• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    AIM recently had "X-grade" (beater) Chinese SKS rifles for $299, so I went ahead and ordered one. I used to have a Yugo 59/66 but sold it. It was bigger and heavier than the Chinese. I liked it okay, but probably sold it to fund something else.

The beater arrived Wednesday and man, was it soaked in cosmoline. It's been a long time since I've bought a gun in cosmoline, and I usually just go straight to the brake cleaner for the metal, heat gun and Murphy's Oil Soap for the stock, but this has way more on it than guns I've gotten in the past, so I decided to take advantage of this heat wave and wrapped it in paper towels, put it in a black plastic trash bag and have it sitting out on my flagstone patio in the sun.

I've always wanted to try this (but as I said, most of the guns I've bought didn't have nearly this much cosmo on them). I'll get down to my usual cleaning methods eventually, but I thought I'd try letting Mother Nature do the heavy lifting. I'm interested to see how well it works. I'll post pics once it's all cleaned up, but I did notice it has some "graffiti" carved in the stock, so it's got character to it for sure. I've got a TS200 Tech Sight that I'll be installing once it's cleaned up too. Had one on my Yugo and have one on my AK and it makes a world of difference in being able to shoot it accurately.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Sounds like a fun project and look forward to your pictures. Any unique old carvings or markings in the stock? I also like the lighter weight of the Chinese SKS over the Yugos...too front heavy. Hope it runs great once you get all the gunk out.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Sunny porch in the summer, behind the wood stove in the winter. I guess we shouldn't buy surplus in the spring or fall.

Good luck and I think I can smell it from here...

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I've read about doing this before. Can't wait to see the results. This weather is perfect for it. Another variation was to place the bag on your vehicle dash. Bet those rags will be dripping with cosmo soon.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mineral spirits. Dissolves the cosmoline, as well as old grease and oil residue. Doesn't harm the finish on metal or wood.

I generally use non-chlorinated brake cleaner on the metal parts, and a heat gun and Murphy's Oil Soap on the wood, then I'll put a few coats of BLO on the wood.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds like a fun project and look forward to your pictures. Any unique old carvings or markings in the stock? I also like the lighter weight of the Chinese SKS over the Yugos...too front heavy. Hope it runs great once you get all the gunk out.

Nothing fancy as far as the carvings. Looked like some words that I didn't recognize (maybe a name?), but I haven't even looked at it all that closely. It was like picking up something coated in axle grease, so I didn't handle it too much before today. I don't remember seeing any chinese characters or anything like that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do want to make sure and take the bolt apart. I've heard they can go full auto if the firing pin channel gets gunk in it because of the floating firing pin. I may even get one of the replacement pins with a spring to prevent it altogether.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    was it soaked in cosmoline. It's been a long time since I've bought a gun in cosmoline....and I usually just go straight to the brake cleaner for the metal, heat gun and Murphy's Oil Soap for the stock, but this has way more on it than guns I've gotten in the past, so I decided to take advantage of this heat wave and wrapped it in paper towels, put it in a black plastic trash bag and have it sitting out on my flagstone patio in the sun.

I've always wanted to try this (but as I said, most of the guns I've bought didn't have nearly this much cosmo on them)..

... Oh wow talk dirty to me..... hmmmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTyxxJbnj2M

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Coming along... it'll get another good baking tomorrow before I tear it down and do the deep cleaning. Told y'all it was a beater! :): Stock appears to be sound though.

4FzFo9X.jpg

Ab8hJvO.jpg

RnwVktc.jpg

fMk841t.jpg

3nlGkZ4.jpg

nA3oXb1.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Hell the stock looks better then some of the Beaver stocks that were out there a few years ago..

Oh Man do not clean it manually.. take the stock off and place the metal back in the car for another shot tomorrow... This time put the gun in the dashboard..
    come on.. I am living my dream vicariously through you here....

images

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    That is a cool rifle for sure.. I'd much rather have that than a new unissued sks. looks to be matching as well, very nice.
    I wonder how long it will be before these show up as vietnam bring backs, after hiding the import markings.. lol

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is a cool rifle for sure.. I'd much rather have that than a new unissued sks. looks to be matching as well, very nice.
    I wonder how long it will be before these show up as vietnam bring backs, after hiding the import markings.. lol

I haven't even checked the bore yet. I'm hoping it's decent once I clean it up. I've seen Chinese Mosins that were beat to hell on the outside, but had great bores, so I've got my fingers crossed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hell the stock looks better then some of the Beaver stocks that were out there a few years ago..

Oh Man do not clean it manually.. take the stock off and place the metal back in the car for another shot tomorrow... This time put the gun in the dashboard..
    come on.. I am living my dream vicariously through you here....

images

You know, that's probably a good idea to take it out of the stock tomorrow and do them separately.

df5bed1d5d20a70fd2c5af14e32181ae8db5724390d39e9e850c0b836f601875.jpg

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Very nice! Wish I had jumped on that deal. Sending positive vibes that the bore and action are sound.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very nice! Wish I had jumped on that deal. Sending positive vibes that the bore and action are sound.

Action seems good so far. Still need to take the bolt apart and clean it really well.
    I like it. Charisma, character, and real deal military type patina.
    Grease em down, throw em in a pile, and in 30 years export them to the U.S.

I suspect you're spot on with that Harry!

Top Bottom