov stock, but I think I will leave it be. I have located someone that has US made beech stocks that match the Hungarian stocks and at a very reasonable price. I have been studying up on the 922r compliance stuff and I would be good to go with either a US made FCG or a US made magazine. I figure short term I'll just get a Magpul magazine and see how that works since that involves the least amount of modifications. I can always go the other route down the road if need be.

There is a place that has high quality FN/Galil type buttstocks that really tempt me, but they are a lot more expensive than the wood stock. I stole some photos off of the net and played with them in Photoshop to get a comparison of what it would look like either way. I think I like the wood better, and it is cheaper.

gMlBbqw.jpg

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have been studying up on the 922r compliance stuff.

922r should not be a concern as I understand it. You didn't convert the rifle from its original form for import. Nor did you build the rifle.

Did the rear have two tangs installed? That is a really nice rifle.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This is what the MAK ended up looking like...I like it.

MAK90 and power tools.jpg

But just buying another one and keeping the original is fine too. I wasn't too worried about resale as I never sell...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

Thanks, no, there is only one tang. It's kind of interesting how they installed the buttstock, instead of having a screw come up through the pistol grip, it goes down from inside the receiver. The downside for me is that I'm going to have buy all of the hardware to mount a pistol grip along with the grip itself.

I have been searching for all of the parts I am going to need and, naturally, I can't find anyone that has all of them. I really hate to have to buy one screw and then pay $8-10 shipping, but to have to do it 3 times because nobody has all of the different little parts will really be a nuisance if I can't find a single source.

edit: Right after I posted this I finally found a place that had everything I needed. I don't know why, but it seems like it is pretty common for me that I have to whine about something first before it finally works out. :)

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    922r should not be a concern as I understand it. You didn't convert the rifle from its original form for import. Nor did you build the rifle.

Yes and no, people all over the internet fret about 922R, there’s some discussion if it applies to individuals or not, no person has ever been charged for it, but importers/manufacturers have. An ATF agent did an AMA on reddit and said it doesn’t apply to individuals and to not worry about parts counts, and some other experts (MAC for example, have to add it “922R compliant of course, when converting pistols to SBRs etc)

another thing, 922R applies to “sporting” weapons, no need to 922r compliance your NFA builds. Yeesh

https://johnpierceesq.com/does-922r-apply-when-building-an-sbr-from-an-imported-pistol/

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Very nice looking AK. I was at the range this morning with my son and another shooter had unboxed a brand new AK he had just bought from Dunham’s. It was fun watching him “break in” his new gun. Now I want an AK!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I thought I would post an update. I ended up purchasing and installing a US made trigger group for 922r compliance. I also found a US made butt stock and pistol grip that are a very close match to the original Hungarian made parts. I did have to do quite a bit of filing and sanding to get the butt plate to fit and to get the butt stock to fit properly so that it seats on the rear trunnion instead of on the receiver sides, but the result is perfect.

I also took it to the range for the first time today. It ran flawlessly and I really enjoyed shooting it. The accuracy results were nothing to brag about, but I'm quite certain that was due to my poor eyes simply being unable to discern the rear sight as anything other than a blurry blob. I'm going to have to mount some sort of peep sight or optic to find out how accurate it actually is. I did find that I really enjoyed shooting it off-hand, it has just the right length and weight for me to able to hold it very steady, much better than I can hold an AR. I always found the same thing back when I had a Galil/Golani, I think I just like heavier rifles.

4cx1U7j.jpg

V42jvmm.jpg

Top Bottom