• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    DoD contracts with PROOF Research to provide carbon fiber barrels in .300 PRC for the purported new long-range MRAD rifle for Little Army (and may bleed into Big).

barret_mrad-660x218.jpeg

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...earch-carbon-fiber-barrels-for-300-prc-mrads/

Proof Research: https://proofresearch.com/

SOCOM's Sniper Trials: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...rifle-that-can-fire-three-different-calibers/

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    There was a fellow on Leopard Street in Corpus Christi making carbon fiber barrels for the .50 sniper rifles with integral supressors. He took some to the special forces guys (Ft. Polk?) to try out. When they found out that they could fire a few rounds and right away grab it by the cool barrel to scoot, they liked that a lot. Think he was murdered when his store was robbed a few years ago. Any how, carbon fiber has some great material properties for military applications. Surely more to come.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll be interested how this is done, carbon fiber composites are usually used with epoxy resins. Curious to see how they stand the heat and what that does to the stiffness of the composite. I'm assuming this involves thinning out the actual metal in the rifle barrel.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    There was a fellow on Leopard Street in Corpus Christi making carbon fiber barrels for the .50 sniper rifles with integral supressors. He took some to the special forces guys (Ft. Polk?) to try out. When they found out that they could fire a few rounds and right away grab it by the cool barrel to scoot, they liked that a lot. Think he was murdered when his store was robbed a few years ago. Any how, carbon fiber has some great material properties for military applications. Surely more to come.

Jeez. This story took an unexpected turn for the worse.

Anyways, I have a proof barrel on a bolt action rifle that I love so it's cool to see them having continued success.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'll be interested how this is done, carbon fiber composites are usually used with epoxy resins. Curious to see how they stand the heat and what that does to the stiffness of the composite. I'm assuming this involves thinning out the actual metal in the rifle barrel.

It does. Usually it means they turn down the barrel OD and restore the stiffness with the carbon outer sleeve.

There are higher temp grades of epoxy that can allow carbon to be pretty heat resistant.

H

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I handked a couple of rifles at Blythe's a couple of years ago, bolt action with CF barrels. They were sweet! perfectly balanced and not too pricey at $2,500.

Top Bottom