Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

.17 HMR is it your favorite cartridge too? What's your best rifle & ammo?

I've been shooting a long time, I like it all, but I love .17HMR. I don't shoot past 200 yards much and prefer to keep the .17 between 100 & 150 yards at the range. I've had great success with CZ, Savage, Marlin & Ruger Rifles, no surprise I'm sure, and buy CCI ammo mostly. What have you all had good luck with and what are your thoughts on .17HMR?
    What's the matter Col. Sanders? Chicken?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Have a .17 HMR in a Marlin Stainless Heavy Barrel. Can consistently hit pennies at 100 yards.

User Info Menu

My wife enjoyed the Ruger American Target we had. Nice rifle and it shot well. Ultimately, she ended up using it less and less once I finished her 10/22. The 10/22 is more accurate to 100, beyond that she has a 204 Ruger. The 17 was kinda stuck in the middle for us, overlapping too much on both sides.

It is an awesome round for someone with right need though. Flat and light recoil, a great learning round for pushing distances out. Great varmint round too!
    “...I blame Turbo” -Everyone

User Info Menu

Longshot, what model and barrel length is your Marlin? I had a really nice accurate Marlin XT-17VSL but sold it a while ago, I'm thinking another one is in order.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Not a fan, it's expensive, loud, too powerful for small game, and under powered for larger critters. Give me the plain old .22 long rifle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
    It is an awesome round for someone with right need though. Flat and light recoil, a great learning round for pushing distances out. Great varmint round too!
    Totally agree, lots of sound for that "big rifle" feel and very little recoil for beginners, devastating results through the scope.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Threetoes View Post
    Not a fan, it's expensive, loud, too powerful for small game, and under powered for larger critters. Give me the plain old .22 long rifle.
    I totally enjoy .22 as well, I just have more fun shooting .17, the fun factor outweighs the expense for me.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have the 917VS. It is older but shoots really well. I use the Federal V Shok with the 17gr Hornady bullet

User Info Menu

I have a Ruger 77/17. Great round and great rifle. I have glass on top and it is dialed in.
    " YOU SERIOUS CLARK ? "

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

The 17 is a decent all around (limits of course) round. I have had 2 Taurus Trackers with 6" barrels that were dead on accurate. A friend took one Deer hunting for years. He dropped several Yotes with it from the tree stand. It had zero trouble dropping them with 1 shot.

From his knowledge base the .17 is a poacher round much used and loved by that crowd. I have no direct knowledge as to this but he is an avid hunter with several hundred acres groomed for this. All of his family are avid hunters. They like the round as well.

I sold the 2 rifles and pistols a few years back.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast