• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It seems like I see most rifles that have a folding bipod, have it folding toward the muzzle end of the rifle. That seems counter-intuitive to me. The recoil of the rifle is going to be toward the rear of the rifle, meaning the force exerted on the pivot point of the bipod woud be going in the path of least resistance - the "unlock" position.

It seems to me that it should fold up to the rear of the rifle, so that the recoil of the rifle would just be forcing it into the "locked" position.

What am I missing?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I mount mine so they fold towards the muzzle as well. On a few of my rifles having them fold towards the stock would hinder the ability to grab the underside of the stock. Thats the main reason i mount them the way i do. Never had one blow open when not in use and shooting from a standing position.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Your body prevents the rifle from moving to the rear, not the bipod. I get what you're saying in theory but (for me) shooting from a bipod means I'm "loading" the bipod so the legs need to fold to the front to handle the pressure I'm putting on the rifle.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Forward and load bipod, or don’t. Whatever you do, do it consistently, all the time. Either direction isn’t going to affect much of anything if all else is correct in your shot. Loading should be SLIGHT if used, enough that either direction should work. Just enough to not get a skip if bipod feet are on a smooth surface.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Your recoil will never overcome the lock up of even a cheap bipod. Your shoulder loading the butt stock will fold one up quick. Also it's nearly impossible to get a good foregrip with a bipod folded backwards.

I'm firmly in the loaded bipod camp. From every shooting position I have got myself into I can load up the rifle consistently. Unloaded has only proven useful on a bench.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Either direction isn’t going to affect much of anything if all else is correct in your shot. Loading should be SLIGHT if used, enough that either direction should work. Just enough to not get a skip if bipod feet are on a smooth surface.

Respectfully disagree. While I wholeheartedly agree with being consistent I have also found that all rifles aren't the same and while some will shoot fine with light loading others will not.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Your body prevents the rifle from moving to the rear, not the bipod. I get what you're saying in theory but (for me) shooting from a bipod means I'm "loading" the bipod so the legs need to fold to the front to handle the pressure I'm putting on the rifle.

This

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

This (and phylodog is a subject matter expert).

Proper use of a bipod includes the forward pressure.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    DD, I have often wondered the same thing. I'm glad you asked, I learned something useful on INGO today!

Top Bottom