Join INGunOwners For Free
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Galil Folding Stock Issues

I have a Galil I bought that was built on an IMI parts kit. The folding stock seems to be stuck in the open position. Does anybody have experience with Galil folding stocks and knows why it would be stubborn and not folding? It's not a huge deal but it is an annoyance.

User Info Menu

I had one, they are pretty simple mechanically and they supposedly tighten up with age and use. I would guess that if it hasn't been folded for a while some dried grease or something would make it stubborn. Do you have a rubber mallet you can whack it with? I'm serious, that's what I would do.
    INGO - too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I'll have to give that a try. I've looked on different forums and I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. Where would you recommend reapplying some grease?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by way2good4u95 View Post
    I'll have to give that a try. I've looked on different forums and I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. Where would you recommend reapplying some grease?
    I never greased the folding stock at all, always worked fine.
    INGO - too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

User Info Menu

The Galileo style can be pretty stiff.
    If I remember correctly you push down and it will swing. Maybe there's some harden cosmoline buildup near the hook. Smack it with a heavy book or rubber mallet. Maybe spray some lcp in there to help

User Info Menu

Maybe try to clean the area with solvent then use some gun oil and see if you are able to get it to move.
    In my experience, a lot of "stuck" parts just need cleaned and lubed.
    Test for Echo

User Info Menu

I've played with a lot of folders since the 80s. In that time I did come across 3 that were drilled and pinned open. Typical transitional crap that happened in the late 80s thru the 90s because folders make guns evil....er.
    2 were in Galils and 1 was in a SPAS 15 shotgun. 2 looked obvious but one was ground flush then painted over. Still I was able to punch them all out.

Not saying that this problem is a pin but it wouldn't hurt to check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Duck View Post
    I've played with a lot of folders since the 80s. In that time I did come across 3 that were drilled and pinned open. Typical transitional crap that happened in the late 80s thru the 90s because folders make guns evil....er.
    2 were in Galils and 1 was in a SPAS 15 shotgun. 2 looked obvious but one was ground flush then painted over. Still I was able to punch them all out.

Not saying that this problem is a pin but it wouldn't hurt to check.
    Good call, I had forgotten about those.

Test for Echo