Anyone else with a PSA PA10 Gen2? I just got one.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got out with my PSA PA10 Gen 2 last night. I got the lower months ago on a silly good deal and recently got one of their uppers on a similar silly good deal. The lower seemed fine. The upper upon first glance seemed to have a sticky charging handle, and I thought it may be bent initially but couldn't see it with my naked eye. With the BCG removed, the charging handle worked as it should. With the BCG in there it got a little sticky and I just didn't really get why until last night.

I took (2) 25rd mags, a 20rd mag and a 10rd mag out back and just cranked them all off doing a half hearted zero as I went. I was more interested in the function of the gun. I had one firing where I really don't know what happened because a round cycled and chambered, but I didn't get to pull the trigger so I just cycled the exceptionally heavy charging handle and loaded another round going about my business. Once I was done I picked up the live round that had been ejected and the primer was never hit, so I chambered it and fired it off without issue.

Upon a brief inspection shortly after firing I saw the the top of the gas key and underside of the charging handle had been rubbing and really grinding into each other. This kind of thing is a complete no go and the upper will be on it's way back to PSA for some warranty work. I'll update as I find out more, but thought I'd check here first just to confirm there's not something silly that I'm missing before I go through all of that.

Thoughts?

Before the commando's chime in, this rifle was a budget play thing that may go deer hunting. I have no intention of this being a life or liberty rifle unless it really proves itself and convinces me otherwise.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The only things I've seen or heard really is that accuracy was decent, but they were overgassed and people installed adjustable gas blocks to deal with that. As far as your issue, I've not seen any buzz about it online anywhere, but admittedly haven't really been monitoring them in a few months.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was hoping they had the bugs worked out with it being the second generation. Apparently not. :(

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I was hoping they had the bugs worked out with it being the second generation. Apparently not. :(
    On the plus side, I've had to use their CS a few times and they've taken care of me. I know there's ALOT of PSA bashing and I usually don't voice my opinion, but I do think they listen to their customers and are actively trying to make good products. I've owned a lot of their products and have been satisfied overall. I look forward to hearing what you end up doing.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Same here.

On the plus side, I've had to use their CS a few times and they've taken care of me. I know there's ALOT of PSA bashing and I usually don't voice my opinion, but I do think they listen to their customers and are actively trying to make good products. I've owned a lot of their products and have been satisfied overall. I look forward to hearing what you end up doing.

So they've upped their CS game, that is good. Now they need to improve their production QC.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Same here.

So they've upped their CS game, that is good. Now they need to improve their production QC.
    While I agree, that can be said with other manufacturers as well and is not exclusive to PSA nor the firearms industry. I'm not defending or advocating PSA either, just giving my opinion based on my personal experiences.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have one in 6.5CM and it runs fine. Seems to shoot about 1 MOA with the Hornady American Gunner ammo. I haven't tried the more expensive 145 ELD match yet.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I have one in 6.5CM and it runs fine. Seems to shoot about 1 MOA with the Hornady American Gunner ammo. I haven't tried the more expensive 145 ELD match yet.

Same as HOP here. They had a smoking deal on a 6.5CM complete upper and PA65 lower a few weeks ago. Definitely over gassed. Have not tried to tune it yet. Don't really care for the 'milspec' charging handle and will probably change it.

As to the OP's question, definitely return it. I've heard their CS is pretty good. Post some pics if you haven't returned it yet. Would like to see what you're describing.

:ingo:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've put enough PSA guns together at the kitchen table that if the democrats new the number they'd try to ban my kitchen table. I've only seen a couple issues with PSA parts and kits and overall I'm very happy with how they handle in high round count abusive classes and treatment. I 100% agree that a rifle needs to be fully vetted while I never intended for this rifle to be a "bet my life on it" kind of rig, I do want it to function. I emailed PSA yesterday and will update when I have something to share.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Same as HOP here. They had a smoking deal on a 6.5CM complete upper and PA65 lower a few weeks ago. Definitely over gassed. Have not tried to tune it yet. Don't really care for the 'milspec' charging handle and will probably change it.

:ingo:

I'm really wanting to get into a LR 6.5CM rig of some sort. Not thrilled about adding another caliber to the reloading bench but I've heard the round is outstanding once tuned.

(Sorry, total highjack of the thread).

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I got out with my PSA PA10 Gen 2 last night. I got the lower months ago on a silly good deal and recently got one of their uppers on a similar silly good deal. The lower seemed fine. The upper upon first glance seemed to have a sticky charging handle, and I thought it may be bent initially but couldn't see it with my naked eye. With the BCG removed, the charging handle worked as it should. With the BCG in there it got a little sticky and I just didn't really get why until last night.

I took (2) 25rd mags, a 20rd mag and a 10rd mag out back and just cranked them all off doing a half hearted zero as I went. I was more interested in the function of the gun. I had one firing where I really don't know what happened because a round cycled and chambered, but I didn't get to pull the trigger so I just cycled the exceptionally heavy charging handle and loaded another round going about my business. Once I was done I picked up the live round that had been ejected and the primer was never hit, so I chambered it and fired it off without issue.

Upon a brief inspection shortly after firing I saw the the top of the gas key and underside of the charging handle had been rubbing and really grinding into each other. This kind of thing is a complete no go and the upper will be on it's way back to PSA for some warranty work. I'll update as I find out more, but thought I'd check here first just to confirm there's not something silly that I'm missing before I go through all of that.

Thoughts?

Before the commando's chime in, this rifle was a budget play thing that may go deer hunting. I have no intention of this being a life or liberty rifle unless it really proves itself and convinces me otherwise.
    Very easy fix that can be done in seconds

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure what generation I have, but a PA-10 was my first "AR" build and I've been really happy with it. I've since switched out the upper to a TNTE (Top Notch Top Ends) upper but it's been totally reliable. Didn't even have to adjust the scope when I moved it from the original upper to the new upper and it was right on the money. Had so much fun building it, that I went on to build 6 more ARs in 5.56.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    Not sure what generation I have, but a PA-10 was my first "AR" build and I've been really happy with it. I've since switched out the upper to a TNTE (Top Notch Top Ends) upper but it's been totally reliable. Didn't even have to adjust the scope when I moved it from the original upper to the new upper and it was right on the money. Had so much fun building it, that I went on to build 6 more ARs in 5.56.
    I like better than the Ruger SR762

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I'm really wanting to get into a LR 6.5CM rig of some sort. Not thrilled about adding another caliber to the reloading bench but I've heard the round is outstanding once tuned.

(Sorry, total highjack of the thread).

Thats what I was considering... I was interested/(wanted) to get into 6.5CM. Then the PSA deal popped up with decent reviews. Now its a new set of dies, probably a couple new powders, etc. And on it goes... (Thread jack continued, sorry)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    **Update**

I received my upper back from PSA. Everything seemed to be in good working order until I took it outside. I had (2) 25rd mags, (1) 20rd mag, and (1) 10rd mag just like before. When I went outside with the 80 rounds the BCG was cycling smoothly. On my first outting with the rifle I didn't do anything special for lube. This time I had a fine layer of red bearing grease all over the moving parts. Everything felt smooth and slick after some grease.

The mags are all magpul, and none of them drop free when empty. I had one failure of the BCG to go into full battery, and by the time I was done with the 80 rounds the charging handle and BCG seem to be doing that same grinding again like things are locking up. Honestly, I'm really disappointed in the rig at this point, and I can't recommend it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm in the Fort Wayne area or I'd take you up on that. I had high hopes, but at the same time I realize 308 AR's have generally been plagued with issues without being standardized across the board. I didn't expect to be able to bet my life on a sub $625 rifle. I think it'd work for a deer gun, but hopefully that's something that doesn't require repeat shots.

Top Bottom