• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    I have a Galil I bought that was built on an IMI parts kit. The folding stock seems to be stuck in the open position. Does anybody have experience with Galil folding stocks and knows why it would be stubborn and not folding? It's not a huge deal but it is an annoyance.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I had one, they are pretty simple mechanically and they supposedly tighten up with age and use. I would guess that if it hasn't been folded for a while some dried grease or something would make it stubborn. Do you have a rubber mallet you can whack it with? I'm serious, that's what I would do.

way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    I'll have to give that a try. I've looked on different forums and I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. Where would you recommend reapplying some grease?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'll have to give that a try. I've looked on different forums and I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. Where would you recommend reapplying some grease?

I never greased the folding stock at all, always worked fine.

240sx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Fishers
    The Galileo style can be pretty stiff.
    If I remember correctly you push down and it will swing. Maybe there's some harden cosmoline buildup near the hook. Smack it with a heavy book or rubber mallet. Maybe spray some lcp in there to help

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Maybe try to clean the area with solvent then use some gun oil and see if you are able to get it to move.
    In my experience, a lot of "stuck" parts just need cleaned and lubed.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've played with a lot of folders since the 80s. In that time I did come across 3 that were drilled and pinned open. Typical transitional crap that happened in the late 80s thru the 90s because folders make guns evil....er.
    2 were in Galils and 1 was in a SPAS 15 shotgun. 2 looked obvious but one was ground flush then painted over. Still I was able to punch them all out.

Not saying that this problem is a pin but it wouldn't hurt to check.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've played with a lot of folders since the 80s. In that time I did come across 3 that were drilled and pinned open. Typical transitional crap that happened in the late 80s thru the 90s because folders make guns evil....er.
    2 were in Galils and 1 was in a SPAS 15 shotgun. 2 looked obvious but one was ground flush then painted over. Still I was able to punch them all out.

Not saying that this problem is a pin but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Good call, I had forgotten about those.

Top Bottom