• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    I got an email from Rural King, they have a Ruger American .308 for $269.00. I have no idea if this is a good deal, or a good rifle, but thought I would pass it along.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I’ve looked at them, I like them, it’s a Ruger, that’s enough for me, I want a left hand one in 7.62x39, but they don’t make them in leftie. Sounds like a good deal at RK, I’d buy if I had the money. Go for it!

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    If I thought I was gonna take up hunting again, I would. But if/when I get a rifle, it will be a range gun. I know me, if I got the American, I would end up buying a different stock, etc. I might as well save my pennies up and get something like that to start with.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    That is a good deal. I have had a few for hunting and they are 1 moa at 100 yards with the right ammo. Mine always liked Winchester Power Points which was a plus since they are cheap and work on deer. You would normally be looking at this gun everywhere else for 329-379.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I got an email from Rural King, they have a Ruger American .308 for $269.00. I have no idea if this is a good deal, or a good rifle, but thought I would pass it along.

Thanks for the post. My brother has been wanting to upgrade his single shot 44mag Rossi for some time. I told him about this. He ordered it, and picked it up at RK yesterday.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Cool, I am glad it helped someone. I have not hunted since 2001, so I had no real desire for one. I have been thinking about a 308 or creedmoor for longer range use though.

joemich1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    A buddy of mine has an American in 308. He really enjoys shooting it. Sees pretty accurate too. I believe its Rugers version of a sub 500 dollar gun to keep up with competition.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Great rifle, not too heavy, and accurate with the right loads.
    Here's mine at 100 yards, 4 shots:
    attachment.php

omegahunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2019
    Daviess County
    American's are great guns for a low price. $270 is a great deal. Its comparable to a savage axis but i believe the american is superior.

Superior in appearance and bolt throw angle. More than likely the accuracy between Ruger American and Savage Axis is very similar.

I have an American in .308 Win and an American Predator in 6.5 CM. I certainly do like their light weight. Both are astoundingly accurate with the loads I have developed for them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I watched this and now I want to put it to INGO American rifle owners. Does he have legitimate gripes? Do you agree with this guy? Partially, somewhat, not at all?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My American in 22-250 was a very disappointing out of the box. The stock was very unimpressed and the magazine would not seat properly. Then there was the rifles wondering zero & point of impact. As the rifle barrel warmed up shots would move to the right......at 200 yards 28 inches by shot number 10. After a trip back to Ruger, I was told the accuracy was with in the limits.
    An aftermarket stock (trying to bed those darn V blocks) & a rebarrel, in fact it shoots well enough I use it for "any/any " mid range matches (any sight any rifle)

Engineering at a price point, built at a price point, accuracy at that lower end price point......no more Ruger for me ever.

Aaron

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My American in 22-250 was a very disappointing out of the box. The stock was very unimpressed and the magazine would not seat properly. Then there was the rifles wondering zero & point of impact. As the rifle barrel warmed up shots would move to the right......at 200 yards 28 inches by shot number 10. After a trip back to Ruger, I was told the accuracy was with in the limits.
    An aftermarket stock (trying to bed those darn V blocks) & a rebarrel, in fact it shoots well enough I use it for "any/any " mid range matches (any sight any rifle)

Engineering at a price point, built at a price point, accuracy at that lower end price point......no more Ruger for me ever.

Aaron
    I don't own a Ruger American but have handled a couple and from everything I can determine just by handling, I'd have to agree with your description. However, this is a price point gun, it may well be the worst price point gun, but you know going in that the you are going to have settle for less amenities/features to reach that price point. IMO, it makes little sense to me to swear off all Rugers forever simply because their price point gun performs like it should be expected to. The American line has absolutely nothing to do with Ruger's other lines and is not indicative of its other products, especially their Hawkeye line of bolt actions.

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    Purchased a Ruger American 30.06 just over a decade ago.

Haven't replaced any parts or had any issues.

Many rounds through it.

Dug through the file and I paid $289 (shipping and FFL included)

My how times have changed

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I don't own a Ruger American but have handled a couple and from everything I can determine just by handling, I'd have to agree with your description. However, this is a price point gun, it may well be the worst price point gun, but you know going in that the you are going to have settle for less amenities/features to reach that price point. IMO, it makes little sense to me to swear off all Rugers forever simply because their price point gun performs like it should be expected to. The American line has absolutely nothing to do with Ruger's other lines and is not indicative of its other products, especially their Hawkeye line of bolt actions.
    I really can't be to mad......my wife bought it for me, as a display model that shown some minor wear.....at a deap discount......so hey, I got a decent action to build from.....and as I have never bought a factory assembled high power (I build my own) I felt I should shoot it.....

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I finally got a chance to try out my American in 300 blackout the other day and I am more than happy with it. I had to swap out the pmag that came with it for some Lancer mags in order to reliably feed the big subsonics but no issues other than that. I may add a cheek riser at some point but for now, I am super pleased with the performance of the rifle for the price.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I finally got a chance to try out my American in 300 blackout the other day and I am more than happy with it. I had to swap out the pmag that came with it for some Lancer mags in order to reliably feed the big subsonics but no issues other than that. I may add a cheek riser at some point but for now, I am super pleased with the performance of the rifle for the price.
    Good to know. I literally got the idea to purchase a 300bo for my new can, about an hour ago. I got a nice leopald vx-r laying around needing a home... I might make the jump this weekend. Let's see good long this "I need it" feeling lasts. It usually doesn't last long enough to save up for the gun, but >$350...I can manage that

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Good to know. I literally got the idea to purchase a 300bo for my new can, about an hour ago. I got a nice leopald vx-r laying around needing a home... I might make the jump this weekend. Let's see good long this "I need it" feeling lasts. It usually doesn't last long enough to save up for the gun, but >$350...I can manage that

I started with 300 blackout on AR pattern rifles. The American is a lot quieter and more fun (SiCo 36m). I put a 1-8 LPVO on mine.

Top Bottom