Ruger Precision Rifle in 5.56 or 6.5 Creedmoor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay so I just took out my Precision 22 for the first time today and was really blown away how awesome it was. Anyhow long story short I do not shoot often, maybe a handful of times a year, but I like to buy stuff like I 3 gun every weekend. Anyway I would be shooting 100 to 200 yards max. I have both a 5.56 can and 30cal can so the real advantage would be that I already have mags and ammo for the 5.56 but should I just opt for the 6.5 or even the 308? I would be trying to shoot tight groups with this set up at those distances. It looks like there are a handful of 5.56 rifles available but I can't seem to find it on Rugers website so I wonder if they stopped making that version?

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    There are a dozen new on gun broker but I don't think they are currently being made. I am pretty sure I am leaning toward the 308 or 6.5. Not sure I agree withe the $1,500 thing though. Hell my DD rifle was more then that and it shoots the same round. I get where you are coming from though, I do not think that round was made to be shot out of a bolt action for MOA shooting. I am sure it would work just fine for what I am doing but..... well you might have talked me out of it. Street value seems to be around a grand.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'd go with the 6.5 cm. It terms of the accuracy the Ruger gun offers you'd need to push it to ranges the 5.56 isn't designed for to see the difference. The 6.5 is a 1,000 yd or beyond cartridge. The 5.56 is 500-700 yards. Your DD rifle I think has you covered out to the effective range of the 5.56. The accuracy difference in the two rifles is what, .25 MOA? I wouldn't think, unless you're doing some crazy small competition target shooting, you'd notice a difference.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Ruger stopped making the RPR in 223 due, in part, to primer cratering issues. Bushing the bolt/firing pin solves it, but many don’t want that hassle or expense and Ruger didn’t want to fix it from the factory (supply chain combined with volume, most likely).

I owned one, nice rifle, accurate with moderate/warm 80gr Amax and CCI450s thanks to 1:7 twist, mags allowed 2.60” OALs...but blanked primers on BHA Mk262 loads and couldn’t get comfortable using a chassis.

All that to say go 6.5 in RPR.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Ruger stopped making the RPR in 223 due, in part, to primer cratering issues. Bushing the bolt/firing pin solves it, but many don’t want that hassle or expense and Ruger didn’t want to fix it from the factory (supply chain combined with volume, most likely).

I owned one, nice rifle, accurate with moderate/warm 80gr Amax and CCI450s thanks to 1:7 twist, mags allowed 2.60” OALs...but blanked primers on BHA Mk262 loads and couldn’t get comfortable using a chassis.

I'm not familiar with that term. What is "primer cratering" ?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm not familiar with that term. What is "primer cratering" ?

The primer material flows into the firing pin hole...

E9yxDnq.jpg

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    (A $1500 rifle in a 50 cent caliber wouldn't make a lot of sense, IMO.)

There are two people on this thread that have at least that much tied up in a 22RF.:):

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd go with the 6.5 cm. It terms of the accuracy the Ruger gun offers you'd need to push it to ranges the 5.56 isn't designed for to see the difference. The 6.5 is a 1,000 yd or beyond cartridge. The 5.56 is 500-700 yards. Your DD rifle I think has you covered out to the effective range of the 5.56. The accuracy difference in the two rifles is what, .25 MOA? I wouldn't think, unless you're doing some crazy small competition target shooting, you'd notice a difference.
    I’ve got a nearly half moa load or two for my DD, so I’m not sure a RPR could even be 1/4 moa better with consistency.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

JRH84 has a 5.56 RPR that he shoots high power any/any with and it hammers. In his hands, it will deliver a High Master score with surprising regularity.

Yes, it craters primers. No, it doesn’t seem to hold him back.

Top Bottom