• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I don't do too much .223/.556 shooting but I did purchase a Colt LE6920 Magpul edition 5 years just to have one. It is really accurate with the flip up magpul sights so in the safe it has sat aside from a few practice sessions each year. I had the opportunity to handle a couple of Daniel Defense rifles the other day. One was a short 10 inch barrel that the guy referred to as a pistol model. The other was a nice 16-18 inch barrel. The cage around the barrel was super thin aluminum.

Are Daniel Defense top quality? The price on the bigger rifle I believe was 1,600.00 so I was wonder if they are considered a step up from even a colt.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    THE top? Arguably no, but solid choice without a doubt.

I am Colt fan but I really like the DD M4A1.

We are awash in solid AR choices, like plastic striker fired pistols. Throw LMT, Colt, BCM, DD, and several others I am skipping, into a pillow case and draw one out, you'll be fine.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    AR’s are like Barbie dolls you can dress them up any way you want but in the end they are still Barbie dolls.

A majority of people I associate with in person on INGO probably fire 3,000+ rounds of 5.56 in training a year. Typically a higher end AR and equipment is needed to withstand that amount of use in a year. I have witnessed just about all the major brands and homebuilts in the classes I have attended. IMO most of the AR’s built today are fine for the causal shooter and will last a lifetime, if they didn’t work they would not sell in today’s market.

I look at it from more a a price angle than brand war.

$399-$800 Budget/Entry Level - Fine for 90% of AR owners who will not likely fire 5,000 rounds in a lifetime. Budget AR’s might not be “Mil Spec” or have the best barrels and will probably not last in high round count environment as well as a higher end AR.

$800-$1,400 Mid Level - This is a price range where better fit and finish is expected and “Mil Spec” or better parts start to come into play. In addition for factory rifles often have lifetime or long term warranties. This level of AR should be able to take a beating long, strings of fire without huge bullet drift, capability to fire a 1,000 rounds a day with minimal maintenance and good reliability.

$1,400-$2000 Upper Level - Fit and finish should be outstanding accuracy at this level should be a notch above you typical AR. Reliability shouldn’t be a question at this price point also customer service needs to be on point if a issue comes up.

$2000 + TOP Dog - This rifle should be superior to all the lower class AR’s in every facet!
    When uncased at the range it should draw gasps of those around it and possibly have its own theme song!

Colt vs DD hard to make a bad choice between the two the DD probably looks a little more modern might be slightly more accurate and a tad bit smoother the trigger would be better.
    IMO not enough to make much difference in most shooters hands.

Why don’t you come down and train at Bedford in October you could run that Colt though the paces and see how it does against DD rifles I am sure a few DD rifles will be in attendance.

https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2019-oct-12-13-bedford-in/

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    DD makes a better of the shelf ar than colt. Colt you get a service barrel, barely mil spec parts kit, half milled lower(semi auto only, doesn't matter but...), and some 3rd party furniture. DD is good across the board and generally you get more for your money. They make solid handguards, great sights, good furniture, crisp breaking factory triggers, positive feeling detents on the safety and takedown pins.

All that being said, anyone buying a new ar should be buying a son's of liberty gun works ar. I wish I would have known about them a long time ago.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    DD makes a better of the shelf ar than colt. Colt you get a service barrel, barely mil spec parts kit, half milled lower(semi auto only, doesn't matter but...), and some 3rd party furniture. DD is good across the board and generally you get more for your money. They make solid handguards, great sights, good furniture, crisp breaking factory triggers, positive feeling detents on the safety and takedown pins.

All that being said, anyone buying a new ar should be buying a son's of liberty gun works ar. I wish I would have known about them a long time ago.
    This is true

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Waste of $$$....

PSA is just as good for 1/4 the price. An AR is an AR.

Threads born after this thought...
    I'm wondering why my trigger won't reset?
    My drop in geissele trigger won't work?
    Why is my bolt not locking back?
    Why won't the 2nd round chamber?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Waste of $$$....

PSA is just as good for 1/4 the price. An AR is an AR.

B.S.!!!!!! I will put my Rock River Arms National Match (with irons on it) up against any PSA (or other budget) AR's shall we shoot ATC and winner gets the others rifle?

DD is a good name in MSR .....but please look at Rock River Arms....

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    B.S.!!!!!! I will put my Rock River Arms National Match (with irons on it) up against any PSA (or other budget) AR's shall we shoot ATC and winner gets the others rifle?

DD is a good name in MSR .....but please look at Rock River Arms....

Maybe 5 years ago. They still make an acceptable rifle, but new to new you're getting a lot less for your money. Used I like RRA they made some solid rifles, New there are better options.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I don't do too much .223/.556 shooting but I did purchase a Colt LE6920 Magpul edition 5 years just to have one. It is really accurate with the flip up magpul sights so in the safe it has sat aside from a few practice sessions each year. I had the opportunity to handle a couple of Daniel Defense rifles the other day. One was a short 10 inch barrel that the guy referred to as a pistol model. The other was a nice 16-18 inch barrel. The cage around the barrel was super thin aluminum.

Are Daniel Defense top quality? The price on the bigger rifle I believe was 1,600.00 so I was wonder if they are considered a step up from even a colt.

Windham, Bushmaster for production.ZRTS, Rock River JP for higher end.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Is there anything you do not like about your LE6920? Just curious if you are looking to add or replace it because you do not like it.

I knew a few guys that bragged about their PSA costs, which was much less than my LE6920, but they eventually had a few problems. The topic does not come up any more.

MY Colt is all I know. I'm happy.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    ....but please look at Rock River Arms....

Screw Rock River Arms! They (along with Springfield Armory) tried to screw over Illinois gun owners and businesses by back-door supporting gun control and crooked politicians.

I like my Daniel Defense a lot, but when i bought it new, i didnt pay anywhere near what they were selling for, thanks to a discount program DD provides to some gunshop employees.

I probably wouldn't have bought it if i had to pay what everyone else pays.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Windham, Bushmaster for production.ZRTS, Rock River JP for higher end.

Outside of these I see a lot off brands that can’t make it thru a match or a training exercise...just saying .

Value is is a personal thing to many but I need mine to work all the time. Everytime. And for us high round count folks nothing but chrome lined.

Top Bottom