• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I have always been a AR guy. I have trained with from 18 years old in the Army and continued to train with an AR style rifle. I am thinking of going to a Tavor X95 and get the caliber conversions for 300 blk and 9 mm. Looking for some input from all. I have considered conversion for the AR but have heard all the bad stories of 9mm not working.
    any info will be appreciated
    thanks
    100x

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    With all that street time on an AR I wouldnt ever budge off of one for the next best wizbang thing on the market. I played with the 300blk a bit and wasn't impressed. Unless you already own supressors and are into that sort of thing hold off. The AR 9 has been out a long time with a slew of manufactures making parts. Its next on my want list. Stuff keeps getting better and cheaper.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have shot the AR for 33 years since I was 17 don’t think I would react in a stressful situation well with anything other than a AR.
    Once a platform is ingrained long term it’s just kinda in your mind IMO buy a train with a AR count on a AR and buy a Travor as a toy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1858081_2.jpg

When it comes to guns, the subjective is objective.

All platforms have pros and cons.

Let's review:

AR Pros:

►Cost, Colt M6920 (as 1 example) is less than half cost of bullpups
    ►Ergos, you went a long time loading out in front of you and are ingrained with the controls of the platform.
    ►Leftism, shoot AR without braining self if you are shooting off hand or you are of the Devil and left-handed
    ►Sustainment, (like that? I did that for you, Big Army) I can get AR-15 magazines in boxes of cereal. My mother is selling AR parts in her sewing room (not a metaphor, it's the westside of Indy so everyone has a gun)
    ►Trigger, oh, come on, shooting is about sights and triggers, easy to get a NICE AR trigger; bullpups? not so much
    ►Lack of Coolness, everyone has one, how boring is that? How will chicks dig you and how will everyone at the range look at you?

Bullpup Pros:

►Compact, I think it is oversold, but each to his own, can get longer barrel in tighter packages
    ►Balance, usually balances well with one hand
    ►X95/AUG have great modularity and mil-tuff parts
    ►You look awesome at the range. Bullpup, mirrored shades and a big thick gold chain . . . yeah, baby!

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Thanks all,
    l am going to stick with the AR platform. Any suggestions on which 9mm conversion that is well function on Colt mags and function well. I know CMMG is probably the best but can’t afford it right now. Anyone have an option that works well?
    Thanks
    100X

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Nooo! Go X95! That compactness is not overrated, balance is perfect, not a mile long with a can, great rails and sights, easy to work on, great trigger (as good as most ARs).

Or try an RDB. Complete ambidexterity, plus all the X95 advantages.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks all,
    l am going to stick with the AR platform. Any suggestions on which 9mm conversion that is well function on Colt mags and function well. I know CMMG is probably the best but can’t afford it right now. Anyone have an option that works well?
    Thanks
    100X

I just bought one of these and they rock. Have heard complaints that out of spec lowers dont like them. It came VERY highly recommended by another INGOer.

https://maconarmory.com/products/9mm-colt-pattern-magazine-well-adapter

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    We tested the 300 Blackout in the early 90's. It used to be called the 300 Whisper. I still have 3 or 4 weapons chambered in that round. There have been so many improvements and manufacturers of the ammo, It has become much more consistent. We used to cut down LC brass because it had a thicker web.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have always been a AR guy. I have trained with from 18 years old in the Army and continued to train with an AR style rifle. I am thinking of going to a Tavor X95 and get the caliber conversions for 300 blk and 9 mm. Looking for some input from all. I have considered conversion for the AR but have heard all the bad stories of 9mm not working.
    any info will be appreciated
    thanks
    100x

I have a Tavor SAR in 5.56. I also have an AR pistol in .300 BLK. Some food for thought:

1. I love the compactness or my SAR; I get a 16" barrel in a weapon that is almost as short as my AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel.
    2. I originally looked into getting a .300 BLK conversion kit for the SAR about two years ago but it clocks in ~$800. That is damn expensive for a barrel and a couple of other parts. You can build a complete AR for less!
    3. Changing barrels on a Tavor is a PITA. You have to undo a lot of parts to get it out.
    4. Changing uppers (read as: calibers) on an AR is a piece of cake.

While I can certainly afford to get the conversion kit, I would never spend money on that. I would just buy another complete Tavor in .300BLK.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Cameramonkey,
    I looked at the website for the mag adapter. How does it install and how do you eject the mags? The website didn’t give much info.
    Thanks
    100x

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As STFU mentioned, don't consider the Tavor caliber conversions to be readily swappable like uppers on an AR... more of a disassemble-the-gun project after which you have to re-zero the sights. Being familiar with the AR, you can probably strip it to components and reassemble it faster than you can change calibers in the Tavor. And at ~$800, hard to justify when a whole gun's in the 1300-1500 range.

I have an X95 and RFB and while I like the compactness, unless you like unique or plan on room-clearing and want the maneuverability, I wouldn't worry about it.

X95 trigger's awful compared to even a $30 parts kit mil-spec AR trigger. It works but it's 4x longer, mushier, no clear wall, at least as heavy. you can make it better but that's another $400+.

as for 9mm ARs not working... there are plenty that work fine. gotta put it together with matching parts rather than tossing who knows what together. You can assemble an unreliable 5.56 AR out of parts too but that doesn't make ones that work less reliable. The question you need to ask is: What 9mm ARs are most reliable (and which to steer clear of)?

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    X95 trigger's awful compared to even a $30 parts kit mil-spec AR trigger. It works but it's 4x longer, mushier, no clear wall, at least as heavy. you can make it better but that's another $400+.

Exactly. In fact, the first time I took the barrel off of my SAR was to change out the stock trigger bow for a Geissele Lightning Bow.

I was lucky and found the Geissele trigger pack and Lightning Bow on sale for just under $300 (plus shipping).

Top Bottom